Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Georgia V Ireland - Saturday, 6th September 2008 - World Cup 2010 Q - Mainz, Germany

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Georgia v Ireland - pre + in game chat

Irish Times is reporting that Trap has confirmed the starting line-up for the Georgia game.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/soc...372130298.html

Given

Finnan O'Shea Dunne Kilbane

McGeady S.Reid Whelan Hunt

Keane Doyle

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    As predicted but disappointed that Andy Reid is not included. The "Whelan situation" is a real conundrum. Of course I want him and the team to do well, but if he does perform he will cement his place in Trap's plans and he is nowhere near good enough to play international football or do a job against top opposition. Reid, Reid and Carsely are our most experienced and proven international performers and together offer everything that a midfield needs (guile, energy and defensive resolve), but this would mean dropping the 4-4-2 system. It has surely been apparent since the latter days of Kerr that we do not have the right blend of central midfield players to play 4-4-2 and yet we persist with a system that leaves us woefully exposed and forces us to leave one of our few genuine international class players out of the team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    pretty much as expected with duff out. id like to think if things arent going well he will introduce andy reid. id be much happier if he were in that central midfield position. cant wait for the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I think that not playing Andy Reid is a good decision, Andy Reid is not knowing for his tracking back and in an away game, he would not be beneficial to the team, I think that playing Whelan and Steven Reid is a solid base for an away game, they get stuck and give the ball to the creative wingers to create the chances, a standard away tactic, I think Andy Reid will play in the home games as we have to break down the team and with him in the team in Home game, that would be better for the team in that situation.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    andy reid wont give the ball away as much as the two picked which to me is a more solid base for an away game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    was in the independent this morning too: http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...d-1468979.html
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Cousin was out on Sunday night and was with a member of the Irish squad and he said Andy Reid was told he needs to lose another stone before he will be considered in traps plans!! He also said that the Stephen Ireland saga is a no go area. He isn’t returning in this campaign

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    No defence.

A mid-field that can't create.

Forwards that can't score.

It is better than Stan's effort but only because they are organised.

Back to the prayers again.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I think it's a good team that should do well. However, I would have chosen Andy Reid instead of Glenn Whelan. Whelan hasn't been playing for Stoke in the last couple of weeks and Andy Reid has been playing really well for Sunderland, going out of his way to be combative and to prove his fitness. The idea that he needs to lose a stone is ridiculous.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I think that not playing Andy Reid is a good decision, Andy Reid is not knowing for his tracking back and in an away game, he would not be beneficial to the team, I think that playing Whelan and Steven Reid is a solid base for an away game, they get stuck and give the ball to the creative wingers to create the chances, a standard away tactic, I think Andy Reid will play in the home games as we have to break down the team and with him in the team in Home game, that would be better for the team in that situation.

Trapp has selected the best side for the game. I would have no doubts re Whelan . He will add much to our team . Not too enamoured with O'Shea , but better than McShane.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Cousin was out on Sunday night and was with a member of the Irish squad and he said Andy Reid was told he needs to lose another stone before he will be considered in traps plans!! He also said that the Stephen Ireland saga is a no go area. He isn’t returning in this campaign
    Its incredible that such a pro player is so out of shape. Shame on his club
    The deepest layer of human thinking and feeling somehow knows that God must exist - Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by finnpark View Post
    Its incredible that such a pro player is so out of shape. Shame on his club
    thats a load of crap - hes been that way his whole career. its just his build. reid prob covers more ground on matchday than any other player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    At the end of the day Trap's an experienced manager who has won trophies. If he feels Whelan's a better choice then I have no reason to doubt this is the right decision, before we even kick a ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    ya i think we can all see the logic behind it. if we win the game i dont think any of us will complain. but as i said i hope he brings him in at some stage if we need some creativity if its not going to plan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    If Staunton made a decision similar to picking Whelan ahead of A Reid, there would be absolute uproar and calls for his head - even at the start of his reign. Maybe this was because most people knew immediately that Stan didn't have a clue what he was doing.

The feeling is different with Trap - and I believe rightly so. He genuinely has a plan for this team and a the style of play he wants to impose. I trust in his decisions - even though I would love to see A Reid there.

And at least the players are in positions they're comfortable with - Finnan is right back, Kilbane is playing left back at club level, two midfielders are traditional MF players, we've two proper wide men and strikers. There's a definite balance to the team.
    Last edited by lionelhutz; 04/09/2008 at 3:48 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,690 Posts
    I think most of us would prefer Reid over Whelan but it is what it is. There are 2 other threads open dealing with this situation and I for one can see the merit in Trap's thinking.

I honestly think a Reid & Reid combo would have Steven Reid playing deeper with Andy Reid dictating play further up. I'd say Trap sees a Steven Reid / Whelan combo as being more versatile and better able to dovetail. On the evidence of the first half in Norway I wouldn't disagree - our ball retention was superb, the balance was good, Steven Reid was a delight to behold and the passing was crisp, purposeful and accurate once we settled into the game.

No other contentious inclusions in my opinion. Hunt for Duff is straightforward, O'Shea & Dunne at CB is a no-brainer for me and I find it hard to understand how many here see otherwise. I liked what I saw of Delaney at LB but Kilbane was always going to start a game like this. I do have concerns that at home to Cyprus the Kilbane / Hunt combo on the left side was a shambles but hopefully it'll get better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hmmmmm...
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    we need better players to start coming out of the woodwork and fast but hey ho we should beat Georgia with that starting 11.

I just pray we start learning how to defend corners and set pieces. It'd also be nice if we started scoring from them......maybe we should seek England for tips on how to do this because in fairness it's where they get the majority of their goals from!!! Scoring in open play is not their forte.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinary Fan View Post
    No defence.

A mid-field that can't create.

Forwards that can't score.

It is better than Stan's effort but only because they are organised.

Back to the prayers again.
    Yeah we should give up now and not even bother watching the games
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Yeah we should give up now and not even bother watching the games
    Thats a very defeated attitude Dougal!
    I think I should the parachute, because I'm great.

In fact, I think I should get both parachutes, in case one doesn't work.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast