Thread: Strange Derby

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Strange Derby

January 31, 2005

eircom League Premier Division side Waterford United will take on the county’s hurling side in a specially-arranged charity match in aid of the GOAL Tsunami disaster appeal at United’s Regional Sports Centre next Friday week, February 11th.

Both sports are enjoying the crest of the wave in the county at present – Waterford United reached their first FAI Senior Cup final in 18 years last October, while the county’s hurlers are the reigning Munster senior hurling champions.

And the organizers will hope that that will translate into a major turn-out on the night.

As well as raising funds for GOAL, it is also hoped that two boats – aptly named The Blues and The Deise - will be commissioned, to be presented to a village in the disaster struck area.

Waterford player/manager Alan Reynolds said: “We were all touched by the scale of the disaster in South East Asia. Our own John Frost had only just come back from Thailand so his memories were fresh in the mind and he was one of the first to suggest we do something. I think it will be a fantastic night at the RSC and it is only a small thing we can do to help.”

Waterford hurling star Paul Flynn – who was once a budding goalkeeper at Aston Villa before turning his attentions to the sliotar – is also looking forward to the occasions.

He said: “When Alan first approached me there was no hesitation. I spoke to some of the players and got the blessing of the County Board so we will bring as full a panel as we can to the RSC. And we’ll be looking for the win!”

The game will kick off at 7.30pm, and admission is €10 for adults and €5 for children.

--------------------------

fair play to all involved.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    didnt flynn play in goal for waterford bohs in an fai junior final i think

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary
    January 31, 2005

Both sports are enjoying the crest of the wave in the county at present – Waterford United reached their first FAI Senior Cup final in 18 years last October, while the county’s hurlers are the reigning Munster senior hurling champions.

I think someone else pointed this out but it's a very poor choice of words by the journo responsible
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.