Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Gary Rogers in Ireland squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    In Premier Div certainly Supple is leading the way, Niall Corbet at UCD is a decent keeper he has developed well from the UCD u/19 set up over the last few years. would have competed with McGuinness for a starting berth with the FAI Schools Leinster team in the Interprovincial Tournaments / International Schools, McGuinness always seemed to get the nod to start, he was good at Bray played 44 league games in two seasons although last season he was injured after the first 17 and that was it for the season, doing well at the Drogs, think its 10 clean sheats ion 19 games, been getting a few write ups too. Jack Brady I agree average, Waterford have used three different keepers this season says it all. Paul Hunt was decent at Longford and has been adequate with Cobh not playing as well as he may do this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I know the 21's had games which would have tied the best two up none the less there are a few you mentioned could have had an opportunity!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    There was no opportunity. He was a body on the bench and in training. He seemed to have enjoyed it so no harm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    Sava is quality. Rogers is good but old and slower now. Bred as a gah keeper too so bad habits picked up along the way.
    Sava is a good shot stopper but he is by no means "quality".
    You've got no fans.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GC13 View Post
    In Premier Div certainly Supple is leading the way
    He's played five games. He might turn out to be a good keeper at this level but the idea he's leading anything is bonkers. Rogers and McNulty are the best keepers in the league by some way, followed by Clarke and Doherty.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaraa View Post
    Sava is quality. Rogers is good but old and slower now. Bred as a gah keeper too so bad habits picked up along the way.
    Rogers is fitter and leaner now quite possibly than earlier in his career. He did give us the odd heart attack moments last season that he has cut out this season (cue the clanger moment now that i've said this). His concentration levels have improved too. At 34 it isnt past it as a keeper as if anything he has to have improved technique diving for example rather than throwing himself in to a dive and just hitting the deck as he probably doesnt recover as quickly post match as he would have in younger days. I'm not sure what bad habits you mean and I'm not being smart as Id be interested in what you mean as he has made more appearances for Drogheda than anyone else. He also quit GAA at 16 or 17 so has had plenty of time playing the world game. When training with Ireland as part of his coaching badges stuff one of the comments made by Martin O'Neill was on how he coped well and kept up with the rigours of the training the keepers were put through for a player that is not full-time in the strictest sense. I am not defending him with Lilywhite tinted specs just interested in the specifics of your reservations about him. I didnt see much of him earlier in his career regularly so I dont know how much slower he has become but he is certainly not slower this season compared to last season.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Gary Rogers is a decent to good 'keeper - probably no less and no more.

While I can understand the reported interest in Brian Murphy by Dundalk, there are no other current LOI keepers that would be an obvious or significant improvement

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Rogers kicking is bad though. Every match when he was with us at least one goal kick went directly out of play. Kicking when it was passed back to him wasnt great either. In general there isnt much between most of the goalies in the Premier Division. Clarke is probably the best with the ball at his feet and suits our style of play the best but just makes too many mistakes to be a top goalie. Mcnulty kicking is weak from what I can recall granted I havent seem him that much. Schlingermann is decent and a good shot stopper.
    Last edited by kksaints; 14/09/2016 at 7:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    If only Richard Brush was Irish
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If only Richard Brush was Irish
    Ciaran Gallagher would be called up to the interntional squad instead?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Ciaran Gallagher would be called up to the interntional squad instead?
    Would we be allowed to postpone games too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Would we be allowed to postpone games too?
    Only if it's meant to inconvenience Dundalk but ultimately backfires.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Only if it's meant to inconvenience Dundalk but ultimately backfires.
    The only thing more annoying than Stephen Kenny moaning about a fixture pileup he likely pushed to create himself is having to listen to Kenny Shields speak for any length of time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Rogers is fitter and leaner now quite possibly than earlier in his career. He did give us the odd heart attack moments last season that he has cut out this season (cue the clanger moment now that i've said this). His concentration levels have improved too. At 34 it isnt past it as a keeper as if anything he has to have improved technique diving for example rather than throwing himself in to a dive and just hitting the deck as he probably doesnt recover as quickly post match as he would have in younger days. I'm not sure what bad habits you mean and I'm not being smart as Id be interested in what you mean as he has made more appearances for Drogheda than anyone else. He also quit GAA at 16 or 17 so has had plenty of time playing the world game. When training with Ireland as part of his coaching badges stuff one of the comments made by Martin O'Neill was on how he coped well and kept up with the rigours of the training the keepers were put through for a player that is not full-time in the strictest sense. I am not defending him with Lilywhite tinted specs just interested in the specifics of your reservations about him. I didnt see much of him earlier in his career regularly so I dont know how much slower he has become but he is certainly not slower this season compared to last season.

Any chance of tonights euromillions numbers Nesta?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    Last night was a prime example of why Rogers is not the best goalkeeper in the league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Rodgers also made an absolute clanger when playing for Sligo Rovers against Rosenberg. He managed to flap a corner straight into the net, making the score two one on the night which probably cost Rovers the tie overall.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    He's played five games. He might turn out to be a good keeper at this level but the idea he's leading anything is bonkers. Rogers and McNulty are the best keepers in the league by some way, followed by Clarke and Doherty.
    Since coming in at Bohs he has produced better performances than any of the keepers you mentioned, very early I agree, McNulty makes some regular howlers, Rogers made one last night and against Cobh in Cup Clarke was poor. The last mentioned is better them them all - Derry City's Doherty! All based on performance - yes whether we like it or not its our current performances!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    All goalkeepers make howlers. If the new Bohs keeper hasn't its because he hasn't played enough games yet.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    All goalkeepers make howlers. If the new Bohs keeper hasn't its because he hasn't played enough games yet.
    Yes exactly. Everyone makes mistakes but keepers are critised more.

Is Rogers the best keeper in the league? I hope so
    Would I replace him with any other keeper in the league? Nope.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    Yes exactly. Everyone makes mistakes but keepers are critised more.

Is Rogers the best keeper in the league? I hope so
    Would I replace him with any other keeper in the league? Nope.
    Exactly how I feel about Nults. Not much between the top keepers, and certainly not enough to justify bringing someone else in.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast