Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Limerick FC Officially First Division Champions

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    918 Posts
    A weak division, yes, but you can only play what's put in front of you. But a huge disparity at times in the games I saw, between players operating at the same level.

But hey, there'a always that 5k coming down the line to make it all better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Congrats to Limerick!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lim till i die View Post
    The First Division is absolutely terrible.

Below us, outside of UCD, Drogs and Cobh it's actually a disgrace.
    Are Waterford, Shelbourne and Athlone that bad?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    I made it to the thrashing we gave Waterford in the MF, when the collection plate was going round, and yeah, they really are. I've seen UCD and Drogs games too, and they are decent sides that will probably stagnate if left in the lower tier too long (which is happening to Shels). Athlone's troubles are well documented. Cabinteely don't actually seem genuinely interested in LOI. Cobh I can't really comment too much on, but seem like the sort of team that could make a go of promotion with not much more improvement.

It's a bad division, and Limerick's drop into it gets ever more grating in retrospect. It's a horrible problem child with no reasonable fix given the circumstances of the league.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The First Division is absolutely terrible.

Below us, outside of UCD, Drogs and Cobh it's actually a disgrace.

We do have much, much, better players than Longford though.

Our goal difference is +55 (FIFTY FIVE).

We will finish inside the top ten in the premier next year.
    Cabo and Athlone have an average ago of about 15 is why. The other two are managed by Roddy and Heary. It's no wonder you walked the league when you're the only side with any senior players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Cabo and Athlone have an average ago of about 15 is why. The other two are managed by Roddy and Heary.
    Like I said.

A disgrace.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    They're all going to get better though. Maybe not Athlone, but Cabo are breeding future generations of Limerick players, and Waterford and Shels will improve when they get rid of their spoofers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    They're all going to get better though. Maybe not Athlone, but Cabo are breeding future generations of First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC players, and Waterford and Shels will improve when they get rid of their spoofers.
    Cabo have as much interest in competing in the LoI as Barcelona do.

I think you'll find most of our future players are already winding down their careers on the fringes of the likes of Pats and Shamrock.

Waterford United are dead. Sure roddy and his family and friends are down picking the last bits of rotten flesh off the carcass but that will end soon.

They won't be left go fully to the wall too much political clout in abbotstown but it's a long way back from the foot of the first division unless a pat o sullivan rides into town on his mule.

The economy down there makes Limerick city look like silicon valley aswell which doesn't help and their terrible loser hurlers are the flavour of the month.

shelbourne athletic won't be a "big" club again for decades.

No ground, no fans, no players.

What exact purpose do they serve anymore??

A feeder club for Pats??

A dodgy back alley betting syndicate??

A youth club for tweens to act out their fantasies of being English and really stupid??

An atm for fellas that Ollie Byrne owed money??

I genuinely don't see any meaningful future there. I'm sure they can plod along as dublins fifth team for years to come but so what??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'm sure many people would have said the same about Wexford as you've said about Cabo and they've really built a club from scratch there. Sure people probably said the same about Limerick when you had no ground and no bandwagon. Hell, people might have said it about Rovers, I dunno. There's a lot to admire about them even if obviously they don't have the means to be challenging for promotion, and I don't think it's a Salthill Devon-type vanity project. I know you're probably trolling but still.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts

A feeder club for Pats??

A youth club for tweens to act out their fantasies of being English and really stupid??

Something similar could have been written about much of Dundalks recent spell in the first division. It can be turned around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Any there any solid plans afoot to expand the Markets Field ahead of PD football? I know it should be fit for purpose as it is but I'm aware that expansion plans exist.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    No there are no plans. The LEDP have pretty much said they see no need to expand so won't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    909 Posts
    It is not so much expansion as improving facilities for those that currently go. Seeing it 3 or 4 deep on a flat tarmac area would mean there is scope for terraced seating without increasing capacity. Limerick in Europe in a couple of seasons and already its catch up. Why not try to add something even small things each year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    That's the way most Limerick fans would look at it nesta. A few were even criticised for bring up such ideas when the initial plans came out from the LEDP. The answer has pretty much been "why would you need anything more than the current stand and terrace you have when you can only pull in max 2,000".

For the cup final there are already issues with only a certain amount of stand tickets available.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    Markets Field desperately needs more spectator facilities in my opinion. Limerick football will only continue to grow at this rate. They're already filling the seats in Markets Field as it is and the promotion to the Premier will only increase demand. Terracing the Popular side should be next on the agenda for them.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    189 Posts
    Have they done anything with the side of the pitch that's on the same side as the main stand? The main stand looked great when I saw it last year but the rest of that side was just a building site...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Have they done anything with the side of the pitch that's on the same side as the main stand? The main stand looked great when I saw it last year but the rest of that side was just a building site...
    They knocked the building that was there to the right of the stand as you look at it. Some of it has been tarmaced. The big hole in the wall that was there is another exit now also.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Markets Field desperately needs more spectator facilities in my opinion. Limerick football will only continue to grow at this rate. They're already filling the seats in Markets Field as it is and the promotion to the Premier will only increase demand. Terracing the Popular side should be next on the agenda for them.
    Getting the LEDP to do anything is going to be a bigger task than winning a league, or three. A few sell-outs now and then doesn't cut it.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,394 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Getting the LEDP to do anything is going to be a bigger task than winning a league, or three. A few sell-outs now and then doesn't cut it.
    Has huge potential to be a top class stadium. A real pity it'll likely be left as it is. Just feels totally unfinished and almost thrown together as it is, especially outside of the main stand.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I'd be hoping (and it's probably a big hope), that the fact there is a contract there with Munster for use as a rugby ground as well for schoolboy and reserve games that maybe some government grants could be gotten towards more development.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts
    Cabo have as much interest in competing in the LoI as Barcelona do.

I think you'll find most of our future players are already winding down their careers on the fringes of the likes of Pats and Shamrock.

Waterford United are dead. Sure roddy and his family and friends are down picking the last bits of rotten flesh off the carcass but that will end soon.

They won't be left go fully to the wall too much political clout in abbotstown but it's a long way back from the foot of the first division unless a pat o sullivan rides into town on his mule.

The economy down there makes Limerick city look like silicon valley aswell which doesn't help and their terrible loser hurlers are the flavour of the month.

A feeder club for Pats??

I genuinely don't see any meaningful future there. I'm sure they can plod along as dublins fifth team for years to come but so what??
    I have kids playing schoolboy football with cabo . with the upcoming national under 15 leagues they might be able to attract players from joeys etc and feed them through into senior team in time...long game but they have a reasonable plan and they are a real community club. Can't see them drawing crowds though especially in Stradbrook which is a dive

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast