To be fair, neither has Horgan.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    300 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He's a level below. Apples and oranges. Shodipo has not proven himself at Championship level- yet.
    They play in a similar position, and I said 'arguably', only in reference to the debate above.

And have we established that Horgan's a 'proven' Championship player? I'm not so sure that we have. Wycombe are rock bottom, 13 points from safety and with a GD 14 worse than their nearest rival. And I'd suggest that was largely down to the lack of 'proven' Championship quality in their team.
    Last edited by Trequartista20; 06/02/2021 at 6:09 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well Horgan has 60+ Championship appearances so he seems fairly established.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Well Horgan has 60+ Championship appearances so he seems fairly established.
    I'm not sure about that. He never even managed a 50% appearance record in any of his seasons at Preston. This year he's playing in a Championship team in name only, Wycombe are a league 1 standard side.

I saw a lot of Horgan up close at Hibs. He always looked like a player that was about to turn into something special but was never able to kick on as seemed like he would. Rarely finished games that he started and most of his best work was coming in off the bench. And the Hibs teams he played in were League 1 standard at best. He should have been a standout at that level but he just wasn't. To put it into context Jonny Hayes was far more successful in Scotland than Horgan but you never hear him being suggested for a call up.

If it hadn't been for his stint in the League of Ireland years ago I don't think anyone would be calling for him to be picked, being honest.

5. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Who is calling for Horgan to be picked? There's a queue that Horgan is well down. He moved up the queue due to COVID complications and injury and did okay. There's nobody screaming for him to be starting or even in the squad based on some form of romantic support for the LOI. Come on.

7. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    The last two pages of the thread include a number of calls for his continued selection in the squad.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    The last two pages of the thread include a number of calls for his continued selection in the squad.
    Okay. I went back through the two pages of this thread and I saw a couple to faint compliments towards his contributions but nothing like "a number of calls for his continued selection in the squad."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    He did play well when selected, even though he wasn't in the initial squad, maybe Kenny can get something out of him.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad in March, but I wouldn't select him myself

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    He did play well when selected, even though he wasn't in the initial squad, maybe Kenny can get something out of him.
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him in the squad in March, but I wouldn't select him myself
    My view too and probably the view of most of the posters that have been positive towards him in the last two pages.

13. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'm not sure about that. He never even managed a 50% appearance record in any of his seasons at Preston. This year he's playing in a Championship team in name only, Wycombe are a league 1 standard side.

I saw a lot of Horgan up close at Hibs. He always looked like a player that was about to turn into something special but was never able to kick on as seemed like he would. Rarely finished games that he started and most of his best work was coming in off the bench. And the Hibs teams he played in were League 1 standard at best. He should have been a standout at that level but he just wasn't. To put it into context Jonny Hayes was far more successful in Scotland than Horgan but you never hear him being suggested for a call up.

If it hadn't been for his stint in the League of Ireland years ago I don't think anyone would be calling for him to be picked, being honest.
    But Hayes was called up when he was at Aberdeen before? I don't think Horgan is a world class player but any strength but he does have abilities no other Irish player has right now bar McGeady, and that's obviously useful to a coach. I wouldn't be fussed if McGeady was called up ahead of Horgan, for the record.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Just getting back to Shodipo himself, it is a tricky one - on the one hand, he is playing in League One, often only as a sub and, with the Serbia game only seven weeks away, surely it would be folly to give him a debut cap in that game. On the other hand, he's on a remarkable run of form - ten goals in the season, with eight in the last twelve games. Plus if you add up the minutes he's actually played, it's closer to ten goals in thirteen games. If we wait for him to start playing at Championship level again to cap him, we may not get the chance to use him in a qualifying international until 2023, even if he makes a big breakthrough to the QPR first team in August - so if we wanted to be daring, that first friendly against Qatar is starting to look like a potential first international for him.

In particular, he seems to have a penchant for scoring off the bench, which could be a handy trait if we're chasing a point against Portugal or on the verge of blowing a playoff place by drawing with Luxembourg

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    And he's only gone and scored again - eleventh of the season for Shodipo, which makes him joint top scorer for Oxford:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/54850475

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Impressive considering he is not a striker and he rarely plays the full 90 for them. Still only 23, so could be a useful player for us yet at senior level at some point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Scoring for fun in the English third tier? That's more than we can say for Troy Parrott, who's in some people's proposed teams for Serbia. He'll need keep at it after moving up a tier before he's really an option - as insipid as some of our midfield play is, it's worth remembering that Paul Green was a beast in the Championship and international football is a step up from that - but he'd hardly be the first player to make it for us after climbing the divisions. Mark Kinsella was around his age when he stepped up from Colchester (4th tier) to Charlton (2nd) and then got promoted with them.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    If he keeps this up, we'll have to start calling him... wait for it... Golamide Shodipo!

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, you've been a great audience. Don't forget to tip your waiter!

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    If he keeps this up, we'll have to start calling him... wait for it... Golamide Shodipo!

Thank you ladies and gentlemen, you've been a great audience. Don't forget to tip your waiter!

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Hasn't been as prolific in recent months but opened the scoring today, to bring him to double figures in the league: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/56960299

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Finishes his loan spell with a flourish, with yet another goal off the bench, too late to save Oxford from defeat - finishes with thirteen in all competitions for the season: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57110428

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    #QPR winger Olamide Shodipo has joined Sheffield Wednesday on a season-long loan.

Full details here: https://bit.ly/ShodipoLoan
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Pity it's not a level higher, but if he does it again for a second League 1 side he'll have a fairly established reputation.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast