Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Kelly (M Feyenoord (loaned to Oxford) b.1995)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Was moved deeper into midfield in the second half and has looked very accomplished. Always showing for the ball and looking up. Losing 4-0 now though after a couple of quick-fire Rashford goals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    That's gold Jerry, gold.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Thought he was really good. As Delorean said, he was always looking for the ball. Very forward-thinking. Played one beauty of a ball onto the head of Kermorgant in the box. Played another accurate diagonal ball shortly after to the left wing. Looks a very good player in the making.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    That second one you mentioned was Scholes/Alonso like.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Thought he was really good. As Delorean said, he was always looking for the ball. Very forward-thinking. Played one beauty of a ball onto the head of Kermorgant in the box. Played another accurate diagonal ball shortly after to the left wing. Looks a very good player in the making.
    What I think of whenever anyone mentions Yann Kermorgrant.

Should have played on the wing.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    That second one you mentioned was Scholes/Alonso like.
    Definitely. And he made it look so effortless.

I don't think he could have done much defensively when he went into a deeper role but you just have to compare his impact on the game with that of Danny Williams (who seemed lost inside there) to see how well he did.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    So he is English born, and it's through his grandparents he has qualified, but he seems very happy to do so. I think I had read someplace he was Irish born but moved when very young, anyway, not the case. Hopefully this call up and him accepting it without any delay, is the first of many.

Quote Originally Posted by Independent View Post
    As his stalling career reach a tipping point last season, Ireland new-boy Liam Kelly wondered if his chance would ever come.
    The youngster who has been called up to the Ireland senior squad for the first time ahead of the World Cup qualifier against Wales later this month was overlooked by a succession of Reading managers and cast aside by Ireland’s junior sides despite some sparking performances in his fledging international career, the one factor holding Kelly back was a problem he simply couldn’t solve.
    A little like a certain Lionel Messi a decade before him, 5’7” Kelly was considered to be too short to make it as a professional footballer in an era when brawn was valued more than brains and sublime raw talent.

It mattered not that he had more natural ability in both feet than most of the senior professionals around him at Reading, as Kelly was ‘that short kid’ who did not have the physical attributes to make it in the rough and tough world of England’s Championship division.
    Just when it seemed like his cause was lost, former Manchester United talisman was appointed as Reading manager last summer and in an instant, Kelly’s world was transformed.

It didn’t take long for Stam and his coaching staff to appreciate that the kid discarded by others would be a perfect fit for the passing football that were determined to bring to Reading and they slowly set about integrating him into their first team plans.
    With Kelly operating on the same youth team contract that was due to run out this summer, he made his Championship debut against Rotherham in October and has not looked back since.

A bumper new contract was presented to Kelly in January and while he still lives at home with his parents in their humble Basingstoke home for now, his star is finally shooting at last.
    Described by Stam as world-class in December, this little maestro has turned games for Reading with moments of magic as either a starter or super-sub and the Ireland coaching team have acknowledged his sparkling form by naming the 21-year-old in the Ireland squad for the vital World Cup qualifier against Wales in Dublin later this month.

Kelly may well be trimmed from the list when boss Martin O’Neill reduces his pool of players in the coming days, but this call-up will be welcomed by a shy young man who granted me his first interview a few days after he became an YouTube sensation after he scored a wonder goal from the half-way line for Ireland’s under-19s against Sweden in October 2013.

“I always knew there was a possibility that I could play for Ireland and it is something I was desperate to do,” stated English-born Kelly, who qualifies for Ireland via his Mayo-born grandfather Tony and his Leitrim-born grandmother Mary.

“The pride I felt pulling on the green shirt was fantastic and when you hear the anthem being played, you get that special feeling, one you will never get playing at club level. I feel so privileged to play for Ireland and to see the pride in my parents and grandparents with the way it has gone has been brilliant.”
    Liam’s prowess from set-pieces may be the most exciting aspect of his talents, with his diminutive stature meaning he would provide a very different type of midfield option for a future Ireland team than we have been used to in recent years, with the fame his goal in Sweden has given him hardly turning his head as he keeps his youthful feet firmly planted in his stable family set-up.

“The Youtube hits on that goal have been amazing and I have another couple of free-kicks on there that have been downloaded loads of time as well,” Kelly told me with a smile. “It is pretty cool, but it is not something I worry too much about.
    “I’m pleased that goal in Sweden was caught on TV because it will probably never happen again. You can’t really practice that can you, scoring goals from the half-way line.

“I work on my free-kicks every day after training and you have to do that if you want to get good at them. That part of the game is all about practice and it is great when it pays off in a game, but the Sweden goal was a once in a lifetime kind of moment.”

While it is premature to suggest this impish little starlet could one day be hailed as the ‘Irish Messi’, Kelly is fortunate to be making his way in the game at a time when smaller players are getting their chances to breakthrough alongside more powerful youthful stars.

“I never let my height worry me,” he stresses. “I just wanted to play football and it has been good enough to get me into a team at whatever level I was playing at.

“Frank Lampard was an idol for me growing up as my Dad was a Chelsea fan, but I also looked at guys like Andres Iniesta, Lionel Messi, Xavi and they are all small in stature and haven’t done too bad in their careers. They are the best in the world at playing football and that shows what is possible.”
    It is when we get to the subject of ambitions that Kelly offers his most enchanting opinions, as while some in his position may dream of the day when they purchase their first Ferrari, this youngster who is about to sign his first professional contract with Reading.

“My big ambition is to try and look after my family one day and say they don’t have to work any more,” adds the boy wonder whose proud mother Christine plies her trade in a bank and Chelsea-loving father Joe works for the local council.

“Mum and Dad drove me everywhere across the country since day one and it would be great to pay them back one day.”
    This is the story of a young man with sublime talent who has beaten the system in many ways to reach the top in the game.

Ireland have not produced too many superstars in recent years, but Liam Kelly has the potential to become a glistening gem amid the next generation of international hopefuls.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    My first thoughts on hearing his call-up.

https://twitter.com/RobBrennan82/sta...55578219483138

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

And nothing to do with Kelly making 20 league apps in a side with a serious eye on the Prem playoffs Vs a lad with 11 apps in a side mired in mid table ?

Let's face it, had it been Manning over Kelly you'd have been on here hinting negatively at why that was as well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts

My first thoughts were that you'd post something expressing cynicism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    It's weird how me and Rob drew the same conclusion.

We must have telepathy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts

Not really your thoughts though, are they?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Very similar to what I was thinking before I went on his Twitter.

In fairness, I don't think either of them would have much of a chance of featuring against even Iceland due to our propensity of options in midfield, so maybe they thought it was more prudent to call up Kelly rather than Manning.

Kelly might appreciate the overture and it's not like Manning is going anywhere.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Very similar to what I was thinking before I went on his Twitter.

In fairness, I don't think either of them would have much of a chance of featuring against even Iceland due to our propensity of options in midfield, so maybe they thought it was more prudent to call up Kelly rather than Manning.

Kelly might appreciate the overture and it's not like Manning is going anywhere.
    Kelly is as neat and tidy a midfielder as I have seen in some time. Recall a couple of his Championship games and then the game at Old Trafford in the Cup where he was one of the best players on show. Am confident that he'll be a big contributor to our cause in the coming years.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mark12345 View Post
    Kelly is as neat and tidy a midfielder as I have seen in some time. Recall a couple of his Championship games and then the game at Old Trafford in the Cup where he was one of the best players on show. Am confident that he'll be a big contributor to our cause in the coming years.
    Agreed. I think he is similar Wes but could have a career as a deeper lying playmaker like Xabi Alonso.

Funny how it goes when he's leapfrogged Jack Byrne by some distance. Just goes to show how important some decisions are. If only Jack hadn't gone to Blackburn and if only Jaap Stam hadn't taken over Reading.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I was hoping for Pirlo but I suppose I'd settle for Alonso.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Kelly continues to impress, hoping for Ireland call in summer.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-35630894.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    If that interview doesn't calm Stutts' gut, then nothing will

Great to read such pride in the call up. Can't wait to see him in action - a deep lying ball player to take the ball from our defenders is a skill we are desperately short of.

21. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Shameless, begging for a call-up Richard Keogh-style

23. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Tarts, both of them. That's why Hogan and Field are holding out, the teasers!

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast