Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Kelly (M Feyenoord (loaned to Oxford) b.1995)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    If Kelly is wanted by England, O'Neill should tell Southgate that it is racist as all Catholic players with Irish names are ours and ours only. He should also demand a gentleman's agreement whereby all players who represented us between the ages of 17 and 21 should not be targeted. This will ensure Kelly remains with us.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    558 Posts
    Would Liam kelly have got much of a chance with Martin O’ Neill in any case ? In important / qualifiers games like .

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Would Liam kelly have got much of a chance with Martin O’ Neill in any case ? In important / qualifiers games like .
    I would rather see Browne or Hourihane get the nod in any such role ahead of Kelly. At least I think I thunk that before this anyway...

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Good luck to him.
    At least it wasn’t drawn out like the Grealish situation

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    482 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    For some reason, I think there is more to this than just Liam Kelly waiting for a call from England.

Call it a hunch!
    Is this related to your hunch! ?

https://m.independent.ie/sport/socce...-36734289.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    If that’s true then o’neills comments have been pure reckless.Now where can we find a fella to ask him to explain himself?....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Good. I said he had come off after 60 minutes for Reading at the weekend after scoring. And the England idea is a bit unrealistic. Really poor communication on his part though. And MON did a good job of testing his commitment publicly.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    If that’s true then o’neills comments have been pure reckless.Now where can we find a fella to ask him to explain himself?....
    Don't you think he was testing the commitment? I think if Kelly has pulled put a few times then he has cast doubt himself. MON has sought to drive Kelly one way or there other with his comments. No harm. They won't be reckless if Kelly is totally committed. Being at the mercy of Jack Grealish somewhat must linger large.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Possibly yeah, but if so,is it not another example of O’Neill placing his inflated ego over the good of the country?The man has a humility deficit. Who knows what comments yer man is after getting in the last few days.Could end up putting him off altogether.I’d rather O’Neill wasn’t ‘testing’ young players commitment on my behalf.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    853 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Don't you think he was testing the commitment? I think if Kelly has pulled put a few times then he has cast doubt himself. MON has sought to drive Kelly one way or there other with his comments. No harm. They won't be reckless if Kelly is totally committed. Being at the mercy of Jack Grealish somewhat must linger large.
    Do you attribute him with that level of awareness strategy here ? Is that why he was still speaking of Declan Rice as a potential England player til the other day, with the fella in the country to play for us ?

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    This is all total nonsense. We have no reason to doubt MON when he said that he tried to ring Kelly a number of times and only received a text back. If Kelly was serious about still playing for Ireland he could have had the manner to pick up the damn phone.

Now having said all that, if he is injured and MON has just thrown him under the bus that's a whole other conversation..... maybe he wanted a different story floating around this week so he wouldn't get any more questions about the Stoke thing etc (tinfoil hat is firmly on coming up with that theory)
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    O’Neill has thrown him under the bus whatever way you look at it.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    O’Neill has thrown him under the bus whatever way you look at it.
    Yeah but if Kelly is acting the p***k then its deserved

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    no new quotes from player or managers in that article.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    No,we’re too short of resources to have him publicly disclosing communication details and speculating in the way he has.Its bad leadership and it shows all the other players, and potential players that O’Neill can’t be trusted,he’ll sell you out if he starts getting media heat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin O'Neill
    "You might want to ask about Liam Kelly who I think wants to keep his options open at this minute.

"Obviously he's born in England and wants to keep those options open and that's fine."

"What did I do? I did actually leave a message or two and he got back to me by text."

"I've always said here that it's the player's choice. It's exactly what it is and if he wants to think that England might come in, that's entirely his decision."

"He had not returned a lot of calls coming through at the time (when named in squad). Despite the fact that I knew where he was born, I thought that was okay. I spoke to his agent quite some considerable time ago and I think that was always going to be okay, I felt. He was in the squad before and had to pull out with a hamstring problem."

"Ah lads, lads, it's the name of the game," (when asked if a call would have been better than a text)
    The way i see it there are 3 possibilities here.

Either...

1. Kelly indicated via text that he wasn't available and gave not wanting to tie himself to us as a reason for his withdrawal
    2. Kelly indicated via text that he wasn't available, giving a different reason, be it injury or something else.
    3. Kelly pulled out giving no reason at all.

Unless and until we know what was actually in the text i don't feel it fair to cast judgement on O'Neill's comments, or Kelly's motives.

If it was scenario 1 O'Neill has been quite restrained. If there is an issue about him wanting to keep his options with England open I don't want him anywhere near the squad. We are a nation with a proud footballing history. I don't see why a cap for our senior international team should be equivalent to a late night booty call after the girl he actually wanted the shift with got in a taxi home on her own.

In scenario 2 O'Neill has been a little trigger happy to say the least. He has perhaps seen parallels with the Grealish situation and got the wrong end of the stick. On the other the player may well be under pressure from his agent/club not to commit to anything. By saying what he has said O'Neill will take a bit of heat in the short term, but he has forced the issue and has headed off the possibility of another year long saga as happened with Grealish.

If it's scenario 3 O'Neill is more justified in filling in the blanks. There may still be a way back, but Kelly really needs to be more professional and return his missed calls. He's still young enough at 22 that this can be put down to inexperience, but he would need to learn the lessons of this.

One thing is for sure, we've not heard the last of this.
    Last edited by backstothewall; 22/03/2018 at 9:18 PM.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    No,we’re too short of resources to have him publicly disclosing communication details and speculating in the way he has.Its bad leadership and it shows all the other players, and potential players that O’Neill can’t be trusted,he’ll sell you out if he starts getting media heat.
    Too short of resources my hole...that's a ridiculous argument that people put out in times like this and it's total bulls*it. We've plenty of other players if it comes to pass that Liam Kelly doesn't want to represent Ireland, in the exact same way we had plenty of other players in place of Jack Grealish.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    The article makes complete sense, the good news... with a bit of diplomacy we can get him on board which would be fantastic and he brings a degree of creativity we have lost with Wes' retirement. Don't worry about blame, I am sure it will be sorted out behind closed doors.
    Last edited by gastric; 22/03/2018 at 9:38 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Delicately put Nige but in relation to your hole,you’re talking out of it,as standard.You’ve missed the point that the way O’Neill deals with Kelly could affect the decisions of potential players.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast