Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Kelly (M Feyenoord (loaned to Oxford) b.1995)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizzer View Post
    Delicately put Nige but in relation to your hole,you’re talking out of it,as standard.You’ve missed the point that the way O’Neill deals with Kelly could affect the decisions of potential players.
    Well, it's been said many times before, but if a player makes a decision on their international future based on who is the manager, then they're not worth the time or effort.

This isn't club football.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    The article makes complete sense, the good news... with a bit of diplomacy we can get him on board which would be fantastic and he brings a degree of creativity we have lost with Wes' retirement. Don't worry about blame, I am sure it will be sorted out behind closed doors.
    I don't see anything in that article that isn't consistent with Kelly sending a text message mentioning his desire not to be permnently tied to us.

Independent.ie understands that Kelly's primary motivation during this international break was to focus on his efforts to be fully fit for Reading's final eight games of the season
    The term "primary motivation" jumps out at me. What was his secondary motivation??
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    We love a bit of drama don't we. In a week where we have quite a few lads making full debuts we waste time talking about the one that's not there and I'm as guilty as anyone.... I still haven't even managed to figure out how to watch the game as its not being shown anywhere in the States!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I appreciate this is a delicate subject, but let's not resort to personal insults.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    I don't see anything in that article that isn't consistent with Kelly sending a text message mentioning his desire not to be permnently tied to us.

The term "primary motivation" jumps out at me. What was his secondary motivation??
    I don't forensically read newspaper articles or situations tbh, I think it's an age thing! I feel the article gives a logical explanation for his non appearance and nowhere does it mention a desire to actually represent England over us. What I will say is, if there a desire to make this work on both sides, it will happen. It is also good to see his commitment to helping Reading avoid relegation!

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    1. Kelly indicated via text that he wasn't available and gave not wanting to tie himself to us as a reason for his withdrawal
    2. Kelly indicated via text that he wasn't available, giving a different reason, be it injury or something else.
    3. Kelly pulled out giving no reason at all.

Unless and until we know what was actually in the text i don't feel it fair to cast judgement on O'Neill's comments, or Kelly's motives.
    So we have textgate, it didn't take long to be back at it now did it with again regrettably MONs communication to the press under early scrutiny again.
    If, if, that lad (despite making a right balls of this, granted) has not indicated that his reasons are England related, why on earth would MON see fit to introduce that to the mix as conjecture.

His communication failings grow very f*cking tedious at this stage.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    If, if, that lad (despite making a right balls of this, granted) has not indicated that his reasons are England related, why on earth would MON see fit to introduce that to the mix as conjecture.
    I agree it's a big if. It also seems unlikely that either party would reveal the contents of that message so i suspect we'll not find out exactly what was said for quite some time.

As i said there is a possibility that O'Neill was trying to force the issue. It's idle speculation, but that's the case with anyone who hasn't seen the contents of that text. If that's the case he has been very effective, or it could be that O'Neill has done something very odd. That's the thing with O'Neill. You're never quite sure. The fact that he was Brian Clough's captain suggest to me that there is a least an element of the unpredictability in his actions being very deliberate.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Maybe Liam Kelly realised that he is not physically big enough to play Martin O’ Neill’s style of football and attempted to go missing to avoid embarrassment all round = Plan = Backfired

How are Liam's Grandmothers ?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Unfairness I’d find it hard to play for Martin O Neill’s style......but that is because I ain’t no good .

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Well, it's been said many times before, but if a player makes a decision on their international future based on who is the manager, then they're not worth the time or effort.

This isn't club football.
    What a load of total nonsense. Who cares how many times it's been said, it's still ridiculous. Of course players are influenced to declare for us/or not to/or to wait, based on the manager, sure they're even influenced by who's the assistant manager. if they're good enough players, they are worth the effort.
    You are right when you point out that it's not club football, and that's exactly why O'Neill needs to stop treating the job like he's at a club, which can buy and sell players.
    He needs to cop on, shut up and get on with trying to win games instead of playing schoolyard games.
    Le monde est a nous

15. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    O’Neill needs to realise / be told that the Ireland Mangers Job is a bigger Job than Him . He is just the Current Custodian .

Confidence is a good thing but arrogance is no good to man or beast .

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    O’Neill needs to realise / be told that the Ireland Mangers Job is a bigger Job than Him . He is just the Current Custodian .

Confidence is a good thing but arrogance is no good to man or beast .
    where exactly is the MO'N arrogance in relation to Liam Kelly (the subject of this discussion)??

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    549 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    where exactly is the MO'N arrogance in relation to Liam Kelly (the subject of this discussion)??
    More the personality of Martin O Neill’s generally .

If he has interacted with Liam Kelly as he has done in other situations as Ireland Manager then how do we know how the chemistry worked .

Martin has confidence but can also be arrogant . Martin not declaring himself quickly as un-available for some of these jobs he has been touted for is an example of his arrogance .

I could not see a player of Kelly's physical stature getting much of a look in for Competitive matches under Martin O’ Neill . Maybe Kelly was correct to ‘Swerve ‘ O’Neill’s call .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    listening to Keith Andrews on last night's Off The Ball podcast, and they mentioned the B international against Nottingham Forest under Trapattoni where he played his heart out to get into the senior squad, and they mentioned that Sean Scannell played in that game and that he was talking about changing allegiances to the North.
    It occured to me that, right now, there's as much evidence that Scannell will change allegiance as there is that Kelly will, yet we're talking about both like they will definitely happen.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    I agree it's a big if. It also seems unlikely that either party would reveal the contents of that message so i suspect we'll not find out exactly what was said for quite some time.

On YBIG tonight :

Kevin Palmer speaking on ‘Game On’ yesterday, confirmed that he knows Liam Kelly’s family / agent quite well, and says that at no point was MON told that Kelly was considering his England options.

Palmer also says that Reading didn’t want Kelly featuring due to a swollen ankle, and that he doesn’t see Kelly featuring in the current Ireland set-up with our current style.

Dunphy says MON needs to go and meet Kelly.

This segment begins at about 17 minutes in: http://podcast.rasset.ie/podcasts/au...38400_232_.mp3

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Okay so he wasn't told that. So answer your phone, pal?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Okay so he wasn't told that. So answer your phone, pal?
    Which I did say, or words to that effect a few posts back, about dealing with the situation respectfully & LKs failure to manage that.

Its six and two threes here but justifiable eyes on MONs decision making and communication too, already, again.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    The journalist who is fighting Liams corner said something that tells me all we need to know about the players attitude. It was along the lines of Liam doesnt think he would have played if he went to Turkey. Big swinging mickey.. You go to try get selected not on the basis of some guarantee. I think MON has saved us a lot of hassle ala Grealish and exposed this guy.

25. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I would say that this camp offered an exponentially greater amount of benefits to someone like Kelly than a normal training camp for a couple of days in the lead up to a competitive qualifier. His failure/unwillingness to recognise this is a bit of an indictment on him, assuming all of the above is accurate.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    FWIW Kelly misses out in Paul Clement's first squad

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast