Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Kelly (M Feyenoord (loaned to Oxford) b.1995)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Maybe a smaller 'if' with O'Neill out of the picture, hopefully.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Don't share the enthusiasm for Liam Kelly. Granted he had a tidy game against a lacklustre United, but nothing beyond what would be expected of a player in his position/ role. Not convinced he is good enough to become an established senior international and not a player I'd pursue.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Not to mention he already told us to go f**k ourselves by not accepting an international call up verus Turkey

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diggs246 View Post
    Not to mention he already told us to go f**k ourselves by not accepting an international call up verus Turkey
    He did accept a call up before that but was cut from the squad by MON and he has said turning down the call up for the Turkey game has due to 'personal reasons'.
    We have seen MON muddy the waters before - his handling of Obafemi's call-up is proof of that.

I'd be inclined to give everyone a clean slate with a new manager in place.

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    He did accept a call up before that but was cut from the squad by MON and he has said turning down the call up for the Turkey game has due to 'personal reasons'.
    We have seen MON muddy the waters before - his handling of Obafemi's call-up is proof of that.

I'd be inclined to give everyone a clean slate with a new manager in place.
    The situation wasn't clarified though. He could do with making it clear where he stands. The rumours were abound he was waiting for England. MON hinted that. He never refuted that.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He never refuted that
    I think he did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    The situation wasn't clarified though. He could do with making it clear where he stands. The rumours were abound he was waiting for England. MON hinted that. He never refuted that.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...l-up-1.3463161

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Not very clear though. "We'll see how it goes."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Not very clear though. "We'll see how it goes."
    Yeah, I'd agree, but I'd give the lad the benefit of the doubt if McCarthy wants to bring him on board.

If he turns down a call up again without a reasonable explanation - I'd forget about him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    If you are selected to play for ireland, you say "Yes thank you what an honour". What u dont do is play underage for all our teams and then refuse a call up for the senior team, and when u are called out by the manager for refusing the call, say it was for unexplained personal reasons. Then have a prostitute from the indo publish your weak defensive story

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I believe they prefer to be called "journalists"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    In that case I owe the apology to the prostitutes, they are honest and hard working

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    AKA - Intellectual Prostitutes.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    If you are selected to play for ireland, you say "Yes thank you what an honour". What u dont do is play underage for all our teams and then refuse a call up for the senior team, and when u are called out by the manager for refusing the call, say it was for unexplained personal reasons. Then have a prostitute from the indo publish your weak defensive story
    I think there's broader context for the Kelly situation. It seemed during the latter days of the MON era that we were a team that no-one wanted to play for. Even players without other options were refusing call-ups or were alienated from what now seems like a dysfunctional set-up. Somehow we have to become an attractive option and that is not just about results. There's a perception thing, or a momentum thing. In the Charlton era we were attracting 2G players who could realistically have had call-ups with England and Scotland, whilst under MON even Irish born players seemed less than thrilled by the prospect of pulling on the green jersey. If we were to land 2 or 3 from Kelly, Crowley, Bamford, Rice, Redmond et al, I suspect it might generate its own momentum and begin to have an impact on the decision-making of other 2G players. At the minute we 're not an appealing option. There's a sense that we're no longer a force in international football. Like it or not that's a factor for players with choices.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think there's broader context for the Kelly situation. It seemed during the latter days of the MON era that we were a team that no-one wanted to play for. Even players without other options were refusing call-ups or were alienated from what now seems like a dysfunctional set-up. Somehow we have to become an attractive option and that is not just about results. There's a perception thing, or a momentum thing. In the Charlton era we were attracting 2G players who could realistically have had call-ups with England and Scotland, whilst under MON even Irish born players seemed less than thrilled by the prospect of pulling on the green jersey. If we were to land 2 or 3 from Kelly, Crowley, Bamford, Rice, Redmond et al, I suspect it might generate its own momentum and begin to have an impact on the decision-making of other 2G players. At the minute we 're not an appealing option. There's a sense that we're no longer a force in international football. Like it or not that's a factor for players with choices.
    First of all I don't think that's a good enough excuse for not turning up and secondly things had not really gone t*ts up at that stage

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    You make a good point. Matt Doherty is Irish born and bred and cut a frustrated figure in his recent appearances for us when Cyrus Christie rambled pointlessly in front of him and the centre halves were unwilling to put him into space. Doherty came out and highlighted the apathy he felt towards the set up. If he is feeling apathetic then how can we motivate 2G players? David McGoldrick seemed to slide out of the squad, albeit his recent form has brought him front and centre, and it could be similar.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    First of all I don't think that's a good enough excuse for not turning up and secondly things had not really gone t*ts up at that stage
    I think the malaise had set in long before the wheels finally came off.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I heard from a reliable source that Kelly wasn't impressed by O'Neill's "joking" with his agent about his size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    He needs to grow up if that's the case.

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    He should have ignored Mon and been the bigger man