Thread: Rio

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    898 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Reports Pat Hickey arrested
    With any luck John Delaney is dusting off his CV and dancing round the office to The Girl from Ipanema...

[Edit]

Some juicier reporting on the arrest from the BBC...

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 17/08/2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    That is juicier, certainly.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I'm Conlons corner here, it needed to be said, you know when you have knocked f*~k out of someone and he had. The stadium is empty most of the time, viewing figures down also I believe. The sport is foul, it's broken. And if won't be fixed with stiff upper lipped quiet compliance and acceptance you are advocating OwlsFan.
    But what are you saying? That the judges were got at? A few Poles living in Ireland say that there is no way there judge would favour Russia over Ireland. Therefore you must be saying that all three were either bribed or were instructed to vote for the Russian (all three mind). We're sort of going in to the realms of conspiracy theories here because then there would have to be others involved. I am just not sure.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/olympics/36773039

The AIBA - who run world amateur boxing - have admitted that there have been problems with the officiating and judging at some bouts at the Games.

"Less than a handful of the decisions were not at the level expected and consequently it has been decided that the concerned referees and judges will no longer officiate at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games.

"In accordance with AIBA Rules the result of all the bouts will stand."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post

Slightly disappointed with Annalise. She was in the gold medal position and she said she then relaxed because she knew she'd win a medal. It was as if she was happy with a medal (any medal) when the gold was there for the taking.
    It wasn't really there for the taking. She led, very briefly, around the windward mark on lap 2. She then had five boats attack her hard on the downwind, which is very difficult to defend against, as they can sit between you and the breeze and completely kill your speed.

To me, she didn't show any signs of backing off. If anything, she did very well not to get rolled by van Acker, who is normally a far quicker light weather sailor. There wasn't really too much she could do from the position she ended up in, as she was forced to the outside at the mark. She was completely safe against Rindom, Bouwmeester and Tenkanen, and van Acker would have had to put several boats between her and Annalise to beat her overall. Annalise had nothing to gain by being conservative, it wouldn't have improved her chances of hanging onto silver much at all.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    I see Shane Ross is getting out of Rio asap in case he also ends up in the clink

"Minister for Sport Shane Ross is leaving Rio de Janeiro tonight. Speaking to RTÉ News he said given the seriousness of the matter and in the interest of taking swift and decisive action, he will return to Dublin as soon as possible".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Its no conspiracy to think that a lot of the judges are on the take, some of the scoring is farcical. Just because he is from Poland doesn't mean he doesn't like greenbacks, ffs

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/20...on-allegations

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Well they love Stalin !
    Cos he was Georgian.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Video of our Olympic Chief answering the door in the nude to the police http://www.bbc.com/news/world-latin-america-37107450

It gets more bizarre by the minute.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Suspension of the judges raises serious questions about how Olympic boxing is being run. Who trained these people in the rules?
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    This guy won in a unanimous decision but royally got pumelled by Conlan... I mean you couldn't make it up...

Quote Originally Posted by RTÉ
    Nikitin was due to fight the Billy Walsh-coached Stevenson for a place in the final, but it's been reported that he could pull out of the bout because of injuries sustained in his defeat of Conlan.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/olympics/201...10065-nikitin/

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    851 Posts
    But what are you saying? That the judges were got at? A few Poles living in Ireland say that there is no way there judge would favour Russia over Ireland. Therefore you must be saying that all three were either bribed or were instructed to vote for the Russian (all three mind). We're sort of going in to the realms of conspiracy theories here because then there would have to be others involved. I am just not sure.
    You can't rule it out, that they were got at looking particularly at how things unfolded since. It was not an honest mistake, in my opinion, no.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,687 Posts
    Thomas Barr, what a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    What race is he Stutts?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Less than a quarter of a second between 4th place and the Gold Medal.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    What bet he will win that medal in time, Id nearly bet on that if i could, what with a Kenyan and Turk in the medals.....

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    487 Posts
    QED

They have 4 years to set this up. They have worlds and god knows how many continental, commonwealth, pan american competitions etc. The organisation lives and dies by the countries that finance it. You go around the world with the judges and explain that good relations with this or that country who put a lot of the money up are very important to the sport. Then a few days later you suggest that one of their boxers won a fight. If the judge takes the bait they get brought back the next time. If they won't do it you thank them and never call them again.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Neymar should retake that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Olympic football (mens) is a poor spectacle.
    It's the Volleyball, Basketball and Handball are the cream of the team competitions, even the bronze medal games are fierce matches fought to the last.

I thought those mountain bikers were getting raised fist salutes from the thousands lining the route, but on closer inspection I see it's a raised phone salute.
    Last edited by geysir; 21/08/2016 at 5:28 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts

I think it shows a lot of naivety to think that one of the most corrupt sports in the world isn't likely to have that corruption filter down to the Olympic level by way of individual bribery or conspiracy.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast