Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rio

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Lily Xu has been DSQ in race 2 for delaying her penalty spin at Mark 3, so Annalise is now up to 3rd in the standings. All to play for when the discard kicks in later in the series.

Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    The best Olympic sports are the ones where you need virtually no knowledge. Weightlifting is good for this.

"That last Russian lad lifted 175kg. This Romanian guy is trying 176 to beat him. Lets see if he can manage it...

...Nope, too much for him. Now, this next Korean lad is going for 178. Lets see if he can manage it...

...etc"
    I do like a little more complexity. Finding out why people were going to ground in the judo, or hearing about the paddle technique in the canoe slalom was cool, and something a little different from what I normally watch. I'm not going to watch canoe slalom every week, but for a few weeks at the Games I love it.

As a player and supporter of two minority sports (sailing and hockey), I think it's great to see people taking an interest, even if it's only brief. Until they appoint themselves armchair experts, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Yeah but watching on the BBC you have to wade through montage after montage before seeing any sport.
    Ah, montages. The flower arranging of televised sport.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    No anthems for Ireland v Germany in the hockey - both teams had to sing them on their own. Half impressed that the Irish team got through it tbh! Especially as a verse of Ireland's Call went through the stands v Holland, and of course one of the players has a brother playing for England...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    No anthems for Ireland v Germany in the hockey - both teams had to sing them on their own. Half impressed that the Irish team got through it tbh! Especially as a verse of Ireland's Call went through the stands v Holland, and of course one of the players has a brother playing for England...
    And the lads more than holding their own on the pitch as well. Great reverse stick goal, although the keeper really should have done better.

Annalise's start has been delayed due to light winds, which won't suit her. She's the tallest girl in the fleet, and probably one of the heaviest as well. Light and shifty conditions tend to make things a bit less predictable as well, and as one of the leaders she won't want things shaken up too much.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    How's Kirk Shimmins playing? I know his dad who went over to support him.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Leinster Division 12 is the highest I ever got in hockey. I don't think I'm really qualified to comment on how Olympic players are playing!

We lost 3-2; bit under the cosh for a lot of it, but to be expected against the two-time Olympic champions. We seem to have done reasonably well so far, albeit that we've yet to get a point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    How's Kirk Shimmins playing? I know his dad who went over to support him.
    Leinster Division 12 is the highest I ever got in hockey. I don't think I'm really qualified to comment on how Olympic players are playing!

We lost 3-2; bit under the cosh for a lot of it, but to be expected against the two-time Olympic champions. We seem to have done reasonably well so far, albeit that we've yet to get a point.
    All the lads are doing pretty well. I'm in the same boat as Stu, I peaked at a low enough level to have no right to pass comment on Olympic players! (I think I played one game in Leinster Division 3, and the coach stopped returning my calls!). I think their inexperience at this level is showing a little, they've been very much in the games, putting in strong performances against superior opposition, but the other teams (especially the Dutch) have been so clinical when they come forward, and their conversion rate from short corners has been far better than ours. I'd still back us against Canada, and against Argentina, who knows?

Annalise had a 4th and a 7th today, after leading the second race briefly, but getting a bad shift up the second beat. Lying second behind Lily Xu just now, but all the girls around her apart from the Dane have got bad results on their card, so can't afford another slip-up or too many risks in the next 6 races.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Anyone else think the judging in the Ward fight was harsh. Yer man Mina can't box. Gutted.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Anyone else think the judging in the Ward fight was harsh. Yer man Mina can't box. Gutted.
    Was a bizarre one alright. Went in with arms flailing and elbows everywhere, then clinched and kept flailing his other arm. Ward didn't know how to deal with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    In fairness to Wars how do you deal with it. I mean he got penalised twice for holding when it was clear that there was very little he could do if your man was wrestling with him. Several times he ran at Ward and threw punches while the ref was still in the middle and not restarted the fight.

When Ward only won the first round 2-1I think the writing was on the wall that the judges wanted only one winner.

That's what you get for alerting the world to match fixing possibilities. Conspiracy maybe but outside of the Azeri fighter on Tuesday night we haven't faced anyone of "class".

And I'm an awful bitter ******* when Ireland lose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Your man was brutal but Ward didn't have a good fight himself. It was an awful fight really.
    You've got no fans.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    Better news today, rowers into their finals, hockey team win and Donnelly wins in the boxing.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    Your man was brutal but Ward didn't have a good fight himself. It was an awful fight really.
    It was a terrible fight. But after a comfortable first round I didn't think Ward was in trouble until the wrestling really heated up.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Rowing time!!! Hon Sinéad and Claire! And Paul and Gary!

EDIT: Girls never really in it. Great achievement getting there.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 12/08/2016 at 1:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    A medal! Silver for Paul and Gary.

More shtake and shpuds!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    A medal! Silver for Paul and Gary.

More shtake and shpuds!
    My heart watching that. So close. Go wan the lads.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Fantastic rowing from the lads. Brilliant to watch. Gutted for the girls though, but such a great effort and a proud moment for the Jennings family in Letterkenny, after so many near misses for Sinead, and Catrionas heartbreaking marathon run in London 2012.

Another good day for Letterkenny on the track though, Mark English qualified with a comfortable run in his 800m heat. Another outside bet for a medal here.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    "sports" like shooting, archery, diving, fencing, trampolining for example
    I fenced competitively for years (sabre, mainly) - Irish Open QF, intervarsity champion, up against cadet, senior and veteran internationals (Irl, NI, UK) a lot of the time: trust me, it's a sport.

Well done, the rowers! Any day we get a medal is a good day!
    Last edited by Eminence Grise; 12/08/2016 at 2:57 PM.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Sonia O'Sullivan not impressed with the 10k WR being absolutely smashed there. She's 'questioning' how easy it was for 3 women to get under 30 minutes, despite 5 people only ever having done it previously.

The winner of the race just broke the record by 14 seconds, and hardly looked out of breath afterwards. Suspicious.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I fenced competitively for years (sabre, mainly) - Irish Open QF, intervarsity champion, up against cadet, senior and veteran internationals (Irl, NI, UK) a lot of the time: trust me, it's a sport.

Well done, the rowers! Any day we get a medal is a good day!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I fenced competitively for years (sabre, mainly) - Irish Open QF, intervarsity champion, beaten by cadet, senior, veteran internationals (Irl, NI, UK) and rank amateurs a lot of the time: trust me, it's a sport.
    Slight correction of the record there.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast