Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 53

Thread: UK clubs 2016/17 preseason

  1. #1
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts

    UK clubs 2016/17 preseason

    A couple of interesting developments to watch - Firstly, Olamide Shodipo started for QPR in a recent friendly against PSV Eindhoven (http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/20...d-3175766.aspx). Secondly, there has been a revamp to the Football League Trophy for the upcoming season - sixteen Premier League clubs' Under-21 teams will be participating with the League One and Two senior teams so hopefully it will give some of our youngsters a chance to gain experience against adult opposition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E...317_EFL_Trophy). Alas, we will have no representation at a number of these club, but we do have a few players who could do with a chance to impress with a few games against senior sides - the likes of Ian Lawlor at man City; Conor Masterson at Liverpool; Sam Byrne, Harry Charsley, Steven Kinsella and Courtney Duffus at Everton; Josh Cullen at West Ham; Zachary Elbouzedi and Shaun Donnellan at West Brom.

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #2
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,972
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    885
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,438
    Thanked in
    2,194 Posts
    Byrne, Lenihan, O'Sullivan and Stokes all featured for Blackburn against SV Ried in Austria: http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article...d-3176210.aspx
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  4. #3
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,972
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    885
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,438
    Thanked in
    2,194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    A couple of interesting developments to watch - Firstly, Olamide Shodipo started for QPR in a recent friendly against PSV Eindhoven (http://www.qpr.co.uk/news/article/20...d-3175766.aspx). Secondly, there has been a revamp to the Football League Trophy for the upcoming season - sixteen Premier League clubs' Under-21 teams will be participating with the League One and Two senior teams so hopefully it will give some of our youngsters a chance to gain experience against adult opposition (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E...317_EFL_Trophy). Alas, we will have no representation at a number of these club, but we do have a few players who could do with a chance to impress with a few games against senior sides - the likes of Ian Lawlor at man City; Conor Masterson at Liverpool; Sam Byrne, Harry Charsley, Steven Kinsella and Courtney Duffus at Everton; Josh Cullen at West Ham; Zachary Elbouzedi and Shaun Donnellan at West Brom.
    Man City and Liverpool have turned down their invite to the EFL Trophy, as well as Man United and Spurs. Everton, Southampton and Stoke have said they will be participating.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  5. #4
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Mark Bunn and Kevin Toner played for Aston Villa against Worcester City, Toner playing the full game and Bunn replaced after 77 minutes. Villa played another friendly earlier in the day but team sheet not listed on their site. Blackburn also played a double-header today. John O'Sullivan played in the first game against Bury, while Byrne, Lenihan and Stokes all featured against Morecambe.

  6. #5
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Adam Hammill and Conor Hourihane both scored for Barnsley against Weston-super-Mare. Meanwhile Scott Hogan carried forward his goalscoring streak from last season by netting against VfL Bochum earlier in the week - time for MON to have a chat, maybe? John Egan was a second-half substitute in the same game.
    Last edited by samhaydenjr; 16/07/2016 at 9:26 PM.

  7. #6
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    ...and the one we're really interested in: Callum O'Dowda made his debut for Bristol City, playing 35 minutes and showed "signs of his ball-carrying ability, sharpness of turn and elusiveness with his slight build and nippy style." Derrick Williams played 85 minutes

  8. #7
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Anthony Pilkington scored the first for Cardiff in a 4-0 win over Shrewsbury.

  9. #8
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Olamide Shodipo and Reece Grego-Cox both came on as subs for QPR against Groningen on Monday

  10. #9
    Seasoned Pro CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Joined
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    3,813
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    939
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    675
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    That's a fine string of contributions.

  11. #10
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Joe Mason returned to the scoresheet for Wolves last night against Crewe. Matt Doherty also played while Connor Ronan was on the bench. All are included in a 25-man squad for a training camp in Ireland

  12. #11
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    That's a fine string of contributions.
    Thanks you CTP - I had a little bit of time on hand and thought I'd see how some of our Championship Prospects were faring in pre-season. Of course it's probably much too early to read much into some of these appearances - I remember seeing a video a couple of years ago of Bradley Garmston scoring a cracker of a goal in pre-season for West Brom just before he got sent on loan to Gillingham before making the move permanent.

  13. Thanks From:


  14. #12
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,972
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    885
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,438
    Thanked in
    2,194 Posts
    Jay Tabb and Cieron keane are on trial at Burton at the moment, Tabb played against Stoke yesterday, but there's no mention of Keane in the report: http://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news...y-3189169.aspx
    According to this - http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burton-a...ail/story.html - Clough will make a decision about both of them, and three other players on trial there, this week

    Pierce Sweeney on trial at Exeter, played against Bristol Rovers in a friendly yesterday: http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/a...t-3188994.aspx

    After his contract with Rotherham expired, Paul Green is training with former club Doncaster Rovers at the moment, Darren Ferguson hasn't ruled out making an offer: http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/...reen-1-8011742
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 17/07/2016 at 1:05 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  15. #13
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,972
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    885
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,438
    Thanked in
    2,194 Posts
    Darragh Leahy in the Coventry squad on pre season tour of Austria: http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/2...a-3188118.aspx

    Kane Ferdinand on trial at Yeovil: http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/asp/news...wsItemId=25466

    Noel Hunt on trial at Portsmouth: http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/a...d-3189075.aspx
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  16. #14
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    902
    Thanked in
    603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Darragh Leahy in the Coventry squad on pre season tour of Austria: http://www.ccfc.co.uk/news/article/2...a-3188118.aspx
    The two Kelly-Evans twins that played gaelic football with Daniel Crowley are after progressing to the first team squad there too. Either half of their second name could give inference of an Irish connection, as well as the gaelic football.

  17. Thanks From:


  18. #15
    Coach tetsujin1979's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dublin, originally from Limerick
    Posts
    17,972
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    885
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,438
    Thanked in
    2,194 Posts
    Darren Randolph, Declan Rice and Josh Cullen all started for West Ham in their friendly against FC Slovako: http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2...denies-Hammers

    Lenihan, Byrne, Stokes and O'Sullivan all featured for Rovers in their draw against Rochdale, who had McDermott, Canavan, Rafferty in their starting XI, as well as Brian Barry-Murphy and Keith Kearney on the bench
    Blackburn report: http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article...t-3194983.aspx
    Rochdale report: http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/ar...t-3194915.aspx

    Bonham, Egan, and McCormack started for Brentford against Wycombe: http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/ar...t-3194645.aspx
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on twitter and facebook

  19. #16
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Darren Randolph, Declan Rice and Josh Cullen all started for West Ham in their friendly against FC Slovako: http://www.whufc.com/News/Articles/2...denies-Hammers

    Lenihan, Byrne, Stokes and O'Sullivan all featured for Rovers in their draw against Rochdale, who had McDermott, Canavan, Rafferty in their starting XI, as well as Brian Barry-Murphy and Keith Kearney on the bench
    Blackburn report: http://www.rovers.co.uk/news/article...t-3194983.aspx
    Rochdale report: http://www.rochdaleafc.co.uk/news/ar...t-3194915.aspx

    Bonham, Egan, and McCormack started for Brentford against Wycombe: http://www.brentfordfc.co.uk/news/ar...t-3194645.aspx
    Egan got Brentford's goal in their 1-1 draw with Wycombe, while McDermott got Rochdale's against Blackburn. Declan Rice also got a 30-minute run-out against Carolina during the Hammers' tour of the US, so he's starting to look promising.

  20. #17
    Seasoned Pro
    Joined
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,188
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    488
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    902
    Thanked in
    603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    Egan got Brentford's goal in their 1-1 draw with Wycombe, while McDermott got Rochdale's against Blackburn. Declan Rice also got a 30-minute run-out against Carolina during the Hammers' tour of the US, so he's starting to look promising.
    Appears to have played a bit for their under 21's at the age of 17 and must have impressed to be brought on this tour.

    http://readwestham.com/2016/06/29/de...ract-west-ham/

    Centre half or full back?

  21. #18
    First Team
    Joined
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    1,957
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    804
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    459
    Thanked in
    308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Appears to have played a bit for their under 21's at the age of 17 and must have impressed to be brought on this tour.

    http://readwestham.com/2016/06/29/de...ract-west-ham/

    Centre half or full back?
    Looked like centre half against Rubin Kazan two horrible mistakes for two goals today

  22. #19
    Banned TheOneWhoKnocks's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ted Bundy of the Wesht
    Posts
    5,246
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    470
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    699
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Jay Tabb and Cieron keane are on trial at Burton at the moment, Tabb played against Stoke yesterday, but there's no mention of Keane in the report: http://www.burtonalbionfc.co.uk/news...y-3189169.aspx
    According to this - http://www.burtonmail.co.uk/burton-a...ail/story.html - Clough will make a decision about both of them, and three other players on trial there, this week

    Pierce Sweeney on trial at Exeter, played against Bristol Rovers in a friendly yesterday: http://www.exetercityfc.co.uk/news/a...t-3188994.aspx

    After his contract with Rotherham expired, Paul Green is training with former club Doncaster Rovers at the moment, Darren Ferguson hasn't ruled out making an offer: http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/...reen-1-8011742
    Sweeney set to be offered deal by Exeter after impressing on trial.

    http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.u...ail/story.html

  23. #20
    First Team
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,397
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    53
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    625
    Thanked in
    393 Posts
    Matt Doherty and Joe Mason played the full ninety minutes for Wolves in their scoreless draw against Port Vale. Connor Ronan was an unused sub.

    http://www.wolves.co.uk/news/article...k-3202283.aspx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UK clubs 2015/16 preseason
    By tetsujin1979 in forum Ireland
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03/08/2015, 12:01 AM
  2. PreSeason
    By Jayk69 in forum Junior League
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 07/07/2009, 11:49 AM
  3. preseason
    By prinz in forum Women's Football
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 27/01/2007, 9:32 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •