Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit - The End of the United Kingdom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Obama endorses that French Macaroons guy in stupid ad on French TV. What could possibly go wrong? And why are Macaroons so expensive? They're like 5 bucks each in some places. I like the pink ones.
    Would you really prefer Le Pen?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I'm with her.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'm with her.
    In regards to your fellow countrymen, or at least those on here, North of the border that's extremely short-sighted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    I am not sure exactly how a victory for Le Pen would impact Northern Ireland at all - outside of some more broad impact to Europe as a result of a Frexit which is not yet a certainty even if Le Pen wins. But I am seriously interested in learning more on what that might be.

If you believe that Le Pen is a fair indication of significant concern amongst a notable number of French people then you should really be asking yourself why - what has caused this. Unchecked globalization and the rise of Islamic terrorism are major concerns for a lot of people. I am all in favour of any sovereign nation that wants to (votes to) protect its interests in the ways that it sees fit. We should expect the French to only care about the French.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    I am not sure exactly how a victory for Le Pen would impact Northern Ireland at all - outside of some more broad impact to Europe as a result of a Frexit which is not yet a certainty even if Le Pen wins. But I am seriously interested in learning more on what that might be.
    You just provided the answer.

Brexit has completely re-invigorated the constitutional debate here. It has provided a geo-political dynamic that didn't exist before, so whilst for Britain Brexit is now a one-way ticket, for Northern Ireland there is an automatic right of return. Essentially - unite Ireland and you reunite with Europe.

So, even though Le Pen has rowed back somewhat on her anti-EU rhetoric, a victory for her casts a shadow over this.

If you believe that Le Pen is a fair indication of significant concern amongst a notable number of French people then you should really be asking yourself why - what has caused this. Unchecked globalization and the rise of Islamic terrorism are major concerns for a lot of people.
    Of course, and much of that applies to Trump's success in America. I'm not disputing that at all.

I am all in favour of any sovereign nation that wants to (votes to) protect its interests in the ways that it sees fit. We should expect the French to only care about the French.
    Perhaps then you'll apply that sentiment, first and foremost, to your fellow countrymen and women North of the border.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    You just provided the answer.

Brexit has completely re-invigorated the constitutional debate here. It has provided a geo-political dynamic that didn't exist before, so whilst for Britain Brexit is now a one-way ticket, for Northern Ireland there is an automatic right of return. Essentially - unite Ireland and you reunite with Europe.

So, even though Le Pen has rowed back somewhat on her anti-EU rhetoric, a victory for her casts a shadow over this.
    Good stuff. I wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing. You know, listening to many pre Brexit, you would swear the sky was falling in for Ireland if they voted "Leave". Now that they have, what we realize is that it has actually opened up a lot of opportunity for us and, perhaps, the "experts" are really just making it up as they go. While a Frexit - were it to be a) brought to the French people and b) passed - would be another blow to the power of the EU, I don't think it would mean a whole lot more for Ireland or Northern Ireland than it would to other states. I think the opportunities Brexit created will still exist. Fundamental to this believe is that I also believe there will still be an EU, it will just be a more diluted version. And, principally, that is what I think is best. I think the EU has overreached far beyond its original mandate.

Of course, and much of that applies to Trump's success in America. I'm not disputing that at all.
    Absolutely, it was just general comment to explain my thinking behind the next couple of sentences. I wasn't saying that you were arguing the other way. Apologies for not being clear.

Perhaps then you'll apply that sentiment, first and foremost, to your fellow countrymen and women North of the border.
    Absolutely. But, ultimately, they must take the action that is necessary to achieve that outcome - if that is what the majority wants. And if the French do vote to leave Europe, Ireland must still look out for Ireland and the people of Northern Ireland must still do what they believe is best for them.

I actually don't think we are disagreeing too much.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I love the attempts to somehow justify Le Pen with long-winded debate. She's a racist, sectarian, far-right nutjob that'll damage both France and Europe, and as part of the bizarre far-right global lurch going on at the moment, probably the rest of the globe too.

Macron is an asswipe - they were all asswipes on some level - but they're all better than Le Pen, in the same way Clinton would have been better than Trump, and Obama was better than his opponents, despite their own failings.

Jesus, even Corbyn would be better than that zombie hag May, and he's a complete fupping moron.

Le Pen would be a very significant nail in all of our coffins.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I love the attempts to somehow justify Le Pen with long-winded debate. She's a racist, sectarian, far-right nutjob that'll damage both France and Europe, and as part of the bizarre far-right global lurch going on at the moment, probably the rest of the globe too.

Macron is an asswipe - they were all asswipes on some level - but they're all better than Le Pen, in the same way Clinton would have been better than Trump, and Obama was better than his opponents, despite their own failings.

Jesus, even Corbyn would be better than that zombie hag May, and he's a complete fupping moron.

Le Pen would be a very significant nail in all of our coffins.
    All of this. At least twice.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts

If you believe that Le Pen is a fair indication of significant concern amongst a notable number of French people then you should really be asking yourself why - what has caused this. Unchecked globalization and the rise of Islamic terrorism are major concerns for a lot of people. I am all in favour of any sovereign nation that wants to (votes to) protect its interests in the ways that it sees fit. We should expect the French to only care about the French.
    I'm starting to see more and more why you moved away from Bohs. You wouldn't be let in the door at Dalymount these days with views like that. Would you not rather support Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Now that the other dominoes haven't fallen after Britain the establishment have a full election cycle to work with. The politics of this are that Britain is going to be hit and hit hard. The likes of Wilders & Le Pen aren't going anywhere so the experience of Brexit will have to be made so awful for Britain that no country will ever dream of attempting it.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Will Macron's financial strategy be know as Macroneconomics?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Now that the other dominoes haven't fallen after Britain the establishment have a full election cycle to work with. The politics of this are that Britain is going to be hit and hit hard. The likes of Wilders & Le Pen aren't going anywhere so the experience of Brexit will have to be made so awful for Britain that no country will ever dream of attempting it.
    That was always going to be the case. And that was always my wish. You don;t get to be a petulant child and still get the biscuits.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    That was always going to be the case. And that was always my wish. You don;t get to be a petulant child and still get the biscuits.
    And the harder the UK gets hammered by the EU, the more likely Scotland is to vote to leave the whole sorry mess behind.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    But Peadar aren't things kind of a mess right now in different regards? Don't they blame EU migration law for things like this:
    https://heatst.com/world/violent-lon...eorges-school/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    It's a useful thing for the EU to encourage. Losing provinces is exactly the sort of language neo-fascists will understand.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    But Peadar aren't things kind of a mess right now in different regards? Don't they blame EU migration law for things like this:
    https://heatst.com/world/violent-lon...eorges-school/
    Sorry, who says EU migration law is to blame for the existence of scooter-driving criminals in London?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Katie Hopkins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Katie Hopkins.
    Where?

(Also, you're not taking professional troll Katie Hopkins seriously, are you? She's hardly representative of a "they" either...)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Journalists as State Functionaries': https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...functionaries/

Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray
    There was a brief moment of truth on Sky News this morning, where there was a short discussion of disquiet among journalists that Theresa May will only take questions that have been pre-vetted and selected in advance by the Tory Party. The Sky reporter even gave the detail that the journalists are not allowed to hold the microphone, which is controlled by a Tory Party functionary so it can be switched off if the journalist strays from the script.

My observation that the Conservative platform is in its essentials identical to the BNP manifesto of 2005 has received widespread social media coverage. I simply cannot conceive that the UK can have become so right wing. Now add to that, it has become so authoritarian there is no reaction to advance vetting of journalists questions – something Vladimir Putin does not do. And very few people seem to care.

Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast