Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Brexit - The End of the United Kingdom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Fly's 4 options are all plausible but each poses problems.

Opinion poll results will reflect the bias of the pollster's client so are likely to be volatile.

Declared faith isn't directly matched to voting. And recent evidence (EG Abortion Referendum) suggests people are giving up faith in large number. If you're simply using Catholic as shorthand for Nationalist, why not count the Nat vote in an election or 2. They're still pretty frequent despite loss of Stormont...

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    So would it be within the Assembly, those returned to it in a GE or a vote taken within it at some stage, which would set this in motion ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    There will prob be a British General Election before Xmas this year. A clear rise for Nationalism and/or drop for Unionism and a 2 option border referendum becomes more likely.

Stormont can't deliver anything while shut, obviously. But if/ when it reopens, a STV election will likely benefit Alliance more than Unionism or Nationalism...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    The Northern Ireland Act 1998 simply states that “if at any time it appears likely to him that a majority of those voting would express a wish that Northern Ireland should cease to be part of the United Kingdom and form part of a united Ireland”, the Secretary of State shall make an Order in Council enabling a border poll.
    I think that's actually a problematic phrase - for a referendum to be considered "likely" to pass, I would think there would have to be consistent indicators that the result would be a certain amount above the 50%+1 normally required for a democratic referendum to pass. Does this mean that if there's only a "reasonable possibility" of a referendum passing (polls showing tight preferences, an Assembly split between Unionists on one side and Nationalists and the Alliance on the other), the Secretary of State could decide not to hold a Referendum at all?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by samhaydenjr View Post
    the 50%+1 normally required for a democratic referendum to pass
    Problematic phrase alert

Referenda often require a threshold higher than 50%+1, for good reasons. To ensure that the result will be widely accepted, hasn't been affected by force majeure/ freak weather etc., or can't immediately be contradicted by a poll or even an election.

If we assume that the Unionist vote remains in at least gradual decline, what's the problem in waiting until pro-UI is clearly greater than say 55%?

Does this mean that if there's only a "reasonable possibility" of a referendum passing (polls showing tight preferences, an Assembly split between Unionists on one side and Nationalists and the Alliance on the other), the Secretary of State could decide not to hold a Referendum at all?
    Yes, and such a decision would be recognised as rational, including by parties in the South. Whatever Sinn Fein gurn in response.

That's even before you consider the possibility that a future Brit viceroy/ stooge might be even dimmer/ lazier/ more unwell? than the hapless Karen Bradley...

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    You can have 50% +1, 55%, 65%, 90%, but there will always be an element of North Ireland's population who will not accept unification under any circumstances. Among the many difficult conversations to have about unification is what to do about those people if a vote is won.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    If that minority is 49% of the population of NI you delay unity. If it's 4.9% you can probably assume grudging acceptance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Fly's 4 options are all plausible but each poses problems.

Opinion poll results will reflect the bias of the pollster's client so are likely to be volatile.
    I think the point here is more about consistent majorities in polls and I assume this involves the results from different polling companies.

Declared faith isn't directly matched to voting. And recent evidence (EG Abortion Referendum) suggests people are giving up faith in large number. The abortion referendum almost certainly indicates that. If you're simply using Catholic as shorthand for Nationalist, why not count the Nat vote in an election or 2. They're still pretty frequent despite loss of Stormont...
    I'm just using it because Catholic (and Protestant) are still the most useful umbrella terms for each respective cultural/tribal affiliation.

Problematic phrase alert

Referenda often require a threshold higher than 50%+1, for good reasons. To ensure that the result will be widely accepted, hasn't been affected by force majeure/ freak weather etc., or can't immediately be contradicted by a poll or even an election.

If we assume that the Unionist vote remains in at least gradual decline, what's the problem in waiting until pro-UI is clearly greater than say 55%?
    Because that involves another problematic phrase; a 'Unionist veto'.
    Last edited by The Fly; 06/10/2019 at 10:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I think the point here is more about consistent majorities in polls and I assume this involves the results from different polling companies
    Two or three separate but simultaneous polls might give quite different levels of majority, depending on how the question is put. Such results wouldn't be consistent.

I'm just using it because Catholic (and Protestant) are still the most useful umbrella terms for each respective cultural/tribal affiliation
    Disagree. Nationalist and Unionist have always been better; even they are less comprehensive than they were when more than 20% vote Alliance etc.; and as I mentioned above it's obvious that large sections of the population- young and old- are simply uninterested in religion, let alone following it tribally...

Because that involves another problematic phrase; a 'Unionist veto'
    It doesn't really. There will always be a disaffected minority of (ex) Unionists, as I suggested. If it falls below a critical mass it can be ignored/ sidelined. If it's close to 50%-1 you need to work with it, not just repeat ancient slogans.
    Last edited by Gather round; 08/10/2019 at 2:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Two or three separate but simultaneous polls might give quite different levels of majority, depending on how the question is put. Such results wouldn't be consistent.
    Consistency comes with time; from separate polling conducted over months, or up to a year or more. I doubt a referendum will be called from the kind of snapshot in time that you've described there.

Disagree. Nationalist and Unionist have always been better; even they are less comprehensive than they were when more than 20% vote Alliance etc.; and as I mentioned above it's obvious that large sections of the population- young and old- are simply uninterested in religion, let alone following it tribally...
    I'm referring to their overarching use as cultural markers, as opposed to the specific religious aspect. We could be splitting hairs at this point, so if you want to go with Nationalist and Unionist then fair enough.

It doesn't really. There will always be a disaffected minority of (ex) Unionists, as I suggested. If it falls below a critical mass it can be ignored/ sidelined. If it's close to 50%-1 you need to work with it, not just repeat ancient slogans.
    It does in effect, regardless of the supposed merits of a higher threshold.
    Last edited by The Fly; 08/10/2019 at 10:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Morning Fly, fair points. Just briefly,

1 Your 'consistency comes with time' and my 'let's wait until every poll shows at least 55%' aren't too far apart?

2 Apart from the Nat and Uni designations, I try to avoid discussing 'cultural markers'. My culture is basically what it was when I was a teenager- 70s dad rock, football/ cricket and the occasional high-falutin' doc on BBC 4. Nothing to do with languages barely anyone I know can speak, or noxious fumes from a New Lodge bonfire...

3 Unionists and Nationalists will continue to assume they have a veto as long as a) there are enough of both groups to get an audience and b) that audience is hidebound by your #2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Morning Fly, fair points. Just briefly,

1 Your 'consistency comes with time' and my 'let's wait until every poll shows at least 55%' aren't too far apart?
    How many miles are we talking about here?

Seriously though, I get the logic of what you're advocating and it's perhaps sensible in a more normal society. But applied to NI, where two national identities and constitutional positions are in conflict and competition, it provides one side with an effective veto.

2 Apart from the Nat and Uni designations, I try to avoid discussing 'cultural markers'. My culture is basically what it was when I was a teenager- 70s dad rock, football/ cricket and the occasional high-falutin' doc on BBC 4.
    I thought 'dad rock' began in the 80s?

Nothing to do with languages barely anyone I know can speak, or noxious fumes from a New Lodge bonfire...
    It's not on to equate Irish with an accent and a conflagration.

3 Unionists and Nationalists will continue to assume they have a veto as long as a) there are enough of both groups to get an audience and b) that audience is hidebound by your #2
    In other words, why can't everyone just be embrace abstraction and Northern Irishness.
    Last edited by The Fly; 10/10/2019 at 2:36 PM.

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Well well well, what are the odds of the deal getting through, and if not who will be the ones to scupper it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Doesn't seem like Labour are making positive noises, and with the DUP also deadset against it (seemingly)...

If BoJo is actually serious about this deal - not at all a sure thing - he presumably has a plan to buy the DUP off, or is hoping to get Corbyn to decide enough is enough on the Brexit issue. I guess we'll see. Not hopeful. Still think the most likely outcome is rejection by Parliament, an extension to hold an election, a Tory/Brexit Party majority and then a no deal exit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Rule, Britannia!
    Britannia, waives the rules!

17. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Still think the most likely outcome is rejection by Parliament, an extension to hold an election, a Tory/Brexit Party majority and then a no deal exit.
    Two from three so far there Mr crystal ball.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Been watching some old episodes of Top Gear on Netflix recently. Series 20 ended with a parade of vehicles manufactured in the UK on the Mall.

What struck me was the number of factories they visitors that have shut, or reduced productivity due to Brexit

The scenes where they visit the factories are not in that clip, so I did some research on each of the ones mentioned

Honda announced they will close the plant in Swindon in 2021: https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47287386

Toyota in Derby to "pause" production in Derbyshire after Brexit:: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-derbyshire-49526799

Nissan cancelled the manufacture of the X-Trail in Sunderland, and the plant itself might not survive Brexit: https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/03/b...and/index.html

Ineos to acquire French factory, instead of building Land Rover in Wales: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-53317740

And Nissan and Toyota may demand compensation from the government if no-deal goes through: https://www.driving.co.uk/news/busin...o-deal-brexit/
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Mercedes F1 have made noises a few times about moving from their UK base because of a no-deal Brexit too. I suppose that's a different kind of problem, but they employ over a thousand people in their HQ and are generally treated as a British brand because of Lewis Hamilton.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Shots fired...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotla...itics-54827100

Scottish Secretary Alister Jack has said the UK government intends to refuse another independence referendum "for a generation".

In a BBC interview, Mr Jack suggested a generation could be "25 or 40 years".

First Minister Nicola Sturgeon accused him of a 'rage against democracy' that would not prevail in blocking Indyref2. Meanwhile, former Tory minister Lord Dunlop has said Boris Johnson urgently needs a clear strategy to counter rising support for independence.

Ten opinion polls since June have suggested a majority now favour Scottish independence, with 54% on average backing yes.

The UK government has consistently opposed a new vote, and Mr Jack has sought to harden this position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Can Scotland sue them?

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast