Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Brexit - The End of the United Kingdom?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

Brexit - The End of the United Kingdom?

Well, that was slightly unexpected!

What will be the ramifications of this historic vote.

Will Scotland and Northern Ireland get referendums and perhaps the independence of London itself?

Markets will likely be volatile for the foreseeable future as I think no one knows exactly whats going to happen.

What have the Brits done!
    Last edited by TheBoss; 24/06/2016 at 7:07 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    This is mental. Will have implications for the Irish in Britain, and likewise the British in Ireland. The border is going to be interesting, will there be a physical border put back in place? Will we need visas to go to England?

In footballing terms, this will have a big affect on the English Premier League too, the free movement between the EU meant it was so easy for them to sweep up all the best European players. This surely won't be the case now with potential visas for travel and work outside the EU?

The pound at a 30 year low, 100 euro will now buy you 81 pounds compared to 75 pounds yesterday. That's a huge jump in a matter of hours.

What happens to the north? To Scotland? Will they get independence referendums? Sinn Fein have already called both north and south for a United Ireland referendum.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Will we need visas to go to England?
    Most non-EU countries in Europe have visas on arrival now - so I presume worst case, your passport gets stamped and on you go? Not much longer than at present. Don't know how it works in the north though.

The Premiership issue has been mentioned before alright - though ironically, it could arguably benefit the national team, in which case it'd be trumpted as one of the successes of Brexit. Though obviously that's not really an important issue in the greater scheme of things.

Cameron resigns, Farage says they made up the bit about having an extra £350m a year.

Interesting times ahead though!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I genuinely wasn't expecting it, I thought sense would prevail.

It'll create havoc. Or it won't. Definitely one or the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    It'll create havoc. Or it won't. Definitely one or the other.
    Good summary. Sterling plummeted 10% or so against various currencies on opening - and within a couple of hours had made up half that drop again.

So - I dunno.

xe.com has crashed though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    WE still have the CTA. So there's gonna be no extra checks for us. But personally I hope that it becomes an absolute ball-ache for British passport holders to go anywhere now.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    573 Posts
    Nicola Sturgeon just all but confirmed a second independence referendum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Good summary. Sterling plummeted 10% or so against various currencies on opening - and within a couple of hours had made up half that drop again.
    I had to stop the wife going on a shopping spree, god only knows where it'll be in a couple days when the stuff she buys actually ships, and payment is taken. Which isn't to say I won't be going on a spree myself in a few days.

The dollar is still killing my business though. I need Trump to get in an ruin the country so I can cut costs.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Nicola Sturgeon just all but confirmed a second independence referendum.
    I won't be holding my breath, but if she follows through on it I'll be delighted. It's time for Scotland to move on, definitely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Won't there be a second referendum soon? That's what happens here when we rejected European treaties - I assume pressure the UK will come under pressure from the rest around to try again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    It's possible - but it strikes me as dangerous. Multiple referenda "until you get the answer right" is surely one of the reasons the EU has declined in popularity in recent years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I know nothing about politics or economics, but everyone has an opinion so why can't I!

What will happen is

1. Britain will be the laughing stock of the World for a while until USA elect Trump to deflect the attention from UK's crazy referendum.
    2. The markets and exchange rates dropped in panic last night but will slowly recover a little this week as ppl slowly realise things won't change so drastically, so quickly.
    3. UK will spend decades and billions of pounds renegotiating all the trade and travel agreements that they had for free as part of the EU.
    4. The UK is a big economy, they will be okay and continue to grow strong, but a little isolated.
    5. The EU is a bigger/stronger economy and will also continue to grow, and probably grow faster, so over time the UK will probably become a little left behind.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    It's possible - but it strikes me as dangerous. Multiple referenda "until you get the answer right" is surely one of the reasons the EU has declined in popularity in recent years.

Just confirmed that she's looking into all options to keep Scotland in the EU. ie, indyref2.

The thing is, the Scotland that (stupidly) voted to remain in the UK 18 months ago was part of the EU. Scotland now faces being taken out of the EU against its will. This is not the equivalence of Nice2.

There has been a "material change in circumstance". Scotland deserves the right to vote again given the shafting they are gonna get by this Tory government.

I can't wait for all the CAP payments to rich landowners to dry up now. That'll learn them.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    If you're interested in the technicalities of the process this is useful: http://www.europarl.europa.eu/RegDat...)577971_EN.pdf

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    This is deadly. A politicos wet dream. The whole thing is going to be chaos. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Grauniad
    More on joint efforts by Scotland’s first minister, Nicola Sturgeon, and the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, to secure some kind of referendum opt-out for Scotland and London.

Here’s what Sturgeon said:

I have made it clear to the prime minister this morning that the Scottish government must be fully and directly involved in any and all decisions about the next steps that the UK government intends to take.

We will also be seeking direct discussions with the EU institutions and its member states including the earliest possible meeting with the President of the European Commission.

I also be communicated over the weekend with each EU member state to make clear that Scotland has voted to stay in the EU and I intend to discussion all options for doing so.

I have also spoken this morning with [London] mayor Sadiq Khan and he is clear that he shares this objective for London, so there is clear common cause between us.

Khan’s office confirmed that he had talked to Sturgeon about the need for Scotland and London to be involved in Brexit negotiations.

— Heather Stewart (@GuardianHeather)
    June 24, 2016
    Spokesman for @SadiqKhan confirms he has spoken to @NicolaSturgeon about need for Scotland+London to have seat at Brexit negotiating table.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...b0f4303810995b

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    I was talking about a second UK referendum on leaving the EU, which I presume is what Real Ale was talking about.

A second referendum on Scottish independence makes sense in a way, given that this is a big change compared to what was there when they voted last.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I was talking about a second UK referendum on leaving the EU, which I presume is what Real Ale was talking about.

A second referendum on Scottish independence makes sense in a way, given that this is a big change compared to what was there when they voted last.
    I read it as a second ScotRef.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    This is gas:

For Jim Plows, in Clacton, Essex, the news of Brexit this morning triggered “panic stations”.

Despite voting to leave Europe, the 77-year-old said he was surprised by the news. His wife, Pam, said her first thoughts as the results came in was: “Oh dear.”

The retired couple from Jaywick, in Essex, were among several visitors to Clacton pier to say they were concerned about the process for Britain leaving the EU.

“The next year will be a worry,” said Jim Plows.
    http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...remain-britain

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I guess i must be the only one here that thinks this is a good decision. The EU has talked about reform since the early 90s.................perhaps they might listen now?
    Its not a coincidence that a lot of working class areas returned a high exit vote, which says a lot, and not all of it blamed on the usual "he is must a bigot guff" that the media like to play.
    Well done to the UK
    Last edited by bennocelt; 24/06/2016 at 1:52 PM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Arguably, that's exactly the kind of thing you'd expect to see in the Guardian, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I guess i must be the only one here that thinks this is a good decision. The EU has talked about reform since the early 90s.................perhaps they might listen now?
    Its not a coincidence that a lot of working class areas returned a high exit vote, which says a lot, and not all of it blamed on the usual "he is must a biogt guff" that the media like to play.
    Well done to the UK
    No, I don't necessarily think it's a bad thing either. (To be honest, I don't really know if it's good or bad). I'm generally Euro-sceptic and the idea of the EU getting a root up the hole is a good thing.

I think the EU has irreparably ruined Greece - granted, the Greeks seem like complete financial nutjobs anyway. I think mass immigration is a bad thing, and it's interesting that this sentiment is starting to grow across Europe. Merkel has a lot to answer for there (and I know the Brits have been "importing" from the Commonwealth since shortly after the war). These are fairly major issues that the EU are just railroading through.

I think a way will be found for the rough status quo to continue on more or less as before. People said Denmark and Sweden would be stupid not to join the euro; they didn't join and 10/15 years later, they're grand. I think stories like that have helped convince people that the horror stories simply won't happen if the UK leaves the EU.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    The north has run out of passport forms
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast