Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 81 to 100 of 353

Thread: Brexit - The End of the United Kingdom?

  1. #81
    Seasoned Pro peadar1987's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,547
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    745
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    783
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Obama endorses that French Macaroons guy in stupid ad on French TV. What could possibly go wrong? And why are Macaroons so expensive? They're like 5 bucks each in some places. I like the pink ones.
    Would you really prefer Le Pen?

  2. Thanks From:


  3. #82
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,543
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,234
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,470
    Thanked in
    1,852 Posts
    I'm with her.

  4. #83
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    309
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,007
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I'm with her.
    In regards to your fellow countrymen, or at least those on here, North of the border that's extremely short-sighted.

  5. #84
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,543
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,234
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,470
    Thanked in
    1,852 Posts
    I am not sure exactly how a victory for Le Pen would impact Northern Ireland at all - outside of some more broad impact to Europe as a result of a Frexit which is not yet a certainty even if Le Pen wins. But I am seriously interested in learning more on what that might be.

    If you believe that Le Pen is a fair indication of significant concern amongst a notable number of French people then you should really be asking yourself why - what has caused this. Unchecked globalization and the rise of Islamic terrorism are major concerns for a lot of people. I am all in favour of any sovereign nation that wants to (votes to) protect its interests in the ways that it sees fit. We should expect the French to only care about the French.

  6. #85
    First Team The Fly's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,190
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    309
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,007
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I am not sure exactly how a victory for Le Pen would impact Northern Ireland at all - outside of some more broad impact to Europe as a result of a Frexit which is not yet a certainty even if Le Pen wins. But I am seriously interested in learning more on what that might be.
    You just provided the answer.

    Brexit has completely re-invigorated the constitutional debate here. It has provided a geo-political dynamic that didn't exist before, so whilst for Britain Brexit is now a one-way ticket, for Northern Ireland there is an automatic right of return. Essentially - unite Ireland and you reunite with Europe.

    So, even though Le Pen has rowed back somewhat on her anti-EU rhetoric, a victory for her casts a shadow over this.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    If you believe that Le Pen is a fair indication of significant concern amongst a notable number of French people then you should really be asking yourself why - what has caused this. Unchecked globalization and the rise of Islamic terrorism are major concerns for a lot of people.
    Of course, and much of that applies to Trump's success in America. I'm not disputing that at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I am all in favour of any sovereign nation that wants to (votes to) protect its interests in the ways that it sees fit. We should expect the French to only care about the French.
    Perhaps then you'll apply that sentiment, first and foremost, to your fellow countrymen and women North of the border.

  7. #86
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    11,543
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,234
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,470
    Thanked in
    1,852 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    You just provided the answer.

    Brexit has completely re-invigorated the constitutional debate here. It has provided a geo-political dynamic that didn't exist before, so whilst for Britain Brexit is now a one-way ticket, for Northern Ireland there is an automatic right of return. Essentially - unite Ireland and you reunite with Europe.

    So, even though Le Pen has rowed back somewhat on her anti-EU rhetoric, a victory for her casts a shadow over this.
    Good stuff. I wasn't sure if there was something else I was missing. You know, listening to many pre Brexit, you would swear the sky was falling in for Ireland if they voted "Leave". Now that they have, what we realize is that it has actually opened up a lot of opportunity for us and, perhaps, the "experts" are really just making it up as they go. While a Frexit - were it to be a) brought to the French people and b) passed - would be another blow to the power of the EU, I don't think it would mean a whole lot more for Ireland or Northern Ireland than it would to other states. I think the opportunities Brexit created will still exist. Fundamental to this believe is that I also believe there will still be an EU, it will just be a more diluted version. And, principally, that is what I think is best. I think the EU has overreached far beyond its original mandate.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Of course, and much of that applies to Trump's success in America. I'm not disputing that at all.
    Absolutely, it was just general comment to explain my thinking behind the next couple of sentences. I wasn't saying that you were arguing the other way. Apologies for not being clear.

    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Perhaps then you'll apply that sentiment, first and foremost, to your fellow countrymen and women North of the border.
    Absolutely. But, ultimately, they must take the action that is necessary to achieve that outcome - if that is what the majority wants. And if the French do vote to leave Europe, Ireland must still look out for Ireland and the people of Northern Ireland must still do what they believe is best for them.

    I actually don't think we are disagreeing too much.

  8. #87
    Director dahamsta's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2001
    Location
    The Internet
    Posts
    13,492
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    279
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    657
    Thanked in
    409 Posts
    I love the attempts to somehow justify Le Pen with long-winded debate. She's a racist, sectarian, far-right nutjob that'll damage both France and Europe, and as part of the bizarre far-right global lurch going on at the moment, probably the rest of the globe too.

    Macron is an asswipe - they were all asswipes on some level - but they're all better than Le Pen, in the same way Clinton would have been better than Trump, and Obama was better than his opponents, despite their own failings.

    Jesus, even Corbyn would be better than that zombie hag May, and he's a complete fupping moron.

    Le Pen would be a very significant nail in all of our coffins.

  9. Thanks From:


  10. #88
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elm Valley, Blackpool
    Posts
    11,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,225
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,563
    Thanked in
    1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I love the attempts to somehow justify Le Pen with long-winded debate. She's a racist, sectarian, far-right nutjob that'll damage both France and Europe, and as part of the bizarre far-right global lurch going on at the moment, probably the rest of the globe too.

    Macron is an asswipe - they were all asswipes on some level - but they're all better than Le Pen, in the same way Clinton would have been better than Trump, and Obama was better than his opponents, despite their own failings.

    Jesus, even Corbyn would be better than that zombie hag May, and he's a complete fupping moron.

    Le Pen would be a very significant nail in all of our coffins.
    All of this. At least twice.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  11. #89
    Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    17,759
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,675
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    5,010
    Thanked in
    3,160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I am not sure exactly how a victory for Le Pen would impact Northern Ireland at all - outside of some more broad impact to Europe as a result of a Frexit which is not yet a certainty even if Le Pen wins. But I am seriously interested in learning more on what that might be.

    If you believe that Le Pen is a fair indication of significant concern amongst a notable number of French people then you should really be asking yourself why - what has caused this. Unchecked globalization and the rise of Islamic terrorism are major concerns for a lot of people. I am all in favour of any sovereign nation that wants to (votes to) protect its interests in the ways that it sees fit. We should expect the French to only care about the French.
    I'm starting to see more and more why you moved away from Bohs. You wouldn't be let in the door at Dalymount these days with views like that. Would you not rather support Rovers?

  12. #90
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    424
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    Now that the other dominoes haven't fallen after Britain the establishment have a full election cycle to work with. The politics of this are that Britain is going to be hit and hit hard. The likes of Wilders & Le Pen aren't going anywhere so the experience of Brexit will have to be made so awful for Britain that no country will ever dream of attempting it.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  13. #91
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    572
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Will Macron's financial strategy be know as Macroneconomics?

  14. #92
    Coach BonnieShels's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Elm Valley, Blackpool
    Posts
    11,837
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    2,225
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    2,563
    Thanked in
    1,765 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    Now that the other dominoes haven't fallen after Britain the establishment have a full election cycle to work with. The politics of this are that Britain is going to be hit and hit hard. The likes of Wilders & Le Pen aren't going anywhere so the experience of Brexit will have to be made so awful for Britain that no country will ever dream of attempting it.
    That was always going to be the case. And that was always my wish. You don;t get to be a petulant child and still get the biscuits.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

  15. Thanks From:


  16. #93
    Seasoned Pro peadar1987's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    2,547
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    745
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    783
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    That was always going to be the case. And that was always my wish. You don;t get to be a petulant child and still get the biscuits.
    And the harder the UK gets hammered by the EU, the more likely Scotland is to vote to leave the whole sorry mess behind.

  17. #94
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    572
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    But Peadar aren't things kind of a mess right now in different regards? Don't they blame EU migration law for things like this:
    https://heatst.com/world/violent-lon...eorges-school/

  18. #95
    First Team backstothewall's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    1,988
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    151
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    424
    Thanked in
    280 Posts
    It's a useful thing for the EU to encourage. Losing provinces is exactly the sort of language neo-fascists will understand.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

  19. #96
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,383
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,726
    Thanked in
    2,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    But Peadar aren't things kind of a mess right now in different regards? Don't they blame EU migration law for things like this:
    https://heatst.com/world/violent-lon...eorges-school/
    Sorry, who says EU migration law is to blame for the existence of scooter-driving criminals in London?

  20. #97
    Banned KrisLetang's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    572
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    13
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    145
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Katie Hopkins.

  21. #98
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,383
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,726
    Thanked in
    2,278 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Katie Hopkins.
    Where?

    (Also, you're not taking professional troll Katie Hopkins seriously, are you? She's hardly representative of a "they" either...)

  22. #99

  23. #100
    Capped Player DannyInvincible's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Derry
    Posts
    11,500
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,383
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,726
    Thanked in
    2,278 Posts
    'Journalists as State Functionaries': https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archi...functionaries/

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray
    There was a brief moment of truth on Sky News this morning, where there was a short discussion of disquiet among journalists that Theresa May will only take questions that have been pre-vetted and selected in advance by the Tory Party. The Sky reporter even gave the detail that the journalists are not allowed to hold the microphone, which is controlled by a Tory Party functionary so it can be switched off if the journalist strays from the script.

    ...

    My observation that the Conservative platform is in its essentials identical to the BNP manifesto of 2005 has received widespread social media coverage. I simply cannot conceive that the UK can have become so right wing. Now add to that, it has become so authoritarian there is no reaction to advance vetting of journalists questions something Vladimir Putin does not do. And very few people seem to care.

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Brexit Impact on LOI
    By Mr A in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 28/08/2016, 8:54 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01/07/2016, 9:50 AM
  3. Brexit and our league !
    By Kiki Balboa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 29/06/2016, 6:15 PM
  4. United Kingdom Team
    By liam88 in forum World League Football
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08/03/2004, 10:44 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •