Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Italy V Republic of Ireland - Wednesday, 23rd June 2016 - Euro 2016 Group E

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    The odds are against it but you've got to see the positives. I think O'Neill is planning for a tough slog of a first hour with Long and Wes off the bench to add something later on. I think Craven Cottage will be the template. The lino's flag kept us in the game on a couple of occasions but it was still a good combative performance that should have yielded a win. Quinn missed a late sitter and Long could have scored twice.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...-34813540.html

Stephen Hunt bullish about Wednesday. Spirit of 2009.
    Good auld Hunty, always the optimist, puts in a great set piece cross too.

As long as we keep Calamity Clark and the awful Keogh on the bench, and play Duffa, then we will look more solid at the back.

Despite having a tactically poor management team, I kinda fancy us to get something from this game.

And they said Gio, had no plan B!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    to be honest 2 points or worse even 1 is not a good return when looking back on the group.

But we can't really blame oneill for the individual errors, oneill builds up that trust with his players its what they strive on, the trust and belief he places in them, it usually works for him and worked against Germany, but they let him down, especially clark being given the chance. McCarthy so far has been the best confidence trickster I've seen in a long time.

It's just disappointing that an ok performance against Belgium was excruciatingly put to the sword like that. BUt thats what you expect at that level.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    to be honest 2 points or worse even 1 is not a good return when looking back on the group.

But we can't really blame oneill for the individual errors, oneill builds up that trust with his players its what they strive on, the trust and belief he places in them, it usually works for him and worked against Germany, but they let him down, especially clark being given the chance. McCarthy so far has been the best confidence trickster I've seen in a long time.

It's just disappointing that an ok performance against Belgium was excruciatingly put to the sword like that. BUt thats what you expect at that level.
    That’s why we’re targeting 4

I’d rank ourselves as on a par with Sweden, and inferior to Italy and Belgium. So one point is the expected return. We might have got 3 from Sweden but we didn’t.

I think Clark’s failings have been shown up. We all knew he can be a bit impetuous and rash, but at the same time his nuts & bolts defending has been good. The OG was quite similar to Iceland’s against Hungary, the difference being that Hungary were more certain to score i.e., 100%. Is the Icelandic bloke being hung out to dry?

The Belgium game was gone by the time Clark – exposed by earlier errors – erred badly by taking neither ball nor man. I’d drop him but I wouldn’t crucify him.

Roy Keane nailed it for me. Although there were individual errors the players lacked courage to seek the ball. I’d add that they lacked courage carrying the ball too. We weren’t always being pressed against Belgium. There were many occasions, and against Sweden too, where McCarthy or Whelan had the ball at his feet with space to attack and yet they did nothing positive with it. We expect that from Whelan who arguably has other merits (he defended very well in “ordinary” play in both games) but McCarthy just wasn’t at it in either game. Hendrick attacked the ball and space in each game. He did it well in game one, poorly in game two.

I do think management failed somewhat too though. Walters is key to their plan A and Plan B. Without him there was no Plan C. The squad contained two or three selections I wouldn’t have agreed with. I’ll reserve judgment until after tomorrow (or later ) but it looks to me like we still have to move decisively away from Trap tactics. On occasion we are less Trap-like than Trap was but only when we face similar standard opposition, or worse.

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    These are the 3rd place standings after last night:

Rank Country P W D L F A GD PTS GRP
    1 SLO 3 1 1 1 3 3 0 4 B
    2 NIR 2 1 0 1 2 1 1 3 C
    3 ALB 3 1 0 2 1 3 -2 3 A
    4 POR 2 0 2 0 1 1 0 2 F
    5 CZE 2 0 1 1 2 3 -1 1 D
    6 SWE 2 0 1 1 1 2 -1 1 E
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 21/06/2016 at 4:07 PM.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Something I have to repeatedly shout on a wet Sunday morning to my fellow amateur football team mates is to remind them that the BALL IS NOT A BOMB.

Watching Ireland on Saturday afternoon that phrase kept running through my head. Unfortunately the majority of our players (particularly our defenders and central midfield) do not like receiving the ball and when they do it causes panic. The players do need to be braver and back themselves. Whelan and McCarthy need to go and get the ball off the centre backs and take us FORWARDS. This negative kick it back to the keeper everytime drives me ****ing nuts.

I thought we played really well versus Sweden but for some reason we lost our bottle against Belgium and went back to cave man Trap football. BE BRAVE and BELIEVE.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Italy are making 9 changes
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    That’s why we’re targeting 4

I’d rank ourselves as on a par with Sweden, and inferior to Italy and Belgium. So one point is the expected return. We might have got 3 from Sweden but we didn’t.

I think Clark’s failings have been shown up. We all knew he can be a bit impetuous and rash, but at the same time his nuts & bolts defending has been good. The OG was quite similar to Iceland’s against Hungary, the difference being that Hungary were more certain to score i.e., 100%. Is the Icelandic bloke being hung out to dry?

The Belgium game was gone by the time Clark – exposed by earlier errors – erred badly by taking neither ball nor man. I’d drop him but I wouldn’t crucify him.

Roy Keane nailed it for me. Although there were individual errors the players lacked courage to seek the ball. I’d add that they lacked courage carrying the ball too. We weren’t always being pressed against Belgium. There were many occasions, and against Sweden too, where McCarthy or Whelan had the ball at his feet with space to attack and yet they did nothing positive with it. We expect that from Whelan who arguably has other merits (he defended very well in “ordinary” play in both games) but McCarthy just wasn’t at it in either game. Hendrick attacked the ball and space in each game. He did it well in game one, poorly in game two.

I do think management failed somewhat too though. Walters is key to their plan A and Plan B. Without him there was no Plan C. The squad contained two or three selections I wouldn’t have agreed with. I’ll reserve judgment until after tomorrow (or later ) but it looks to me like we still have to move decisively away from Trap tactics. On occasion we are less Trap-like than Trap was but only when we face similar standard opposition, or worse.
    But Clark keeps on making error after error, that cost points and games.
    He's not a young lad anymore, yet he continues to make bad mistakes at club and international level.

I said all along he would cost us games, you all disagreed, seems I was right.

When he dived in on the half way line, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry it was that bad a decision.

Had he of caught the player he'd of got a red.

I'd give Duffa a run

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    What's your XI for tomorrow Doc?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    It was frustrating 4 years ago when Trapattoni stuck with underperforming players. O'Neill has to drop players who are out of form.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Sounds like O'Shea is a goner. Hopefully Duffy gets a chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    215 Posts
    Hopefully the shock of Spain's loss will be a distraction for the Italian's! Italy get to take on Spain as a reward for winning our group!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    That Swedish draw is just even more gut wrenching now after today's results.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Am I right in saying there hasn't been a shot on target against Italy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    No but that shouldn't stop us! Sweden drew with us 1-1 without having a shot on target!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    Take a shot from kick off to put that ghost to bed!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    Take a shot from kick off to put that ghost to bed!
    You never know, it might even go in.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36590813

Euro 2016: Italy v Republic of Ireland on 'irreversibly damaged' Lille pitch
    The Republic of Ireland will play their crucial Euro 2016 group match against Italy on Wednesday on a pitch that Uefa says is "irreversibly damaged".The playing surface at Lille's Stade Pierre Mauroy cut up during France's draw against Switzerland on Sunday, with players losing their footing.
    Bad weather is being blamed, despite a retractable roof at the stadium, and the pitch will be replaced on Friday.
    Will the state of the pitch be to our advantage?

"We saw the pitch didn't look that great but it's going to be the same for the Italians as it is for ourselves so that makes it a level playing field," said Ireland left-back Stephen Ward.
    "Myself and Wes Hoolahan have played in the League of Ireland so we're used to it."

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    Interesting metaphor Wardy. The bumpy pitch makes it a level playing field.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    I feel like something bad is happening. Is there breaking news? Any leaks on the Italian team?

Ireland's odds are drifting out this morning from 3.3 to 3.5 and 3.6 in places now in the last 30 mins.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast