Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: For Ireland to make the Round of 16...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    The football experts over at Balls.ie have tweeted 'Not good news for Ireland, as Albania take the lead'.
    Go home lads, you're drunk.
    https://twitter.com/ballsdotie/statu...16801556926464
    The only scenario where they think it might be ideal is if we were to finish third on two points, I'm guessing, but even if that was to happen, it's unlikely two points would be enough for us to progress. Even if there were a number of other third-place teams with two points, our goal difference would do us no favours either as it would remain at -3 if we draw with Italy. Romania's would be -1 if they draw this game against Albania, so they'd be ahead of us anyway.

Edit: Romania lost anyway.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    If Albania & Romania had drawn, I think it still would have been impossible for us to qualify on 2 points because of our -3 GD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Albania just hit the front against Romania. The stars are aligning. I can feel it in my dicky knee. I fully agree with point E as well. Italy or no, if you can't beat a team with no skin in it you deserve to go home.
    Ya, everything will probably go in our favour...everything except for us doing the business.
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Result 1 has gone our way. Thank you Albania! 2 points was never going to be enough for us with a goal difference of -3. Usually at least 3 points are need with a win and a draw always have being enough so far.

Result 2 that we need is the old enemy England to beat Slovakia tonight. That will guarantee that a win of any kind on Wednesday night will guarantee qualification to take on France or Spain.

Sometimes in sport when you suffer a setback, a result can come in from somewhere to lift spirits. The players are naturally down after Saturday. If they get word tonight that a win over Italy will do, it should help lift spirits in the camp and set focus on what's required. It will be good to have our destiny in the tournament back in our own hands.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    If England win tonight a 1 goal defeat for NIR puts them into the L16 I think.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Yes I think it will be clearer tonight.

If England win as expected then N. Ireland (Group C) is likely to be a best placed third (if you assume that they more or less match Slovakia's margin of defeat with a goal to spare).
    I also think that if Portugal get at least a point then there is no way that Group F won't take another best third.
    Then assume (as we have to) that Ireland win then we will also be a best place third.

That gives C,E and F. With the last best placed 3rd probably going to Czech (D) if they beat Turkey - otherwise Slovakia (B) might hold on.

I'm kind of assuming no massive swing in goal differences, its been a low scoring tournament so far, and also considering the last round of games can be quite cagey (eg last night 1 goal in 2 games).

So if my assumptions hold (England win, Portugal at least 1 point, no hammerings, Ireland win) then CDEF gives us Spain or Croatia in the Round of 16 but if Czech slip then BCEF gives us France (would also see England get N.I. by the way).

I know we have to win and that is all that really matters, but this analysis kind of keeps the interest up for the next couple of days ....
    Last edited by davidatrb; 20/06/2016 at 1:37 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I'd say the real-world odds are very much that 3rd place in our group will be max 2 points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I'd say the real-world odds are very much that 3rd place in our group will be max 2 points.
    We are 9/4 to win which implies about 30% chance we win or 70% chance we don't.

Sweden are 4/1 which implies about 20% chance they win and 80% chance they don't.

Probability that both DONT win is 0.7 * 0.8 = 0.56.

So you're about right, at 56% chance it's more likely that both teams will finish on two points or less. But that's not worth thinking about, I think with our goal difference that it's impossible to qualify on 2 points? Most 3rd placed teams already have 3 points except Portugal and Czech. Czech if they lose Turkey will be third, if they draw their goal difference can't disimprove - so that's no good.

I honestly fancy our chances to win the match. We are playing for our lives, Italy have nothing to play for - we should win or as ppl have said we don't deserve our place in the competition any way.

11. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    The group F winner would be nice, that is a weak group, we could take them. I hope if we go a goal up we don't settle fro 1-0 against Italy, we should go gung-ho to try and get the 3-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    The group F winner would be nice, that is a weak group, we could take them. I hope if we go a goal up we don't settle fro 1-0 against Italy, we should go gung-ho to try and get the 3-0.

...though any win will do nicely thanks.
    Last edited by Lionel Ritchie; 20/06/2016 at 5:07 PM.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    I've enjoyed watching Portugal in the tournament so far. I think they have played some of the best football. Just because they've drawn the first two games, it doesn't mean they won't click into some form in the knockout stages if they get that far.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/andy...2016-1.2459018

It doesn't make much of a difference to Ireland as we can't win the group but the article above sets out unfairness in the tournament set-up.

Essentially group winners paths to the semi-final are as follows:
    Winner A: CDE3 - B2/F2
    Winner B: ACD3 - F1/E2
    Winner C: ABF3 - E1/D2
    Winner D: BEF3 - A2/C2
    Winner E: D2 - C1/ABF3
    Winner F: E2 - B1/ACD3

Winners A and D paths to the semi-finals are: 3rd place and runners-up.
    Winners B and C paths to the semi-finals are: 3rd place and group winners.
    Winners E and F paths to the semi-finals are: runners-up and group winners.

Of the group winners, A and D would seem to have an easier semi-final route while E and F winners will have a tougher task ahead of them. A more evenly balanced semi-final route would have been:

Winners A, B, C and D semi-final route: 3rd place and group winners.
    Winners E and F semi-final route: group runners-up and group runners-up.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Wanting England to win is hard work

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    The old enemy didn't help us. The point should see Slovakia into the last 16 as one of the best 3rd placed teams.

Over to Germany next. We need them to beat N Ireland tomorrow.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The old enemy didn't help us. The point should see Slovakia into the last 16 as one of the best 3rd placed teams.

Over to Germany next. We need them to beat N Ireland tomorrow.
    And the result for Slovakia tonight will make N. Ireland even more desperate for a draw.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,821 Posts
    I figured if we were going down that we may as well take England with us. With Wales coasting I figured that a Slovakia victory would soothe my seemingly inevitable disappointment as England squirm in 3rd. But alas they do the worst possible thing and bloody draw, so they still go through and knacker us up. GAH!

Now for Germany to tank the North. That'd be nice.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Or Turkey to beat or draw the Czech Republic would be sufficient as well.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Yeah, but I want this to be determined asap.

The Germans are angry after criticism from Ballack. The false 9 didn't work against Poland so Muller and/or Gomez may be given a more orthodox role.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    220 Posts
    There's a strong possibility if we get through, we'll take on France on Sunday with the winner taking on the winner of the England game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I'd bite your hand off for that right now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    I've enjoyed watching Portugal in the tournament so far. I think they have played some of the best football. Just because they've drawn the first two games, it doesn't mean they won't click into some form in the knockout stages if they get that far.
    They are nice to watch but they are underachieving choke artists, always have been, went out in the group stage 2 years ago, couldn't win the final in their own backyard against Greece. Maybe if they got to the knockouts they might play well for a game or 2 but they won't win it.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast