Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Sweeney

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sweeney

i just heard he signed for a msl club here in cork and will not be joining ye after all, pity, he should be playing el.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    which club?

International Prospect sadloserkid's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda01
    i just heard he signed for a msl club here in cork and will not be joining ye after all, pity, he should be playing el.
    Seriously? That would be such a waste of talent... I'd sooner see him with Cobh again this year than that. Honest to God. Cobh!
    The ball is round and has many surprises.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The thing is though, some of the better MSL clubs like Rockmount and Avondale are probably better (certainly no worse) than the likes of the Rams and Limerick (no offence intended, going by last years performances!).

So the league might not have the same stature, but the standard won't be a hell of a lot different.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse
    The thing is though, some of the better MSL clubs like Rockmount and Avondale are probably better (certainly no worse) than the likes of the Rams and Limerick (no offence intended, going by last years performances!).

So the league might not have the same stature, but the standard won't be a hell of a lot different.
    Get real. The eL first division is a step up from the MSL or any other intermediate or junior league. This nonsense is trotted all the time. The worst team in the First is still better than the best in non-league. He should want to play at the highest level possible and it is a shame he is not going to be joining us. He would be a real addition to our midfield. Maybe he wants to concentrate on studies this year rather than traipsing around the country.

Hope it is only a one year thing and he will be back in blue very soon.
    "It's impossible to make a man understand something when his livelihood depends on him not understanding" Upton Sinclair

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFC in Exile
    Get real. The eL first division is a step up from the MSL or any other intermediate or junior league. This nonsense is trotted all the time. The worst team in the First is still better than the best in non-league.
    You can believe what you want to believe but in my experiance there is no difference at all with the top MSL teams and worst 1st division teams.

I know a few managers with EL and MSL experiance who think the same. Decent MSL teams have consistently beat average 1st division teams over the last decade in pre season games.

Now before you say "ahh they're only friendlies, they don't mean anything" let me say that having played both EL and MSL , they do mean something to the players. MSL players want to show that they could do a job at that level and EL players don't want to get beat or shown up by "lesser" players.

And as I always say, considering they are in different associations, how else are they supposed to play each other if it isn't a friendly or FAI Cup game!

Anyway it's an argument that can't be proved, a bit like the argument about the top EL teams surviving in the SPL. All I can do is show what I think is my evidence but of course it is all opinion at the end of the day

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    which club?
    douglas hall

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wink

You can believe what you want to believe but in my experiance there is no difference at all with the top MSL teams and worst 1st division teams.

I know a few managers with EL and MSL experiance who think the same. Decent MSL teams have consistently beat average 1st division teams over the last decade in pre season games.

Now before you say "ahh they're only friendlies, they don't mean anything" let me say that having played both EL and MSL , they do mean something to the players. MSL players want to show that they could do a job at that level and EL players don't want to get beat or shown up by "lesser" players.

And as I always say, considering they are in different associations, how else are they supposed to play each other if it isn't a friendly or FAI Cup game!

Anyway it's an argument that can't be proved, a bit like the argument about the top EL teams surviving in the SPL. All I can do is show what I think is my evidence but of course it is all opinion at the end of the day
    If the non-League teams are meant to be so good, then how come in last season's 2nd Round of the FAI Cup, out of the 6 non-League teams who played against eL opposition there was only 1 goal scored by all of them combined. Drumcondra who did win their 2nd Round game were then hammered 5-0 in the next round. The exception was of course Rockmount. But this doesn't make a case for the rest of the MSL.
    If you don't like John 3:7...
    There's always Limerick 37!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblers05
    Drumcondra arent in the MSL you muppet!!
    Didn't say they were!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblers05
    rest as in the MSL.

You should of stated what league Drumcondra were in.
    Didn't need to. My point is about the MSL.
    My point is that of all the non-league teams who competed in last years FAI cup only Rockmount made a go of it. The rest were woeful, showing the large gap there is between eL and non-leage when it comes to competitive matches as opposed to pre-season friendlies! But just because Rockmount did so well it doesn't mean that the rest of the teams in the msl are up to eL standard as drinkfeckarse was trying to point out.
    Last edited by Kerry Blue; 24/01/2005 at 5:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Blue
    But just because Rockmount did so well it doesn't mean that the rest of the teams in the msl are up to eL standard as drinkfeckarse was trying to point out.
    Had forgot about this thread...

My point wasn't about the rest of the MSL being up to EL standard
    My point was that IMO the likes of Rockmount and Avondale would be comfortable in the EL 1st Division which you have just more or less agreed with