Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Sweden - Monday, 13th June 2016 - Euro 2016 Group E

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Talk of Given being number one... Good God, make it stop!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    i didn't say what I think will be the team!

I think by "stands to him" Nigel just thinks possession is 9/10 of the law, if it ain't broke don't fix it (or similar cliche). I think you're over analysing.

I think foot.ie groupthink has us all fretting over Randolph when he's actually a very big part of why we're going. Huge save in Bosnia at 0-0.
    Ha, apologies. I thought you were predicting the starting line-up as you'd dismissed the notion that today's training teams might be an indication.

The clichés are fine and it's correct to say it's not exactly broke, but it could be better by a significant enough degree for it to matter, as De Lorean says. It's a very crucial position, as you're well aware yourself. Could be the difference of a couple of goals.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Things still sound very vague re: Walters' fitness.

Presuming he is anywhere near fit enough to participate over the coming thirteen days, surely he could be saved for the Belgium game?

The Sweden game is the easiest one on paper, so I don't think we would lose much if Walters wasn't playing, whereas his battling qualities may be more important for the final two games.

I think its nonsense to be considering a player who isn't fully fit for the first game considering the lessons from 2012.

If Given starts it doesn't really matter anyways because we won't pick any points up with him in goal.

The noises emanating from him don't inspire much confidence either. He really should be going as third choice and acting in a supporting role for the younger goalkeepers - not inflating his own ego talking about the #1.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Two key words stood out for me in the above post: "presuming" and "if".

Anyway, the whole squad has tomorrow off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

Presuming he is anywhere near fit enough to participate over the coming thirteen days, surely he could be saved for the Belgium game?

The Sweden game is the easiest one on paper, so I don't think we would lose much if Walters wasn't playing, whereas his battling qualities may be more important for the final two games.
    It's a decent idea but I could see Walters being risked considering Sweden are one of the biggest/tallest sides in the tournament and he'd be a massive miss to that side of our game. Irreplaceable really.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

I think its nonsense to be considering a player who isn't fully fit for the first game considering the lessons from 2012.
    Isn't there an argument that Sweden is the crucial one which we really need to win and which is our best chance of winning? Therefore, maybe we should give it our all and whatever else we can pick up in the next two games (which will be against undoubtedly stronger teams than us) is a bonus, but not as much a necessity? We absolutely should not be taking the Sweden game for granted and resting players who could help (so long as they are fit).

If Given starts it doesn't really matter anyways because we won't pick any points up with him in goal.

The noises emanating from him don't inspire much confidence either. He really should be going as third choice and acting in a supporting role for the younger goalkeepers - not inflating his own ego talking about the #1.
    The two keepers in the training teams were Randolph and Westwood, so you'd have to hope it was just mild bluster from Shay.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Isn't there an argument that Sweden is the crucial one which we really need to win and which is our best chance of winning? Therefore, maybe we should give it our all and whatever else we can pick up in the next two games (which will be against undoubtedly stronger teams than us) is a bonus, but not as much a necessity? We absolutely should not be taking the Sweden game for granted and resting players who could help (so long as they are fit).
    I think it's the risk/reward thing over full fitness. 2012 was a bit of a horror show with guys being generally less than 100%. If Walters is close I'd definitel risk him, but it's a tough call especially after a long season where he's picked up a few knocks. I wouldn't call it resting, just not risking.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    O'Neill says that JW is an exception, given his importance and his contribution he'll wait that bit longer for him than he might have done for others. Harsh on Doyle and maybe Pilkington who I'd both have selected, and possibly also McGoldrick, but it's still speculation on our side and the Irish medical team are pretty on the ball.

Keane seems to be fit. McClean isn't a certain starter out wide and I think MON sees him as a central option too.

I saw Shay quoted in Irish Times earlier and I got the impression that he's not expecting to be picked "It'd be great if I was, I'm not here to make up the numbers" which is a standard thing to say. He'd be slaughtered if he said he was there just to make up numbers! I can't paste the link at the moment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Ireland training and press conference cancelled for today
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Ireland training and press conference cancelled for today
    Any reasons why ? You would think someone would be giving out some information just to fascinate the supporters if nothing else !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Just for a rest I think.

12. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    The team for the opening game against Georgia was Forde; Coleman, O'Shea, Wilson, Ward; Walters, Whelan, McCarthy, Quinn, McGeady; Keane (C)

I expect the team to start against Sweden to have 5 changes but only really different players from the same squad. The only additions to the squad are Duffy and arguably Westwood. Judge and Arter may have been in but for injuries. I think it will be a stronger team though despite the fact that is only a reshuffling of the deckchairs. It is important that Walters plays.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Stephen Ward says the "buzz around the squad ... is outstanding": http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakin...ng-739366.html

Great stuff. Sounds like the players are well up for it and morale is high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Sounds like Walters is struggling. Big loss and not much back up....

Safe journey to everybody setting off this weekend. See you all in Paris!

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    Sounds like Walters is struggling. Big loss and not much back up....

Safe journey to everybody setting off this weekend. See you all in Paris!
    If Doyle was brought instead of Keane like he should have been then it would have alleviated it somewhat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Was looking forward to any two of Brady, McClean or Hendrick wide with Hoolahan in behind Long for just the one game but Walters is allegedly fit enough for the Sweden game now despite only being able to complete the most basic training exercises as of 24 hours ago: https://www.rte.ie/sport/euro-2016/2...oost/#comments.

Duffy could be a shock inclusion in the 11 according to Keane.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 11/06/2016 at 12:55 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Re; Jonathan Walters, I don't think he should be risked in the first game of what is a 3 game series.

Even a win in the last game could get a team through, One win and one draw would be very likely to (I will defer to statistical experts on this)

So, Why risk a player recovering from injury in the first game. Playing a player carrying an injury also says to other players vying for that position ; Your not good enough ; Look we have to play the guy who is not 100% fit . Okay if its Maradona ...........

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I find it all very puzzling really. Long is the main man up front. And you're telling me McClean or Hendrick can't do a job on the right hand side of midfield and/or Brady can't move up to the left hand side of midfield?!

I'm not getting why mountains are being moved to accommodate Walters here.

It could just end up ruling him out of the tournament if things go arseways with his fitness again.

He is pushing 33. It would make his performance levels better if he is fresher for the Belgium game.

And as seanfhear says, the very format of the tournament makes it more unnecessary to take risks like this.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Relax FFS. If he was at his club and didn't train Monday to Thursday but was deemed fit for Saturday it'd be no big deal. If the game was yesterday they'd have tested him in training two days before that. The game is on Monday so they tested him today. Usual melodramatics methinks. I think TOWK is the only guy upset that our best player of the qualifying campaign is available. You'd swear he was a qualified physio. I've often been hobbling after a hard effort only to race at the best of my potential 3 days later.

It's funny how Walters gets slagged off for being allegedly injured and now he's getting slagged off by the same poster for being allegedly fit.

And I think Doyle should have been brought too as it happens but not instead of Keane.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Fitness is a concern but it really shouldn't be forgotten that Walters was our best player in qualifying.

The fitness ghosts of 2012 loom large but the team doens't appear nearly as jaded or overtrained. It's a calculated risk worth taking if he's close to being ready. He's a crucial player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    With Walters not in the team it might encourage us to get it down on the ground more and try to play some football. Then again it might mean Daryl Murphy comes in..

I question the fact that Walters with the age he is, the season he's had and continued fitness problems he manages can sustain 270 minutes of football in 8 days.

But he's a "naturally fit lad" as MONKeano say so I just have to trust their judgement.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast