Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Upcoming transfer window

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts

Upcoming transfer window

Things starting to happen around the League today, Sligo losing 2 players back to parent clubs in England and Pats releasing McGuinness. Haven't seen him play in quite a while, has anyone an opinion on him? Are the legs gone or could he be an inspired signing for the remainder of the season? Personally think we need a commanding but mobile centre half of the ilk that Des Hope was built.

Elsewhere I think we need a new first choice right full with Havo out long term and Jamie struggling for fitness and form. As mentioned a mobile centre half as Pajo and Rossi aren't cutting it this season.

We need 2 wingers as we haven't got one in the squad and we need a crunching tackler In midfield of the ilk of Rice. Then when O'Hanlon hopefully returns to England we might sign another centre forward as Cody Mulhall is yet to feature and I've always been a great believer of top teams needing 4 forwards in the squad.

Any names anyone would like to throw into the mix?
    BetweenTheStripes.net - Home of Between the Stripes LOI podcast.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Daniel Purdy maybe, if he and TC are still on speaking terms. He's moody but on his day he could be a useful addition and we're not likely to have too much money.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Longfordian View Post
    Daniel Purdy maybe, if he and TC are still on speaking terms. He's moody but on his day he could be a useful addition and we're not likely to have too much money.
    He would only add to the problems we have in that dressing room. Seen him a few times with Athlone and he's useless. If we don't sign quality in this window it will confirm what I said from day 1 of pre-season, this season has been about nothing other than cost cutting

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    If a team is releasing a player why would we want him, and as for Mc Guinness I never rated him but I'm not TC so who knows

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Darklordsbane View Post
    If a team is releasing a player why would we want him, and as for Mc Guinness I never rated him but I'm not TC so who knows
    What do you expect us to sign in the mid season window? Key players from other teams? It simply doesn't happen. We will be forced to chose from cast aways and fringe players. McGuiness has signed for a team up north now anyway.

There's one key name nobody has mentioned and it's pierce Sweeney. Released by reading recently and former bray centre back. An animal of a man and quick across the turf.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by outspoken View Post
    What do you expect us to sign in the mid season window? Key players from other teams? It simply doesn't happen. We will be forced to chose from cast aways and fringe players. McGuiness has signed for a team up north now anyway.

There's one key name nobody has mentioned and it's pierce Sweeney. Released by reading recently and former bray centre back. An animal of a man and quick across the turf.
    if Athlone go to the wall and I dont want it to happen but I would expect TC to be a hawk and swoop for a few of Athlones...
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    if Athlone go to the wall and I dont want it to happen but I would expect TC to be a hawk and swoop for a few of Athlones...
    If that happens Marty we are f*cked Coz that squad is absolutely horse sh1t.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    218 Posts
    Got a taxi today and got dropped off at Heuston Station. The bould TC was two cars up waiting for his customer to arrive. Hung around for a bit to see if it was anyone familiar. Who showed up only Gary Twigg and away they went. True story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Legend View Post
    Got a taxi today and got dropped off at Heuston Station. The bould TC was two cars up waiting for his customer to arrive. Hung around for a bit to see if it was anyone familiar. Who showed up only Gary Twigg and away they went. True story.
    Haha love this

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    [QUOTE=outspoken;1874523]What do you expect us to sign in the mid season window?

I don't expect Cousins to sign anyone of quality either at the mid season window or the real window I believe he is a ditherer and by the time he makes his mind up to approach a player they are gone elsewhere,
    I agree with your idea about players being released by better leagues than ours could be approached and that could prove fruitful,
    players in Ireland being let go by their team should not be what De Town should be aspiring towards (imo), head hunt by all means
    or take a chance on young talent which to be fair to TC he does try that, but league of Ireland players being released by their club means they are either very unfortunate that their face doesn't fit with the manager or they aren't good enough or they are trouble, again (imo)
    It's different if older players are dropping down to the first division which worked for us but if they can't hack it in the premier for someone else why would we want them

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    I never said approach players being released from other leagues. The last thing we need is a bunch of kids from England taking 6 months to settle in, I mean just look how long it took Gannon to get going last season, we don't have time for that this season of all seasons. I really can't see us digging ourselves out of this hole with that clown in charge

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    there was something in the mirror yesterday that Mark Salmon is being released by Bray.now thats interesting wonder wot next? doesnt say wot clubs he is linked to? I work near Heuston Station myself but its at nitetime so the chances of me bumpin into TC are slim to say the least!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    there was something in the mirror yesterday that Mark Salmon is being released by Bray.now thats interesting wonder wot next? doesnt say wot clubs he is linked to? I work near Heuston Station myself but its at nitetime so the chances of me bumpin into TC are slim to say the least!
    I can see him coming back, it would appease the fans a bit too. If fit he could do a job for us. If cousins does bring him back tho it will show he made a major mistake so doubt Tony will go for it

14. Thanks From:

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Hasn't he been injured for most of the season? Can't see why he'd be walking away from a two year contract unless he felt he wasn't going to be able to contribute.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    He's been back from injury the last few weeks, maybe he's been told he's not part of the plan by Harry Kenny? I don't think Salmo is the type of lad to sit on a contract if things aren't going as he would have liked.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    But either he hasn't been able to make the (equally poor) Bray side under two different managers or if he's been injured for long periods.
    Does that not more so vindicate the decision to release him in the first place over give any encouragement that he might be the man to come in and save our season!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sorbothegreek View Post
    But either he hasn't been able to make the (equally poor) Bray side under two different managers or if he's been injured for long periods.
    Does that not more so vindicate the decision to release him in the first place over give any encouragement that he might be the man to come in and save our season!
    Never said he's the man to save our seaso , if could would he improve this team yes he would as it's the midfield where all our problems are. There's not enough decent characters in the dressing room, salmon should have been kept on as an influence if nothing else. The attitude of some players has been nothing short of disgusting this season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Have to agree with Sorbo, we got the marrow from the bone out of Salmon before we let him off. Both he and Rice were finished when they were released. Proof is one can’t get a club and the other can’t get a game at Bray. Releasing them isn’t our problem. Ineffective recruitment over the summer is our problem. Bringing either one of them back definitely won’t solve our midfield problems.
    The truth fears no questions...
    It's only when the tide goes out that you learn who's been swimming naked

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    From what I heard Salmon is going nowhere silly season stuff alright

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    Gannon and Dillon are great footballs I'm a big fan of both but they aren't defensive midfielders, we need a hard tackling midfielder. It's infuriating to see 2 players who simply can't tackle playing in that position, no fault of their own of course.