Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gaa 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    Did Tyrone sack Harte yet? How many more years of this do they have to endure.
    2 more years he's getting. And so he should.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Them's fightin' words, Bonnie.
    Sure when you read the nauseating bullplop from Liston in the Indo this morning how could you not want to go afightin'!

Quote Originally Posted by Eoin "It's like I've not watched a game of football in 20 years " Liston
    Jim Gavin has said he's expecting a big Kerry challenge on Sunday and I guarantee you he won't be one bit disappointed. I've waxed lyrical about the Dubs all year and rightfully so - they're an exceptional team and deserve to be clear favourites given they've had the Indian sign over us since Stephen Cluxton's famous free in the 2011 All-Ireland final.

It used to be the case that if I got €1 for every time someone said, 'Jaysus Bomber, ye broke our hearts', when I went up the road to Dublin that I could have retired many moons ago, but the shoe is on the other foot now.
    This Kerry team and their supporters are a wounded animal and they'll put their bodies on the line to make sure they're the last team standing. They have a cause and carrying that hurt will make a massive difference.

Last year it was evident from the off that the Dubs wanted it more. You could see it in the 50-50 clashes, their work-rate on and off the ball and their tackle count, but Kerry should be able to turn the tables on those fronts. Don't tell me that Dublin have trained as hard as Kerry or they have the same hunger. When you're beaten it stings and Kerry are fitter, more motivated, better prepared and organised than 12 months ago. I expect massive improvements this weekend.

Only half of last year's team will start and that brings the freshness we need. The kick-out strategy has been worked on for a year, we won't be just hoofing it out and there'll be no underestimating Brian Fenton this time.
    The ball will be kicked out before you know it to put Dublin on the back foot and I see our defence starting with our full-forward line. Some times they'll retreat to the '45, then they'll step up on the kick-out.

Eamonn Fitzmaurice has also practised with sweepers which Kerry never really did before and there's going to be more aggression in the tackle to get turnovers. Our tackle count will come from a hunger which only this Kerry team could have.
    Our management have learned lessons also and I think our match-ups will be spot on. I expect Shane Enright to take Bernard Brogan, Peter Crowley to pick up Diarmuid Connolly, David Moran assigned to Brian Fenton with Killian Young on Paddy Andrews, if he is picked to start.

I also can also see Paul Murphy being detailed on Ciarán Kilkenny. Having watched Dublin again and again for the last 12 months we know them inside out, all the homework has been done.
    Kerry have a great history of learning from defeats and last year will really have hurt the players and management that they didn't go gung-ho to win. We weren't adventurous. We went in as All-Ireland champions and were found wanting but Kerry will give it a right go this time.

Everything that Kerry football stands for is at stake here and we're going to see something different. I remember the hurt my colleagues had in 1977 after losing two years in a row to Dublin and this team have the same yearning for redemption.
    Dublin have their heel on our throat and we will fight tooth 'n' nail to make sure they don't press down on it. I think we'll have three or four styles of play, particularly in the full-forward line, which will be called upon at different stages depending on how things are going.

If the first style doesn't work we'll have another one, and another one, and another one after that. Physically, mentally and tactically we will leave everything out there and I'm not buying the argument that we don't have pace around the middle third either.
    We've addressed that issue and we'll have legs there with the likes of Tadhg Morley, Brian Begley, Crowley, David Moran and Darran O'Sullivan. None of them are short of speed.

The bench will be a potent weapon also with a host of match-winners to come in and make the desired impact. Having Bryan Sheehan, the Gooch, Marc Ó Sé and Barry John Keane, to name a few, in reserve is a nice luxury.
    We were totally off the mark last year but were still within a goal of them. This time we'll really test Dublin's fitness because we have worked ferociously hard. Fear is not an issue either and they have a serious chance of stopping the Dublin juggernaut.

To Kerry people this is huge. I played four All-Ireland's against Dublin and never lost to them and I can see the hurt in the current players. I know it's there. Everyone knows what football means down here; we've been on the hind tit with Dublin for a while and it's time that was put to bed once and for all.
    When Dublin play well there's no doubt they're the best team out there but it isn't all about talent at this stage. Every team has talent but it comes down to hunger and want. That's why it's so hard to win back-to-back titles and the Kerry lads will make that lung-bursting run a lot quicker than last year.

There'll be total disregard for their health. We were bullied last year and we won't be bullied this time, Kerry need this victory more than Dublin do.
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/gael...-34993790.html

---

Did the League final not happen?

If Kerry are relying on hunger and revenge and all that sort of stuff it will be a massacre.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Yeah some awful tripe out there, although Alan Brogan's piece wasn't overly inspiring either. Who does the bomber write for?

Having the hunger to win is a minimum requirement, both teams will have that in spades. They did last year too, Dublin were just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Yeah some awful tripe out there, although Alan Brogan's piece wasn't overly inspiring either. Who does the bomber write for?

Having the hunger to win is a minimum requirement, both teams will have that in spades. They did last year too, Dublin were just better.
    Brogan at leastr gave us some insight...

Darragh Ó Sé's article on Wednesday was a load of crap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Darragh's are always pure tripe. Declan 'Sullivan gave a decent analysis of what Kerry need to do on gaa.ie. Granted there was some of the 'we hurting so we'll perform' stuff but that's par for the course.

Looking forward to it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Right...

Have we all digested that?

Watched the Sunday Game, still haven't watched the replay and I'm not getting into any arguments about the referee as I think he had a great game and as a result we got a classic.

2006 v Mayo still shades it in the GOAT stakes but it was wonderful and had everything.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Was it really that good a game? or was it that we have been fed absolute tripe the whole season long and it just seemed great because of that. I'm not that convinced of its true quality. Kerry got 2 very lucky goals and only for that this would have been a cakewalk. Dublin/AIG are killing football slowly one game at a time. The GAA is completely losing it amateur ethos with this - there needs to be a cap put on spending on all GAA teams.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Was it really that good a game? or was it that we have been fed absolute tripe the whole season long and it just seemed great because of that. I'm not that convinced of its true quality. Kerry got 2 very lucky goals and only for that this would have been a cakewalk. Dublin/AIG are killing football slowly one game at a time. The GAA is completely losing it amateur ethos with this - there needs to be a cap put on spending on all GAA teams.

I was one of those who criticised the 2013 game for not being up there despite it being lauded to high heaven. I'm reserving full judgement until I rewatch the 2016 edition. But it's sticking out as a good one.

Kerry were gifted goals in one sense but those goals came after pressure on our kickouts, so they deserved them and aren't as soft as is being made out.

I completely refute this notion that we're killing the game. That's ridiculous!

For starters the AIG money hasn't begun to reap benefits (if it will at all) and secondly we've not won anything yet. This is an exceptional group of footballers brought through the ranks and we are reaping the benefits of those structures.

Kerry got to six finals in a row in the last decade... when we match maybe we'll look at it...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    I completely refute this notion that we're killing the game. That's ridiculous!

For starters the AIG money hasn't begun to reap benefits (if it will at all) and secondly we've not won anything yet. This is an exceptional group of footballers brought through the ranks and we are reaping the benefits of those structures.

Kerry got to six finals in a row in the last decade... when we match maybe we'll look at it...
    Dublin have lost twice in 6 years. In the modern era you can't get much better than that. They are almost unbeatable now, they have got their act together in a major may in the last 15 years, and in a way good luck to them in another way but they are now resourced to such an extent that they are moving to a level that others can't match. Now if the GAA are happy that resources dictate results then fine. But if Dublin win say 3 in a row football titles then interest in an already generally poor product will wane even further.

I was one of those who criticised the 2013 game for not being up there despite it being lauded to high heaven. I'm reserving full judgement until I rewatch the 2016 edition. But it's sticking out as a good one.
    MAybe I'm being too harsh, I'm not sure.

Kerry were gifted goals in one sense but those goals came after pressure on our kickouts, so they deserved them and aren't as soft as is being made out.
    Ah come on - there is pressure on kick-outs and there is gifting possession to the opposition!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Dublin have lost twice in 6 years. In the modern era you can't get much better than that. They are almost unbeatable now, they have got their act together in a major may in the last 15 years, and in a way good luck to them in another way but they are now resourced to such an extent that they are moving to a level that others can't match. Now if the GAA are happy that resources dictate results then fine. But if Dublin win say 3 in a row football titles then interest in an already generally poor product will wane even further.
    You have somewhat of a point... look at hurling, but I think it would take a 10-in-row in football for interest to get there sue to the sheer volume that play.

Instead of Dublin falling back other teams need to come up to us and instead of bleating in the sidelines about it as always happen from smaller counties re resources, maybe ask for help? It's in our interests for the game to improve everywhere, but when the counties of Leinster actively accept their mediocrity then what can you do.

Why Wicklow for a start have never wanted help from us is astounding. There's kids growing up in Bray and surrounds wearing Dublin shirts. That shouldn't be.

I can only imagine the Dublin Co Board would be only to willing to help out and plan with other counties.

The money in the Dublin game goes from bottom to top and that's why we have this team right now. It's not like the Leinster Academy in rugby where they take the best form schools and separate them from clubs.

I mean, Fingallians and Castleknock aren't senior teams and look what they have in their squads.

MAybe I'm being too harsh, I'm not sure.
    I'd reserve judgement yet...

Ah come on - there is pressure on kick-outs and there is gifting possession to the opposition!
    The gift had to come from somewhere.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    579 Posts
    I lost interest in this GAA season very early on, and Limerick crashing out so quickly was only partially to blame. Kilkenny and Tipp in the hurling, again, Dublin and Mayo, again, in the football, and a mountain of negative tactics and boring stretches in both codes, that isn't made up for by a few entertaining semi-finals.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I lost interest in this GAA season very early on, and Limerick crashing out so quickly was only partially to blame. Kilkenny and Tipp in the hurling, again, Dublin and Mayo, again, in the football, and a mountain of negative tactics and boring stretches in both codes, that isn't made up for by a few entertaining semi-finals.
    Those hurling SFs were games for the ages though.

Hurling needs to be acted upon quick. It's getting beyond it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Thank fook for Tipp.

Anyway tomorrow... Dublin by 4.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    Bonnie, congrats. I'm looking forward to next years tussle already, and for the rest of the decade.

Dublin won Sam this year doing what they needed to do. I cannot comment on the non-Kerry matches as I don't have RTE. All sympathy has gone out the window for Mayo though. When we beat them in 06, I thought at that stage that I wouldn't mind if Mayo won an All-Ireland at Kerry's expense. I don't care anymore, football is too cynical to be romantic about the big-guns.

Next years race for Sam will be tighter again, hopefully with Galway Tipperary pushing on, and maybe someone in Leinster will make a mark.

I saw the team of the season, and couldn't really argue with it, although I had raised eyebrows over Cluxton - with the qualifier being I didn't see enough Dublin matches. From a Kerry perspective I thought Mark Griffin or Shane Enright could have been in with a shout of a full back role, but the two Dubs were fully deserved.
    Kerry need Anthony Maher to get fit. Of the big guns, the stamina of the Kerry players is an issue. I do not know why. In matches against us, players are substituted due to poor performance; Kerry players are rarely hooked for being crap, more for being jaded, with the replacements either not up to scratch or not up to speed. That is not sustainable in my eyes. Something that pleases me about Dublin - they deserve great kudos for this - is there is absolutely no nonsense about standard of competition, or the quality of opponent. They just want to win everything. It starts with the O'Byrne and works its way from there. It fosters the competitive edge from the get-go, and it is something I wish Kerry would do. Dublin do not let up when they are on top - unlike previous Whelan-era Dublin teams - there is no ott-attitude when Dublin have the foot on the throat: they just press harder.
    Kerry have had an issue with letting leads slip for nearly 2 decades. I can pinpoint the match: Roscommon 2001. It is something that seeped into the psyche and has festered. It's not a problem with teams that have their own issues with self-belief (Monaghan being the prime example a couple of years ago) but when we're playing counties at the peak of their powers, or counties not over-awed by the size of the occasion, then it's an issue. You look at this Dublin side, and you would never say they are beaten until they are beaten. Kerry need to get that. And they'll get that by bringing through the minors, and letting Jack O'Connor do his magic with the 21's so that they can build on that. Because we need to build a squad badly. I don't care how this sounds, but certain players need to be jettisoned sooner rather than later.

Kelly, Enright, Griffin, Killian Young, Maher, Moran, Moran, Paul Murphy, Peter Crowley, Paul Geaney. They are all players who I'd be happy to build a squad/team around.
    Players like Morley, Begley, are players that a lot is expected of but haven't really shown all that much. Indeed how much stock can be placed in a championship where you lose the only "real" match you encounter? even Johnny Buckley for example, is an established player who has never really caught fire. Stephen O'Brien, Mickey Geaney, James O'Donoghue too - JOD is a shadow of his former self, but it definitely capable of remedying it.

stalwarts such as Sheehan, Donaghy, Marc Sé are gone. They don't have the legs required for the football being played nowadays - or injuries have just taken too much toll.
    Mahony is different, he's always been a different type of player. Even the Gooch, he surely has some role to play, even if he is on the wane. I think back to the effect Canavan had against Kerry in 2008, and how it turned the game, but I'm not sure in the 80 minute era that this Kerry team has the legs to accommodate such a scenario with Gooch. Donncadh Walsh is crucial to the type of system Fitzmaurice employs, but he's only good for 60 mins it seems. To me that's a problem with the system.

Eamon Fitzmaurice needs a good 2017. The defining image of 2016 for me was Marc O'Se coming on for Paul Geaney vs Dublin. I feel Fitzmaurice is a good manager. Even an average manager wouldn't have had the success he's had across a wide variety of streams. But he's making bad decisions. This needs to be rectified.

Here's to an exciting 2017. Congrats to Dublin.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'll get back about the AIF tomorrow but janey mac:

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/100...xford-manager/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    The link is broken to the O'Sé dynasty, with Marc O'Sé's retirement yesterday. My favourite of the 4, Marc was a superb footballer, as to the simply refer to him as a defender would be doing him a disservice. Great temperament, and in my opinion the finest exponent of the blockdown in modern football. Unfortunately this day has been inevitable for a while, and I'm glad he hung around to win in 2014, as his performance as sub in the replayed semi-final was superb, after a shocking outing in the drawn semi in Croker.

Tom Long - Paidí Sé - Darragh Sé - Tomás Sé - Marc Sé - a great line of All-Ireland's from back West. Thanks for everything Marc.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    So more sops to unionism being made...

Resolutely against the idea of dropping the anthem or flag. If we get to a point of reunification then we'll talk... but until then...

Is there really such a mass movement within unionism to have it changed so that they'll give the Gah a go? I think not!

http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/112...ag-and-anthem/

---

Thoughts on the Mark? I think it's tinkering around the edges. not pro- it not agin it.
    One thing to say about it is only from a kick-out so that'll sap any thoughts that it was gonna make us into AFL.

The signalling is odd. In Rugby, NFL (fair catch) and AFL you have to raise your hand to signal. In football it will be just stopping still. Leaves it a bit wishy-washy tbf.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/113...alls-new-rule/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts

Thoughts on the Mark? I think it's tinkering around the edges. not pro- it not agin it.
    One thing to say about it is only from a kick-out so that'll sap any thoughts that it was gonna make us into AFL.

The signalling is odd. In Rugby, NFL (fair catch) and AFL you have to raise your hand to signal. In football it will be just stopping still. Leaves it a bit wishy-washy tbf.
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2016/113...alls-new-rule/
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's nothing more impressive on the field that someone taking a high ball around a couple of players, bursting their way through, and firing over a point from 30-40 yards. Taking that out of the game with a 'mark' is nonsense.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

There's nothing more impressive on the field that someone taking a high ball around a couple of players, bursting their way through, and firing over a point from 30-40 yards. Taking that out of the game with a 'mark' is nonsense.
    I haven't seen that in GAA in 5 years at least. In fact - I think I could count on 1 hand the amount of points players hit on the run from 30-40 yards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/040...58-joe-brolly/

Joe Brolly on Tyrone - I've been saying for years that they need a change.

So back to the Dublin Juggernaut:

This week:

Senior team unbeaten run stretched to 36 games.
    Senior team reach 5th league decider in a row
    In that time they have a W-D-L Record of 32-6-5
    U21 team make it 6 Leinster titles in a row.

Might keep updating this periodically during the summer.

Can someone change the thread title to just "GAA" or Gaaaaahhhh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    620 Posts
    adios Gooch.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast