Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rovers sign McGovern from Longford

McGovern makes Hoops move

From eleven-a-side.com

January 20, 2005

Brian McGovern’s nightmare spell at Longford Town eventually came to an end this week when the former Irish under-21 defender agreed a move to Shamrock Rovers.

Former Arsenal and Norwich City trainee McGovern enjoyed a tremendous first season at Longford in 2003, helping the midlanders to the FAI Carlsberg Cup title with a series of commanding displays in the centre of defence.

However, his stock dipped last time around, when disagreements with manager Alan Matthews saw him dropped from the starting line-up.

The 24-year-old watched from the sidelines as Graham Gartland, Stephen Paisley, Sean Dillon and skipper Barry Ferguson shared out the central defensive duties and Longford improved on their 2003 record by adding the eircom League Cup to their haul and successfully defending the FAI Carlsberg Cup.

A proposed move to Inverness Caledonian Thistle in mid-season fell through, but McGovern has finally got his wishes with a move to Shamrock Rovers.

But the defender, who had a spell at St Patrick’s Athletic after returning home from England, has resisted the temptation to put the boot into the Longford management.

He told the Irish Daily Mirror: “Myself and Alan Matthews, the manager, had our differences but to be fair to the club, they have treated me as good as gold and I have no complaints.

“This is an opportunity for people to see what I can do. I have a lot to prove, not just to football people, but to myself.”

McGovern will have to battle for a starting place at the Hoops next season – another former Irish under-21 international, Jason McGuinness, and long-serving club captain Terry Palmer formed a decent defensive alliance at Rovers in 2004.

Anybody know the details of the move? Any Longfordians care to comment on his abilities?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    imho he could be a great signing for rovers.
    if he can sort out his attitude to the game.

is jason mcguinness not going to bohs ?

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,082 Posts
    As a player, he definitely has ability but he is always likely to dally with the ball or can be too casual in possession, he needs someone to organise him playing along with him as he wont do the shouting and roaring, Terry Palmer would fit the bill if he were fit. He fell out with Alan Mathews and never figured after that, why they fell out would take too long to go into right now. To be fair to him he's always maintained how well the club have treated him
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.