Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Podcast: Why there are two Irish teams?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

Podcast: Why there are two Irish teams?

I had a very interesting chat with Cormac Moore, author of a new book that looks at the reasons why there are two Ireland teams competing internationally.

He discovered that there were many past efforts made to bring the teams together.

Listen here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davegaasports View Post
    I had a very interesting chat with Cormac Moore, author of a new book that looks at the reasons why there are two Ireland teams competing internationally.

He discovered that there were many past efforts made to bring the teams together.

Listen here
    Whatever the historical background from the 20s, 50s or 70s- thoroughly covered by Cormac in the book- the reason why two teams endure is that neither's fans are willing for theirs to dissolve. Which, unsurprisingly, isn't really addressed in the podcast interview. Instead, we heard about a couple of academic sociology surveys suggesting that people from the PUL community who aren't interested in football wouldn't mind if there was a cross-border team. Presumably as they're unaware that one already exists, albeit bulked out by English and Scottish players

My fave bit is Cormac's claim that there might well have been a UI team in the 70s but for the Troubles. Or essentially, there would have been broad civic co-operation between Unionists and Nationalists but for the slight snag that there wasn't.

Interesting historically, a daydream in the present basically.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Whatever the historical background from the 20s, 50s or 70s- thoroughly covered by Cormac in the book- the reason why two teams endure is that neither's fans are willing for theirs to dissolve. Which, unsurprisingly, isn't really addressed in the podcast interview. Instead, we heard about a couple of academic sociology surveys suggesting that people from the PUL community who aren't interested in football wouldn't mind if there was a cross-border team. Presumably as they're unaware that one already exists, albeit bulked out by English and Scottish players

My fave bit is Cormac's claim that there might well have been a UI team in the 70s but for the Troubles. Or essentially, there would have been broad civic co-operation between Unionists and Nationalists but for the slight snag that there wasn't.

Interesting historically, a daydream in the present basically.
    Tell us about your academic qualifications and expertise on this historical issue? Is it a masters you have on Irish football or it just your usual narrow minded, parochial attitude at work as usual?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    #1 reason we still have two teams: Blazers
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars View Post
    #1 reason we still have two teams: Blazers
    If that were even a minor reason- let alone the most important- you might expect there to be a consistent clamor from NI fans for a merger/ takeover/ whatever to rescue us from the hapless IFA.

There isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gastric
    Tell us about your academic qualifications and expertise on this historical issue? Is it a masters you have on Irish football or it just your usual narrow minded, parochial attitude at work as usual?
    Degree in modern history from Dublin University since you ask, not that I needed it to read and learn from Cormac's book.

I prefer to argue my point backed with evidence, rather than lazily pull rank. Or spout witless abuse.

If I was narrow-minded or parochial I wouldn't have read the book or listened to the author, let alone discuss them on another team's fan website.

Do better.
    Last edited by Gather round; 21/05/2016 at 8:07 AM.

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    If that were even a minor reason- let alone the most important- you might expect there to be a consistent clamor from NI fans for a merger/ takeover/ whatever to rescue us from the hapless IFA.

There isn't.

Degree in modern history from Dublin University since you ask, not that I needed it to read and learn from Cormac's book.

I prefer to argue my point backed with evidence, rather than lazily pull rank. Or spout witless abuse.

If I was narrow-minded or parochial I wouldn't have read the book or listened to the author, let alone discuss them on another team's fan website.

Do better.
    I asked if you had a degree in Irish football, not a degree in modern history, although the bizarre thing is I actually have a masters from UCD, though why I did it is still a question I ask myself! Isn't life funny. BTW, I am still not aware of this so called evidence you refer to. All I see in your posts is a narrow minded smugness that is parochial and hard to comprehend.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    narrow minded smugness
    According to Gather Round, the fact that he comes to this forum to give across his opinions is evidence that he is not narrow minded

I suppose there are some parts of the universe where such an adventure would be regarded as radical and open minded.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    can we continue the discussion without personal insults? That'd be great, thanks.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    can we continue the discussion without personal insults? That'd be great, thanks.

Why are there different football teams at all? Why not have one 11 for everyone, the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    You're just lucky Office Space is one of my favourite films 😉

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    GR

There is a good interview with your gaffa on iTunes. The big interview with Graham Hunter

13. Thanks From: