Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Ireland ever been robbed?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Foot.ie! Has Ireland ever been robbed?

Looking at the ROy Carroll saga got me thinking - Has Ireland ever been robbed by a refereeing decision that could have been overturned by a video referee.

The only one that springs to mind for myself was for linekers goal against us in WC90. We should have had a throw 10 seconds proir to the ball being played in for Salt n Lineker....

Any more?
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    When Holland scored their winner against us in Euro '88 there was a player in an offside position. Back then the interpretation of "interfering with play" was different and many officials would not have allowed the goal. (However, it did go straight in and it would have been a very unfair decision to rule it out.)

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    1981, Belgium 1 Ireland 0. Ref disallowed perfect Stapleton goal and Belgians scored from a free after Gerets dived. Cost us a place in Spain '82.

You could hardly get more ****ed over by a ref. than we did.
    HERE HERE !!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    I remember that Dutch goal in '88 alright. Horrible. And John Aldridge's goal away to Spain when he was NEVER offside would have won us the match instead of 0-0

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    AFAIK away to belgium in 81
    euro 88 against holland definate offside
    italia 90 should have been ireland throw.
    WCQ v spain in seville??? john aldridge scored ruled offside but was onside.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    (However, it did go straight in and it would have been a very unfair decision to rule it out.)
    anybody who is offside in the 6 yard box should be ruled offside. (he was pretty close top the 6 yard box. thats in the line of sight of the keeper.)

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    Belgium in 97 just before they scored they're 2nd goal, i think it was a throw we should have had and it was given to them and they scored as a result.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    Belgium in 97 just before they scored they're 2nd goal, i think it was a throw we should have had and it was given to them and they scored as a result.
    if I remember correctly, the refereeing performance in that game was abysmal

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by razor
    We really should hate Belgium.

Thank olivera ******, hated him, big poxy ear ring, not good enough to play for Brazil so I'll declare for Belgium.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Loads of them. Belgium the worst by far. Holland 88 perhaps forgivable (Van Basten was trying to get on-side) but Seville in 92 also bad, although did not cost us a place nor the game as in 82. Paris six months before Belgium 81 was also memorable (Robinson goal), Bulgaria in 1977 (apparently the ref was spotted coming out of his hotel room the night before the game being held up by two scantily clad, and very drunk, 'chambermaids'). Also - for a special mention - US Cup 92 and 96 against Italy and Mexico, refereed by an Italian-American and Cuban-American respectively.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Aldo in Spain was a sickner alright. Defo onside.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbyblob
    The only one that springs to mind for myself was for linekers goal against us in WC90. We should have had a throw 10 seconds proir to the ball being played in for Salt n Lineker....
    Was that out of play? Never thought so, just remember Sheedy (?) stopping playing for a split second with his hand raised. Stupid.

Not a match we cared about, but the game against Mexico in the '96 US Cup deserves a mention - ref a Spanish-speaking American (or Puerto Rican or something) chatting to all the Mexican players before the game, awarding an apparently dodgy penalty and sending Liam Daish off for "time-wasting" and sending Mick McCarthy off for throwing the ball away...

Can't beat that Belgian game though - there was an article posted here a while back which had an interview with the ref about the game, and he was quite clearly trying to weasel out of admitting that he was bribed and threw the game.

On the plus side, though - anyone remember the second goal against Hungary in 1989 in Lansdowne? Houghton clearly pushing the defender in the back and looking around in shock when no free was given before crossing for Cascarino to score. Swings and roundabouts! (Bar the bribery, of course... )
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 06/01/2005 at 11:31 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    ....or Alan Mcloughlin being offside for our equaliser against England in Italy.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    On the plus side, though - anyone remember the second goal against Hungary in 1989 in Lansdowne? Houghton clearly pushing the defender in the back and looking around in shock when no free was given before crossing for Cascarino to score. Swings and roundabouts! (Bar the bribery, of course... )
    Or the Turkey game in 1990. 5-0. The ref was, I think, Swedish. Apparently he was seen coming out of his hotel bedroom being propped up by two very drunk 'chambermaids'. Oh, I've already done that one. Anyway, he get's my vote for the bloke I'd like to ref every Ireland game.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think these all fall into three broad categories.

1. The blatent ones (with a strong hint of corruption)
    - Belgium 81
    - Bulgaria 77

2. The obviously mistaken decisions - eg
    - Aldo's goal in Spain

3. The debatable decisions - eg
    - throw-in v England 90
    - offside v Holland 88

The blatent ones stand out - especially Belgium. There was a strong whiff about this one and its since been proven that Anderlecht were bribing refs during this period. There was a spooky interview in the Sunday Trib a couple of years back with the Portugese ref - a Mr Nazere(?) which only hightened suspicions that something very dodgy took place.
    Together with all our hearts.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fergalr
    The blatent ones stand out - especially Belgium. There was a strong whiff about this one and its since been proven that Anderlecht were bribing refs during this period. There was a spooky interview in the Sunday Trib a couple of years back with the Portugese ref - a Mr Nazere(?) which only hightened suspicions that something very dodgy took place.
    Was it Anderlecht who were (allegedly!) guilty of bribing a referee when they played Nottingham Forest in the European Cup in Cloughie's heyday? It was a blatant case of daylight robbery and I think Clough got in hot water for pointing it out. Anyone know the details?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by monutdfc
    Was it Anderlecht who were (allegedly!) guilty of bribing a referee when they played Nottingham Forest in the European Cup in Cloughie's heyday? It was a blatant case of daylight robbery and I think Clough got in hot water for pointing it out. Anyone know the details?
    Just go to google and type in:
    anderlecht bribery nottingham forest
    Together with all our hearts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Conor74
    Ireland Bulgaria in Sofia in 1977. A win would have set Ireland up for qualification for Argentina. With the score at 1-1 Ireland scored, only for the ref to controversially rule it out under pressure from a hostile home crowd. Stapleton was badly fouled and a brawl saw 4 men sent off, 2 from each side. The Bulgarians scored again to pretty much end Ireland's chances of going through. Even the manager of France, who won the group, stated that Ireland were robbed and the goal was perfectly good.

Maybe we should start this thread again. Have Ireland ever NOT been robbed by the ref in crucial games...
    During a conversation I had with two accomplices in a cafe in downtown Sofia, I mentioned the name Gary Mackay...

went down really well I tell ya.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    What about the two penalties awarded against Ireland when we played Macadonia. Two cases of ball to hand if I remember, one against Terry Phelan, not sure who the other one was against.
    Always look on the bright side of life

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    The penalty awarded against Lee Carsley in the playoff game against Turkey is another one. Handball has to be deliberate and that one was never deliberate.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast