Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Netherlands 27th May 2016 & Belarus 31st May 2016 Friendlies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    I'd liked to have seen Daryl Horgan in the squad.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I guess we'll let the chips fall where they may.

It's never like my gut feeling has been right with these things before.

Bottom line I think it's incredibly strange how a League Two player is getting called up for any reason when there are two players not much older than him winning POTY awards at mid-table Championship teams and Darragh Lenihan has broken through at Blackburn.

What's the difference between Cunningham, Doherty & Lenihan and O'Dowda?

There you go.

Is the latter realistically going to be ready for a WC qualifying campaign before them?!

Like Nigel said. It's a joke that this kind of tokenism isn't afforded to players like Towell, Horgan and Finn when they are flying in our domestic league.
    Last edited by TheOneWhoKnocks; 15/05/2016 at 3:09 PM.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    What's the difference between Cunningham, Doherty & Lenihan and O'Dowda?
    3 defenders and an out and out winger or am I missing something? Trick question?

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I may be a little hard on O'Dowda here. I think it's ridiculous but it's not his fault he has been called up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I think it was me who introduced the term "political" wrt O'Dowda's selection. I don't care if part of the reason for calling him up is "asset protection" as Crafty called it. What's the big deal? Unlike Grealish who wore his heart on his sleeve on Twitter, there are no clues yet as to how strongly or otherwise O'Dowda is wedded to playing football for Ireland. He's clearly a good player capable of a higher level, a stand out U21, and O'Neill says he wants to see how he gets on and give him a taste of things. So what? In all likelihood he'll have a few days training with the squad and then go on holidays.

Doherty, Cunningham and Lenihan have no chance of making the Euros squad so their absence is no big deal. I think some players are in the squad so as not to be jettisoned too abruptly. If those 3 continue to play well their chance will come next season. Personally I'd like to have seen Doherty and Cunningham in the big squad, but rational observation shows there are other options in their positions. Simple explanation for me. We don't need 6 full backs.

I think it's funny how omitting POTYs at Preston and Wolves is a reason for one poster to be outraged, yet a player who won POTY at a better team is regularly the subject of derision.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I haven't derided Keogh in ages though!

You have to go back to the Reading game last season for the last time I had a sustained go at him. Credit where it's due, he was fine in the games he deputised in.

I would certainly have him in the squad, and having seen O'Shea's performances lately it's touch and go as to whether I would continue with Keogh and Clark. Especially with Wilson injured.

Now if Keogh has had a mare I'm not going to keep my mouth zipped about it, same as O'Shea on his thread yesterday. It's not about having a grudge against x player or y player.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I haven't derided Keogh in ages though!

You have to go back to the Reading game last season for the last time I had a sustained go at him.
    How compassionate of you. Of course it should be noted that you were hibernating for six months of that time also, while Richie was busy keeping Germans at bay and helping us qualify the Euros. I think it's fair to say you were short on ammunition when you returned, seeing as during your absence he did everything you deemed him incapable of doing. But fair play to you for cutting him some slack, very noble. And of course you retain the right to say "I told you so" when he inevitably makes a costly mistake at some stage.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Did anybody avail of the season ticket holders presale for the Belarus game yesterday? I picked mine up through the '3' presale this morning. I selected the Donie Forde stand on Ticketmaster but the section I'm in indicates the St. Anne's End I think.... Block I? Happy enough to get sorted either way. They go on general sale on Friday morning.

Onsale Dates and Times

• •MAY•19THU
      SSE Rewards Presale
      09:00 Local Time
      Ends Fri, May 20, 2016 at 09:00 Local Time
    • •MAY•20FRI
      General public onsale
      10:00 Local Time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Did anybody avail of the season ticket holders presale for the Belarus game yesterday? I picked mine up through the '3' presale this morning. I selected the Donie Forde stand on Ticketmaster but the section I'm in indicates the St. Anne's End I think.... Block I? Happy enough to get sorted either way. They go on general sale on Friday morning.

yes. 2 tickets for the St Annes end also here. think both the FAI ST and 3 presales were for this part of the ground only

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Did anyone see the guy putting up on facebook rep of ireland group "Two tickets for IRL v BEL"
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Did anyone see the guy putting up on facebook rep of ireland group "Two tickets for IRL v BEL"
    No, but here's what I think. No, wait.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    How compassionate of you. Of course it should be noted that you were hibernating for six months of that time also, while Richie was busy keeping Germans at bay and helping us qualify the Euros. I think it's fair to say you were short on ammunition when you returned, seeing as during your absence he did everything you deemed him incapable of doing. But fair play to you for cutting him some slack, very noble. And of course you retain the right to say "I told you so" when he inevitably makes a costly mistake at some stage.
    Sounds like you are pre-empting it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well you couldn't rule it out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    Pearce, McShane, Hayes and Pilkington cut from squad.

http://www.the42.ie/paul-mcshane-4-p...83995-May2016/

Pilkington deserves to be in that squad on form. Would've liked another look at Hayes too.

McGeady training with the squad despite his club having a Playoff final in a few days says it all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Pilkington should definitely be in the squad
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

21. Thanks From:

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    MON: Marc Wilson has had a setback. The best thing for him is to take 4 or 5 weeks off. He will be out (of #EURO2016).. #COYBIG
    https://twitter.com/FAIreland/status/734709144696016896
    MON: James McCarthy has gone for a scan. It seems positive. He will hopefully join in tomorrow. Fingers crossed, I think he will be okay.

MON: Kevin Doyle will join up with the squad ahead of the Belarus game. #COYBIG

MON: Callum O'Dowda can go past players, has great control. He is delighted to be here. He didn't look out of place. #COYBIG

MON: David McGoldrick finished the season very well. It's nice to see him getting back. The same with Daryl Murphy. #COYBIG

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I wonder how he can reconcile decisions like retaining McGeady with decisions like retaining O'Dowda. Strange rationales on different sides of the coin.

Pilkington has generally impressed for Ireland and has a goal threat. Hayes done enough in March to warrant another look. You have players like Cunningham & Doherty left at home after winning distinctions.

Then you have the Westwood & Delaney situations..

It's just baffling really. I'm sure other teams have outliers but I don't think any of them will do something as out there as select a fourth division player on the basis of one match (which we got hammered in) against a middling Italy U-21 team.

And that's not to mention young Jack Byrne getting left out at the expense of O'Kane and Gibson who have about 20 league starts between them over the last two seasons.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    No, it's not baffling at all.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Well you hardly expect him not to make a big song and dance about nothing. Encouraging comments on O'Dowda.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    TOWK, he said all along he would be sticking with the players that got us to the finals in the first place. He's sticking to his word. The other players should have their time in the squad in the future. The only player of those you mention that I could make a strong case for inclusion is Pilkington ahead of Murphy or Doyle. I can see why McGeady is in even if I don't agree with it.

You mention Delaney like it's an issue. It's not. It's just sh!t that happens when players pull out of international football or are ambiguous in their commitment. Plus he's not going to make or break our euros.

Again, none of these decisions will come back to haunt us in any real way.

There's about 7 more to be cut for the final squad. Try and keep your knickers untwisted.
    Last edited by SkStu; 23/05/2016 at 2:20 PM.

28. Thanks From:

Page 4 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast