Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: When the Assistant Manager takes over!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts

When the Assistant Manager takes over!

I have Mick Cooke and Harry Kenny in mind as I write this.

Often when the manager gets sacked the assistant gets the nod, for a while or longer perhaps. Im interested in other peoples opinions in this or other cases.
    One aspect is that usually the manager has originally chosen the backroom staff and then suddenly the manager alone gets the sack and the assistant gets the job - what does that do for their future relationship? Another thing to think about is how good an appointment is someone who had a big influence on a team that was on a bad run prior to the sacking? Does the assistant sit on his hands a bit during the bad run or has he ideas and a philosophy of football, all of a sudden, that differs totally from the manager and they are at loggerheads for a period of time before the sacking?

Any examples of a sacking where the assistant moved up and was relatively successful?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Sean McGowan often had very successful spells as caretaker manager at Harps but never was given the main job.

Johnny Speak was also fairly successful after taking over from Gavin Dykes in the early 00's, in this case being appointed player/manager after a good run as caretaker manager. If I remember right, we were desperately unlucky to be relegated from the Premier after a good run of games similar to Limerick last season.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Outside of LOI, Roberto Di Matteo springs to mind immediately, not withstanding his second season.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    535 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Sean McGowan often had very successful spells as caretaker manager at Harps but never was given the main job.

Johnny Speak was also fairly successful after taking over from Gavin Dykes in the early 00's, in this case being appointed player/manager after a good run as caretaker manager. If I remember right, we were desperately unlucky to be relegated from the Premier after a good run of games similar to Limerick last season.
    correct Nigel. I remember 2000/01 season well I was in Ballybofey for last day of season and ye were deserved winners over us and were unlucky to stay up. I think Jonathan Speake was in charge that day or it may have being Gavin Dykes?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Collie O'Neill was Aaron Callaghan's assistant when we went down. Then as manager, took us through a round in Europe and nearly to immediate promotion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    correct Nigel. I remember 2000/01 season well I was in Ballybofey for last day of season and ye were deserved winners over us and were unlucky to stay up. I think Jonathan Speake was in charge that day or it may have being Gavin Dykes?
    That's the one. I was only a wee lad then, Dykes left early in the season after a terrible start and Speak took over, almost keeping us up.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    22 Posts
    I think sometimes when the assistant takes over as caretaker it's more a case of loyalty (for want of a better word) to the players more so than any self advancement. At least in my (limited) experience it has been.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Peter Hutton has taken over a few times for us, once when he was assistant. That was after Roddy left. He did steady the ship and we reached the cup final.
    That was a mad oul year, thinking back. Roddy was coming out with mad comments about why people shouldn't go to watch us, sent Patterson to play with the U21s, and sent Pizza to Richmond Park instead of being at the Brandywell.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Actually, I forgot Aaron Callaghan himself was assistant to Martin Russell, and took over when Martin left.

That went well...

And Russell himself was assistant to Pete Mahon, which did go well, by and large.