Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: The 'Kenny Shiels is quite the interesting character' thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    Does not come across well there at all. Bizarre responses and frankly his “well done Einstein” comment to a journalist asking what were really quite simple questions was pathetic.
    Has to be gone.

I get that he's under pressure, and has always come across as a genuinely nice fella any time I've met him, but it's not on to speak to the media (and by extension, the fans) like that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    To be fair too him the journalist could have ansewered "they aren't here because of money" much earlier and him refusing to say it was clearly ****ing off KS as it implied that the reason the players weren't there was because of KS.

I'd say his goose is cooked, the Chairman made a show of him a month or so ago when criticising his recruitment and now he is saying the reason he cant sign good players is because the same guy wont give him the money.

The Kenny Sheils is interesting thread will be pretty quiet next year unless a vacancy comes up elsewhere and the poor finish to the league by Derry won't help his CV...............tbf he won the EA cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    To be fair too him the journalist could have ansewered "they aren't here because of money" much earlier and him refusing to say it was clearly ****ing off KS as it implied that the reason the players weren't there was because of KS.
    It's not the job of a journalist to explain our league position, or to answer his own questions. The reason it's just money either, we've spent feckloads of guff this season, whilst younger Derry lads have been shipped off to other clubs.

Reporter on BBC Radio Foyle talking about the now.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts

I'd say his goose is cooked, the Chairman made a show of him a month or so ago when criticising his recruitment and now he is saying the reason he cant sign good players is because the same guy wont give him the money.

The Kenny Sheils is interesting thread will be pretty quiet next year unless a vacancy comes up elsewhere and the poor finish to the league by Derry won't help his CV...............tbf he won the EA cup
    Yeah I thought the interviewer was notably hesitant to answer the question as well so fair enough in that regard.

You are probably right on all counts (as indeed is Brendy) and I would be surprised to see him at the club for much longer.

I must say until this season it was hard to fault him but it has went downhill rapidly. 2 out of 3 good years and the League Cup in his worst season is not all that bad and he was dignity and class personified when representing the club after the death of Ryan McBride so I do hope assuming he does leave he is given the respect he has earned from the club and fans, something he often hasn’t got I feel.

I was surprised he didn’t go for the Coleraine job as it would have been a good role at a good time and would’ve been a perfect “out” for him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    "Well done Einstein" is a hilariously throwback comment in 2018.

I quite like Kenny Shiels although I think he'd drive me mad if he actually managed a team I supported. Mostly comes across well if a bit...eccentric when trying to forge a siege mentality, and tries to get his team playing decent football, though as we learned last season any team that's trying to play out from the back with Gavin Peers has probably had a bit of a misstep on the recruitment front.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    considering he likes to play football , would he be not make a potential Pats manager?
    I'm not joking btw,

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Once you go into territory where you are talking about the 'football people' being behind you are in dodgy territory.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    According to KS "Derry are quite similar to Dundalk in the way they play"

Has he completely flipped or is he even aware of the number of goals they concede?
    Well both have similar numbers of Derrymen. Although Dundalk are better at holding on to them.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    considering he likes to play football , would he be not make a potential Pats manager?
    I'm not joking btw,
    This crossed my mind but I think it might be a bit late in the day for it. Pats are playing it quite close to their chest but they seem to be well into the process of speaking to the possible candidates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    He is trying to do the right things at the wrong time. Shiels himself often spoke about having a team of young inexperienced lads but then sends them out playing high risk tactics. If confidence is low after a hammering it isnt the wisest thing to play every ball out short from the back. I was of the opinion that he was more an eccentric character but thinking back to the allegations of sectarianism in Cork, recent ramblings about not being like Dundalk, Stephen Kenny only ever buying players then naming specific player that were young player who got their break under S. Kenny,to saying they are like Dundalk. Signing players and spending 100k releasing them but then alluding to not having enough money, throwing 'journalists' out of a press conference, storming off in the above interview and so on. He is all over the shop!

If he hadnt handled the loss of Ryan McBride so well and and that Derry were away from the Brandywell last season, for footballing reasons I think he could have been out of the job before now. When the chairman was so public in some pretty scathing criticism it was just seeing out the season by the looks of it. He is not a bad manager just a bit unhinged lol. He would probably do quite well with tweaking an established squad like St Pats or improve Sligo. But building a team he is far too scattergun - sign lots of players and some of them will be good enough and the rest are padding or cut loose.

Having said all that Derry have fallen in to the cycle of hiring and firing managers (4 in 7 years? Devine, Hutton, Collins, Sheils and whomever might replace him) and are trying to break that cycle and have stuck by Sheils. The chairman and board havent been that up to scratch themselves. The Derry team that played in Oriel under Devine was very good and then not long after the Roddy Collins side was one of the worst Derry sides Ive ever seen. Maybe i'm wrong about the team Devine had but they were solid 3rd or 4th then and could have kicked on so was he fired too quickly Derry fans?
    When you look at the Derry players plying their trade at so many other clubs, particularly the younger lads, there is a serious issue with player retention, probably due to managerial change and wanting their own players in each time but what a homegrown team Derry could have! Again Derry fans will know if Im off the mark but it seems like a complete rebuild job each time they've appointed a new manager and a couple of years later the same again. Considering that maybe Sheils should get another season and a chance to address his defensive issues (himself and his team) as as an attacking side they are good. Who knows....
    Last edited by Nesta99; 22/10/2018 at 8:02 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Kenny Shiels says he will be Derry boss next season

https://www.bbc.com/sport/av/footbal...rthern_ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The thread survives to fight again !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The thread survives

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Derry City FB page saying he is gone:
    Derry City F.C. and Kenny Shiels have decided to part company as of today.

We acknowledge Kenny’s contribution to the Football Club over the past three seasons, one of which was particularly difficult.

We wish Kenny the best for the future.

The club will make no further comment on the issue.

Philip O’Doherty,

Chairman, Derry City Football Club
    There is a link to the statement on their website, but the link doesn't work (for me at least).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    No! Football as we know it is finished.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Released with the speed of a decision made months ago.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    The thread survives
    The thread dies ...........that was quick

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    We might never meet the likes of him again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Lock the thread. RIP in piece.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    This thread now gone to the ex Managers forum in the sky,to join such alumni as Blackie Connors, Rico, Nutsy et al

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast