Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Kenny Shiels is quite the interesting character' thread.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Think Stephen Kenny would be mad to leave dundalk. He has a job for life there and has proven successful. I feel if he went anywhere else he would die on his ar$e, to be honest.
    I heard talk of him for the Ireland job- I think the championship/lower division dog$hit players we currently have wearing the green shirt would laugh his methods out the door- it would say as much about them as him, in my view.

I can assure one and all that Rovers fans do not pine for the one that got away in Kenny, but the last proper manager we had (MON) and how he's continued his success with norn iron.
    The quality of wumming on this site is fickle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think Kenny Sheils is walking a plank at Derry. The chairman calling him out on recruitment recently was bizarre and I think some of the statements he has made of late have been in a self justifying and defensive nature. I will be surprised if he is still there next season........st pats ?
    Huh ? What thought process led you there ? Can't see why we would be interested in Kenny Shields.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    Think Stephen Kenny would be mad to leave dundalk. He has a job for life there and has proven successful. I feel if he went anywhere else he would die on his ar$e, to be honest.
    I heard talk of him for the Ireland job- I think the championship/lower division dog$hit players we currently have wearing the green shirt would laugh his methods out the door- it would say as much about them as him, in my view.

I can assure one and all that Rovers fans do not pine for the one that got away in Kenny, but the last proper manager we had (MON) and how he's continued his success with norn iron.
    Wasnt that one of the issues with Kenny's time at Rovers? Not intending to be smart, its a genuine question! I just recall the talk on here and other fora at the time that the core of MO'Ns players being resistant to changes SK wanted to make, system used, general tactics, match prep, longer training and 2 sessions on Saturdays added and so on. Now every time this is mentioned the reply has been a sort of deflection in commenting on poor player recruitment (which is a valid issue) rather than answering the actual question raised. The way SK is and the level of detail he delves in to for preparing his teams, the expectation he has for players to buy in to his ways, it was always going to take considerable time. Maybe he was changing too much too quickly for reigning champions, he was on a hiding to nothing with being in the shadow if the previous manager, If he wanted his own players he was moving on club legends, if club legends were not doing what he wanted he was dropping them which wasnt popular added to not getting results with those players that are not being fully committed to the new ways. The bord seemed to back player power than the manager and no doubt the board were keeping fans favourites sweet and by extendion those fans. This all had longer term ramifications in the firing and hiring of the next 3 or 4 managers - Croly got a very long time after Kenny was fired quickly, they also should not have let Fenlon have the time he got. The club seems committed to Bradley as they dont want to be a high managerial turnover club

I really dont care about SK's time in Tallaght, and I have no desire to try and get Rovers fans to say what could have been ie admitting to a jealusy of sorts as much as regretting his early removal. I really am just interested on know how much of the difficulty the team was going through was down to mismanagement, and how much was down to certain cliques withing the playing squad not allowing change or allow Kenny the chance to coach his way. I will mention it again in hope for clarification - was SK locked out of the dressingroom by players? He lost the dressingroom maybe but hard to lose if you never had it in the first place?

No matter what the issues were they benefitted Dundalk - we wouldnt have been able to afford his wages only that as he was still being paid (off) by Rovers he was willing to considder a lower offer from Dundalk, basically the balance that took his wages to the level before sacking (after he'd agreed a reduced payoff so as to release him to take the Dundalk job. In his first year at Dundalk rovers pay(off) subsidised Dundalk's terms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Kenny was unsuccessful at rovers like at other clubs he left, he has done well for dundalk , might or might no t be successful in the future. The reason he was fired at rovers was the same as at dunfirmiline the club didn't think he was the right man just like some of the other clubs he left. I don't know about the lock out, I think it's an urban legend. I'd say the players and Kenny were both responsible, rarely one side right or wrong.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    Huh ? What thought process led you there ? Can't see why we would be interested in Kenny Shields.
    He is a bit of an enigma. I think he is a decent manager he just comes across very poorly sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Of course winning trophies is preferable, if you read what I said all I said was when it comes to players being developed at clubs I prefer to see the kid who's supported the club and been in the youth team for years come good than the journey man go from 3rd choice at a similar level club to a world beater.

It's not the "current nirvana" for some it's just something that every club that wants to progress and be sustainable needs think Busby babes, 60's Celtic, 70's Ajax, class of 92, Barcelona's circa 2011 teams and it's where Irish clubs have failed in the past so yes fans who can see their club trying to do something exciting that other clubs haven't tried in Ireland before get some pleasure from it.

It also differs hugely from the schoolboy factories in that players are being developed for the first team and not explicitly to be sold on. They are though like any other player in that if a "too good to turn down" offer comes in they'll be sold. The sale of Bazunu is no different to that of Burke, both were bought in to play for the first team not to make a quick buck.

Yes he is a better manager but that's not what was said, it was about youth development and you've confused that with management in general and development of non youth players.
    Shams hoovering up of any decent schoolboy players is similar to Bray of a few years back - all of the players they “developed” were outstanding at other schoolboy clubs before going to shams.
    A “too good to refuse offer’ can be anything - especially as the performance indicator appears to be players sold (Burke and Bazunu the ones regularly quoted).
    Outbidding other schoolboy clubs is neither new or innovative but does cover up a lack of progress at senior level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Lol you have us sussed.
    It was never a penalty btw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Kenny was unsuccessful at rovers like at other clubs he left, he has done well for dundalk , might or might no t be successful in the future. The reason he was fired at rovers was the same as at dunfirmiline the club didn't think he was the right man just like some of the other clubs he left. I don't know about the lock out, I think it's an urban legend. I'd say the players and Kenny were both responsible, rarely one side right or wrong.
    Left eventually after becoming the coach they didnt think was right but not really like what happened at rovers;
    Longford, promoted for the first time ever, got to a cup final and qualified for Europe. There 3 years but headgunted by
    Bohs-Fai Cup final and steared them away from relegartion yr 1. Yr 2 League title and runners up yr3. Sacked while in 3rd place 3 months in to year 4.
    2004 took Derry from relegartion fodder to title runners up. Beat Gothenburg, Gretna, and drew 1 leg with PSG. Legue runner up on GD and Cup winners, 2 league cups
    2006 took Dunfermline to a SFA Cup Final and from 10 points adrift to witin a result of safety. Scottish Challange cup success after relegation but was eventually sacked.
    Promotion at first time of asking back with Derry.
    Rovers.....
    Dundalk, 4 leagues 1double, 2 EA Sports Cups, Grouple stages of Europa League.

So Rovers is the only disaster. Ye cant really say he was the wrong man in the jobs even at Dunfermline. His second year didnt go well but not a total disaster and he could have turned it around. He say himself that he was young and made mistakes in Scotland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Shams hoovering up of any decent schoolboy players is similar to Bray of a few years back - all of the players they “developed” were outstanding at other schoolboy clubs before going to shams.
    A “too good to refuse offer’ can be anything - especially as the performance indicator appears to be players sold (Burke and Bazunu the ones regularly quoted).
    Outbidding other schoolboy clubs is neither new or innovative but does cover up a lack of progress at senior level.
    Usually involves kitchen sinks be thrown at the player. Rovers have a few to offer now with farming out youths abroad ;p

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    That's one version of history and not entirely inaccurate. But he was fired from dunfirmiline because they lost faith same at rovers and I'd say elsewhere but nobody is saying (Well no one sensible) that has not a good manager just success is transitory, illusive and entirely unpredictable. He's a success at dundalk he may move and be a disaster in his next job...or a success. Who knows.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Usually involves kitchen sinks be thrown at the player. Rovers have a few to offer now with farming out youths abroad ;p
    Lol another one at it. Schoolboy clubs farm kids out. Rovers sell one professional player to Manchester city and the player gets a decent contract to match unlike the 150quid a week at Stevenage and the likes that Kevin's and joeys are happy with. Credit where it's due boys rovers have invested more than any other club in their academy, have a bit of perspective.

I can acknowledge Kenny is a good msnager and bohs serve good craft beer. Everything about rovers isnt negative.
    Last edited by sbgawa; 14/10/2018 at 5:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    370 Posts
    Stephen Kenny could win the league for Dundalk in 2019 and 2020 to make it 6 titles in his 8 years at DFC and Rovers fans will still never admit it would be a case of 'what could have been' so this is a pointless discussion to continue. Pat Fenlon won multiple LOI titles but he also didn't win anything at Rovers, I wouldn't be looking at the managers in these cases, I'd be looking at the club.

It's obvious Rovers fans don't have much time for Kenny, and that's fine, but I think it's wrong not to acknowledge his achievements at other clubs and currently. I'll balance this by saying I always think Caulfield could play better football at Cork, and that's just my opinion, but this guy is no mug, he's won 1 league and 2 cups, so he has to be considered a decent manager especially where he took Cork from (mid table) and where he came from (non league).
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Credit where it's due boys rovers have invested more than any other club in their academy, have a bit of perspective.

I can acknowledge Kenny is a good msnager and bohs serve good craft beer. Everything about rovers isnt negative.
    Rovers do deserve credit for the extent of the academy investment. The sale of Bazunu is a good start on a possible return on that investment, but the jury is still out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    I genuinely don't see your issue if he had stayed on at dunfirmiline instead of being fired maybe they would have won a load of stuff, if he'd stayed at rovers instead of being fired maybe rovers would have won loads , no one will ever know. If he'd stayed at Derry maybe they would be top of the league. One thing has no 'relation to the other. Because Kenny has won 4 in 5 some people think he is infallible.

He is an excellent manager on a remarkable run.....Why are u so worried about the club's he was fired from?
    Last edited by sbgawa; 14/10/2018 at 5:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Actually maybe better then focussing on the club's he was fired from the point that success at dunfirmiline or rovers would not neccessarily have come with multiple league titles if he hadnt been fired is better illustrated by saying how come he didn't win multiple league titles at the other clubs , Derry etc? Again ....for the sensitive dundalk supporters that doesn't mean I don't think he is not az very good manager it is just that nobody guarantees success.
    Btw I personally don't have anything against him or Fenlon or crolly, I'm sure everyone of them tried there best which is asll u can ask
    Last edited by sbgawa; 14/10/2018 at 5:37 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Rovers do deserve credit for the extent of the academy investment. The sale of Bazunu is a good start on a possible return on that investment, but the jury is still out.
    Agreed ez. the jury is still out, the older membership who elect the board are behind the investment but some of the younger fans would rather see all the money go into the first team. As an older fan myself I can see the value in trying to invest in kids but for some people even a few years without a trophy seems like a lifetime
    Last edited by sbgawa; 14/10/2018 at 5:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Agreed ez. the jury is still out, the older membership who elect the board are behind the investment but some of the younger fans would rather see all the money go into the first team. As an older fan myself I can see the value in trying to invest in kids but for some people even a few years without a trophy seems like a lifetime
    Disagree- lots of older Members are underwhelmed not by the investment in the youth set up, but by the balls ups made by the Board since 2011, then they had everything in place and managed to blow it - the current strategy will most likely work , just a pity they screwed up the golden opportunity they had in 2011 and set us back for a few years , but as ever the natural state will return as it always has over the last 100 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    656 Posts
    If the majority of members were unhappy the entire board wouldn't have been re-elected a couple of weeks ago. But your right natural order will be restored sooner rather than later I hope

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    If the majority of members were unhappy the entire board wouldn't have been re-elected a couple of weeks ago. But your right natural order will be restored sooner rather than later I hope
    Note the use of the word lots not majority- plus many of those not in agreement with the board are amongst the approx 100 Members who have cancelled their membership over the last few years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    28 Posts
    How many members are there now?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast