Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The 'Kenny Shiels is quite the interesting character' thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Lee Power said he cleared all Waterford United's debts and it was just a rebranding with new name and club badge so wasn't a case of walking away from debts and starting again.
    Kenny Shield has a fair point with his comments there.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Good craic from Kenny Shiels on why he is the no 1 on youth development

You can listen to the interview on the link below

Kenny Shiels on Stephen Kenny: "He'd never bring in a youth player from another club that he thinks he could develop"

The Derry City manager talked about his development philosophy at Derry City

Derry City manager Kenny Shiels joined Tuesday's Off the Ball to reflect on the opening few weeks of the League of Ireland.
    Shiels was keen to talk about how his development strategy at the club differs from the rest and speaking to Nathan, he said: "None of the other teams seem to be doing it to the extreme that we are. I don't know why that is - it's just unfortunate. I think the attraction for young players to come to Derry is probably because I'm here and my record in youth development and player development but more importantly it's because they see it as a stepping stone to England or Scotland.

"They don't see that with the other clubs as much. If you look at James McClean and Daniel Rafferty and Niall McGinn and the history of our club. We're a small parish but Derry, in comparison to Dublin and Cork, it's fantastic what they've turned out over the years in Derry City.
    "So that's appealing to a young nineteen year old coming back from England..so they see it as a good appeal for them.

"Whereas the other clubs they go and bring in 'ready-made' - if you look at Stephen Kenny every season - he's bringing in 'ready-made' - he'd never bring in a youth player from another club that he thinks he could develop that player.
    "Everybody has got their own skillset and Stephen can bring in players that are ready to go and challenge for the top trophies.
    "It's just a different psyche and a different philosophy for his club," he added.
    http://www.offtheball.com/Soccer/Ken...-another-club-

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    lol 6 ex Cork City players in the current International Squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    Not to mention the players he named were at Derry under Stephen Kenny.

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Not to mention the players he named were at Derry under Stephen Kenny.
    Yes!!!!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Kenny Shiels diverting attention from the fact he has a very significant budget with huge backing from his chairman. He does so very well.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    327 Posts
    Is it just me or does Shiels remind you of Trump sometimes. They both seem to come out with the weirdest ****,hoping if they say it loud enough and often enough, that eventually it will be taken as fact. Plus I reckon Shiels is partial to the Oompa Loompa juice too.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    Is it just me or does Shiels remind you of Trump sometimes.
    He's more like the Roddy Collins of old, without the being entertaining part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    That's a bit harsh on Sheils , he is more of a "character" where as Roddy has transformed into full on Roddy Caricture, is the original Roddy even there anymore?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    116 Posts
    https://www.derrynow.com/sport/lette...-talent/252295

Kenny Shiels has written an open letter to the youth football fraternity in the city in response to criticism as regards the lack local players.....

It raises some points as regards the impact the new underage structure may have however does not account for the loss of several young local players who had already made the first team but have subsequently left - Boyle, Daniels, Doherty etc. which is were most of the frustration stems from.

Shane McEleney - Larne
    David McDaid - Larne
    Josh Daniels - Glenavon
    Ben Doherty - Glenavon
    Niall Grace - Glenavon
    Ciaron Harkin - Coleraine
    Rory Patterson - Crusaders
    Patrick McClean - Sligo
    Patrick McEleney - Dundalk
    Dean Jarvis - Dundalk
    Michael Duffy - Dundalk
    Aaron Barry - Cork (obviously not "local" but felt like it after a longstanding partnership with McBride)
    Barry McNamee - Cork
    Nathan Boyle - Finn Harps
    Pat McCourt - Finn Harps
    Mark Timlin - Finn Harps

Those are the type of players people in Derry would point to and would be annoyed at from recent times, although frankly we are in no position to compete with Dundalk or Cork and many of those either wouldn't be good enough or have already failed at Derry City so I sympathise with Shiels, probably the only one I'd take issue with would be Daniels (maybe Boyle). I'd of course have loved him to sign McCourt at the time but his reasons for not doing so were perfectly valid.

If he is around next season it will be interesting to see what the team looks like come February.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    All well and good pointing at players who have come and gone, but the underage structure at Derry is about 90% Donegal players. And not even just Inishowen, but as far as Letterkenny, Ramelton and Ballybofey. I've seen and heard of players getting texts from people within Donegal Schoolboys, having a link with Derry City, who have been told not to sign for Finn Harps and go to Derry instead. They don't want to have to deal with international clearance for young players twice a year. I think that's the big issue.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    As Nigel says, the Derry youth teams have been, and absolutely remain disproportionately focussed on Donegal players. Kenny appears to be blaming this on other clubs in Derry. He might want to look a wee bit closer to home.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DCWA View Post
    https://www.derrynow.com/sport/lette...-talent/252295

Kenny Shiels has written an open letter to the youth football fraternity in the city in response to criticism as regards the lack local players.....

It raises some points as regards the impact the new underage structure may have however does not account for the loss of several young local players who had already made the first team but have subsequently left - Boyle, Daniels, Doherty etc. which is were most of the frustration stems from.

Shane McEleney - Larne
    David McDaid - Larne
    Josh Daniels - Glenavon
    Ben Doherty - Glenavon
    Niall Grace - Glenavon
    Ciaron Harkin - Coleraine
    Rory Patterson - Crusaders
    Patrick McClean - Sligo
    Patrick McEleney - Dundalk
    Dean Jarvis - Dundalk
    Michael Duffy - Dundalk
    Aaron Barry - Cork (obviously not "local" but felt like it after a longstanding partnership with McBride)
    Barry McNamee - Cork
    Nathan Boyle - Finn Harps
    Pat McCourt - Finn Harps
    Mark Timlin - Finn Harps

Those are the type of players people in Derry would point to and would be annoyed at from recent times, although frankly we are in no position to compete with Dundalk or Cork and many of those either wouldn't be good enough or have already failed at Derry City so I sympathise with Shiels, probably the only one I'd take issue with would be Daniels (maybe Boyle). I'd of course have loved him to sign McCourt at the time but his reasons for not doing so were perfectly valid.

If he is around next season it will be interesting to see what the team looks like come February.
    That’s some list of players from Derry and interesting to see all the other teams they moved on to, its more like a mass exodus ! However worth noting for Michael Duffy, Derry got a decent transfer for him from Celtic (over £100K) and he didn’t move direct to Dundalk, who in turn had to pay Celtic a substantial fee as he was still their player under contract while on loan at Dundee, the fee was never announced but I think it was over 50k.

Patrick McLean was with Waterford first also I think from that list?
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    That’s some list of players from Derry and interesting to see all the other teams they moved on to, its more like a mass exodus ! However worth noting for Michael Duffy, Derry got a decent transfer for him from Celtic (over £100K) and he didn’t move direct to Dundalk, who in turn had to pay Celtic a substantial fee as he was still their player under contract while on loan at Dundee, the fee was never announced but I think it was over 50k.

Patrick McLean was with Waterford first also I think from that list?
    yeah thats right. didnt realise that Shane McElaney had come home from the USA. is he playin in the NI league long?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    All well and good pointing at players who have come and gone, but the underage structure at Derry is about 90% Donegal players.....I think that's the big issue.
    Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    yeah thats right. didnt realise that Shane McElaney had come home from the USA. is he playin in the NI league long?
    Came back at the start of the year there.
    Paddy McClean was at Waterford before Sligo, and Derry before that.

Shiels probably has a point, but you'd wonder what the club have done to work with the clubs he's giving off about.

The fact that there's been so many departures of local players under his management can hardly help matters either. Some would have left simply but they're not good enough, granted, but it's not as if most of those he's brought in from Britain and beyond have been any better than what we've lost.
    Have you ever won the treble?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    An article about Bray in the latest issue of When Saturday Comes' magazine sums the whole problem up nicely :

"Most clubs pay more to the FAI in fees every year than they receive back in prize money. And the pay of the Association's Chief Executive exceeds the total prize money given to Irish football every year. As a result, new applicants have evaporated and two league places have sat unfilled since 2011-12. For an ambitious non-league club, joining the League of Ireland would mean signing up to financial suicide and institutional neglect".
    THE biggest single issue facing football here. the FAI don't care about our league and are solely interested in feathering their own nest, wallowing in the Ole Ole nonsense and masquerading as football administrators. As long as Delaney's Donkeys ru(I)n the league it will go nowhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    Good craic from Kenny Shiels on why he is the no 1 on youth development

You can listen to the interview on the link below

http://www.offtheball.com/Soccer/Ken...-another-club-
    Actually I think its beyond doubt that Stephen Kenny (whatever other faults he may have) is a master at developing players in this LOI era. Throughout his career he has improved/developed players and most if not all of his teams are far better than the sum of the parts. Shiel's just strikes me as a bulls1t merchant (admittedly occasionally funny, deliberate or not).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Actually I think its beyond doubt that Stephen Kenny (whatever other faults he may have) is a master at developing players in this LOI era. Throughout his career he has improved/developed players and most if not all of his teams are far better than the sum of the parts. Shiel's just strikes me as a bulls1t merchant (admittedly occasionally funny, deliberate or not).
    I'd say the key word is youth development, Kenny is undoubtedly doing a brilliant job in Dundalk at taking players and improving them no end with the odd exception, but he hasn't brought a single youth player through in his 6 years at Dundalk. He's done brilliantly at developing players but it's more moneyball (obviously not a moneyball model but you get the point) than class of 92.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    363 Posts
    Kenny may not have taken a single youth player through at Dundalk to be a first team consistent regular, but he has made the point that players he has gone for have not come from the bigger clubs or rivals.

Hoban came from Mervue at the start, Towell was training with Bluebell, Boyle was with UCD, Massey from Bray, Gannon from Pats squad but not first choice, even O’Donnell was a risk, Benson from UCD, then more recent examples of Hoare and McGrath.

Dundalk have paid fees of course for players like McEleney (twice), Horgan, Kilduff, and prob the most for Duffy, but I think it’s fair to balance out SK has gone for players who were to an extent not the finished articles and in some cases unheard of.

Not too many youth players coming through is a fair point but there have been a good few who did make first team appearances like the two O’Connors, and that lad Cartlon on loan at Galway, unfortunately they were all up against much better players.
    Last edited by oriel; 12/10/2018 at 9:52 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    873 Posts
    The issue of youth development is being addressed at Dundalk with some potential real stars in the U19s. 3 of them in particular available for u17 but have been in the senior squad on some match nights and have had game time in the liikes of the LSC. Historically there has been a poor record of youth development success stories at Dundalk where there was a rift between schoolboy clubs and Dundalk and where players have had something of a breakthrough they'd gone off the rails thinking they've made it to superstar status. We dont want to be stepping on the toes of the leagues youth club in Tallaght and as Rovers know it takes time and significant committment of resources to bring through youth and the return is well down the line. I doubt we will have access to players that will be on Rovers' scale but there are things afoot to be better at bringing players on from youths since before Peak6.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast