Thread: So whats the worst conditions

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts

So whats the worst conditions

you've watched a football match in?

Heading to aberdeen this weekend to watch the Celts at Pittodrie. Im expecting it to be fcuking baltic!!!!

For me in reverse order it is probably

3rd - Cyprus Away WC02 Qlfr - This may be a holiday island renowned for its warm climate, however an evening kick off was not the time to be wearing a jersey, shorts and a pair of flip flops - it was feckin freezing that night!!

2nd - Portugal away Euro96 Qlfr - Rain like you've never seen before. Watching the Portugese fans turning up before the game in their oil skin jackets I was thinking 'feckin eejits'. But there was only one feckin eejit there that night. Yours truly with only a feckin jersey to keep him dry and no change of clothes back at the hotel!!

1st - USA, Boston US Cup 2000 - Rain 10 times as bad as Portugal above. Puddles that came up to your waste and to make matters worse the game was held up for 20 minutes, 10 minutes from the end!! It trook a week to thaw out and dry off from that game!!
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Ireland v Mexico world cup 94,fcuk me it was too hot,plus with all the drink taken I was like a long streak of p1ss when I came out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Portugal 96 in Lisbon. We were on the third tier in the old Stadium of Light, with just jersey. It was really dangerous getting in. Then the wind and rain started and never stopped. To make matters worse,, a young Figo tore us and particularly Gary Kelly apart beating us 3-0. Got back to the hotel to be greeted by gangs of locals taking the ****. A night to forget.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    I remember getting absolutely soaked in Longford a few years ago. That was probably the worst.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    144 Posts
    New Years Day a good while back, we had Derry City at the Cross, there was about 50 of us huddled into the middle of the Shed, freezing gales, lashing rain, pitch barely playable, dull enough 1-1 draw.
    The things we do.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Wrong sport, but I remember being at the Kerry gaelic football final in Tralee in about 1999 or 2000 and it absolutely bucketed down from start to finish - the kind of heavy rain that usually only last a few minutes in Ireland. Definitely the worst conditions I've experienced at a game by far. The league final took place before it and so the pitch was in a state before they even started, and with the rain it was nearly impossible for the players. Seamus Moynihan was still outstanding though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Lisbon '95
    Last edited by Hibs4Ever; 17/01/2005 at 8:44 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Orlando '94......brutal heat.................and a loss........and listening to "mehico,mehico, rah,rah,rah".W@nkers
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    Tranmere at Port Vale, 2002-3 Season. It was just freezing cold and grim weather. It was one of those grey days in the North of England, when there's no colour or light in the sky at all, it was like it was too cold to rain.

Their ground is grim and takes ages to get to from the station... well worth avoiding.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,272 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SAINTS4EVER
    Lisbon '96
    Can't argue with that - incredible stuff!

Anyone remember the mascot at that game - ten-foot tall beer bottle. Yer man fell over and couldn't get back up again for a while, I think! One of the few happy memories from that trip...

Other than all the goals going in in Windsor!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Two extremes....

It must have been 1985-86 New Years Day Galway United-Shamrock Rovers at Terryland, torrential rain, Chick Deasy gets sent off in the first half, Rovers go two up. United come back in the second half with ten men and win 3-2. But the rain was something else.

The other game was in August 2003 at Giants Stadium Metrostars against Kansas City. For some unGodly reason, MLS scheduled the game at noon. On a Wednesday. In August. Worst decision ever. I took the day off anyway and went down there. It was 110 degrees fareignheit, no wind and about 98% humidity. Couldnt have been more than 2-3 thousand in the 78000 stadium. We thought the players would not come out for the second half it was so bad. They must had agreed something because the second half was just a kick-around and everyone taking breaks for water every 5 minutes. Ended 0-0.

Quote Originally Posted by Junior
    1st - USA, Boston US Cup 2000 - Rain 10 times as bad as Portugal above. Puddles that came up to your waste and to make matters worse the game was held up for 20 minutes, 10 minutes from the end!! It trook a week to thaw out and dry off from that game!!
    I remember that game. Didnt the lights go out? And Razov scored for the US and must have been 10 feet offside.
    Last edited by Metrostars; 14/01/2005 at 5:01 PM.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Metrostars
    Two extremes....

It must have been 1985-86 New Years Day Galway United-Shamrock Rovers at Terryland, torrential rain, Chick Deasy gets sent off in the first half, Rovers go two up. United come back in the second half with ten men and win 3-2. But the rain was something else.

The other game was in August 2003 at Giants Stadium Metrostars against Kansas City. For some unGodly reason, MLS scheduled the game at noon. On a Wednesday. In August. Worst decision ever. I took the day off anyway and went down there. It was 110 degrees fareignheit, no wind and about 98% humidity. Couldnt have been more than 2-3 thousand in the 78000 stadium. We thought the players would not come out for the second half it was so bad. They must had agreed something because the second half was just a kick-around and everyone taking breaks for water every 5 minutes. Ended 0-0.

I remember that game. Didnt the lights go out? And Razov scored for the US and must have been 10 feet offside.
    thats the one, think it was Dominic Foley who equalised for us - remember him?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    two words: buckley park
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomo
    Well funny you mention Kilkenny City
    But it was November 1993 and it was bloody freezing. Pitch was barely playable rock hard and it was about -1 during the game right the way through.

Upside was we won 7-1. Downside was we did not score for the next three games and the fourth one we lost 1-2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomo

What are you moaning about, didn't I drive you down to Kilkenny in the RV and made sure you got served in all the pubs along the way.
    Stop moaning.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Worst conditions ever in reverse order:

3. Ireland-Andorra, Lansdowne 2001. Had to sit in the South Terrace while the Irish weather lashed down on us behind the goal. It rained for almost the entire first half, during which you couldn't use an umbrella, we went behind, and then couldn't celebrate our first-half goals, in case the seat turned into a pool of water. It dried out in the second-half, but the enjoyment was ruined. Dreadful.

2. Rovers-Longford, Richmond 2000: Good game - if you excuse the thunder and lightning during most of it. A unique experience.

1. The all-time worst, without a doubt, was:

Rovers-Dundalk, Tolka, Christmas 1996. We didn't see the game, we saw a pitch-long wall of fog instead. Visibility was about 5 yards. Rovers lost 0:2 to 2 first-half goals. Apparantly, Dundalk's first goal was a 40-yard boomerang from out near the touchline off the post, but nobody in the crowd could be sure. How the game was completed at all is still a mystery to me. A thoroughly miserable experience. Appalling.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    About three seasons ago I remember a Bohs against St Pat's game at Dalymount being a particularly brutal night and I brought Mrs O' Banton as well (..and she says that I never take her out!)

I was in the Upper tier in Lisbon in 1995 as well and at the front which of couse was where all the water was collecting, however fortunately a suitable intake of Super Bock insulated me from all conditions, the downside was that it seemed as is the entire Ireland team had followed my plan.
    Last edited by Pat O' Banton; 15/01/2005 at 9:24 AM.
    Where am I now? I'm over here,
    I've got those empty pockets and I can't afford a beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Exclamation Tolka 2001

Our first of three FAI Cup Finals in Tolka Park 2001! The heavens opened and sitting at the end where all those yellow, red and blue seats are I got absolutely saturated. Didn't mind one bit though. Despite been bet one nil by Bohs, it was a truly memorable day and the best atmosphere I've ever witnessed at a town game. Tolka was packed to the rafters, Bohs fans outnumbered 2/1 and 'Stand up if you're Longford Town' echoed for the entire 90 mins around Drumcondra.
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Apprentice
    Tramco, Rathmines 7 sometimes 8 nights a week!
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Elephants!

The worst conditions i ever watched a match in was in lansdowne the year with dillo and co...we were up in the back of the stand malogeon drunk!!!! Had nothing but the finest of pints of guinness for breckfast, dinner and tea that day!!! The Jamican PM had me upside down after the secon goal...had to give him a severe warning- could have spilled some of the drink outa me!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What are you moaning about, didn't I drive you down to Kilkenny in the RV and made sure you got served in all the pubs along the way.

By 'RV' do u mean little gay car?
    illiteracy and alphabet soup hmm?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast