Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 99 of 154 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109149 ... LastLast
Results 1,961 to 1,980 of 3069

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Way too much being made of the penalty imo especially the way the panel on RTE went on and on about it. The way people are going on you would think it was something you would never ever see a pen given for when in reality while it was a harsh one they have been given plenty before and will be given plenty in future. Second goal really did show the lack of experience at that level though no doubt had it been Dundalk going through like that Legia would have fouled on the edge of the box. Won't pretend now that I am upset they lost because I wanted em to but Dundalk gave a great account of themselves and I am sure the disappointment of not making it to Champions League if they don't will soon fade as they head into Europa games they are well able to get a result or two in the group stages too if the draw is kind. Still a night all involved with Dundalk will remember for the rest of their lives I am sure and something for others to aim for.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Sorry to be negative Dundalk fans but where will the Europa league group games be played if you don't turn this around next week?
    We'll be playing our games in the Aviva irrespective of which competition we're in.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I can see why the ref gave the penalty.

From the ref's angle it looked like Boyle fell/dived frontal onto the ball and blocked it strongly with his arm

The tv replay comes from another angle and shows the arm more to the rear

Attached Images Attached Images

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Way too much being made of the penalty imo especially the way the panel on RTE went on and on about it. The way people are going on you would think it was something you would never ever see a pen given for when in reality while it was a harsh one they have been given plenty before and will be given plenty in future.
    I actually think it's great that people have a talking point about the match. The more neutrals that talk about LOI teams being hard done in Europe shows that there is much more awareness of the league and the quality in it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    Way too much being made of the penalty imo especially the way the panel on RTE went on and on about it. The way people are going on you would think it was something you would never ever see a pen given for when in reality while it was a harsh one they have been given plenty before and will be given plenty in future.
    I think those kind of ones are not given far more often than they are given. And any time they are given I would consider it harsh to put it mildly.

Given the context of the game last night, with so few chances and so much at stake it was a massive, massive moment. It's obviously going to be the biggest talking point by a mile.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    I actually think it's great that people have a talking point about the match. The more neutrals that talk about LOI teams being hard done in Europe shows that there is much more awareness of the league and the quality in it.
    I suppose but I was annoyed that RTE spent more time talking about that then about how well Dundalk played or how Stephen O Donnell was the best player on the pitch for long periods against such opposition. It might not work as well I'd just prefer or the actual quality of Dundalk to be emphasised rather than a sob story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Interesting still shots Geysir. He could probably have done with some assistance from his linesman or the guy falsely dressed as an official behind the goals.

Btw... how do you post still shots?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    It looked dubious from where I was sitting and watched it over and over when I got back but how can the ball hitting your elbow which is behind you as you are falling be considered as a deliberate handball. Baffling stuff.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Interesting still shots Geysir. He could probably have done with some assistance from his linesman or the guy falsely dressed as an official behind the goals.

The angle says a lot, however the ref saw the motion of the player, which shows he clearly doesn't dive forward with his arm oustretched, so I'd ignore the first image. It is more than deceiving, but not if you see it in real time.

He hesistated, I made the assumption that the dumbo behind the goals who never speaks, spoke to him (and so did my mate beside m) and then he did it. Do they have direct communication with the ref?

I think you made a fair point though, when a game of so few chances and he gives it its extremely harsh and unfair. I never really viewed it that way. If Legia were 10 shots to 1 on goal then you say fair enough they would have scored anyway. But they didn't really look like that all through the game even when they started to take control.

It must be very frustrating for kenny, rewatching it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jinxy lilywhite View Post
    It looked dubious from where I was sitting and watched it over and over when I got back but how can the ball hitting your elbow which is behind you as you are falling be considered as a deliberate handball. Baffling stuff.
    It's a shot at goal that was blocked by a hand. Still shots and slow-mo replays don't change anything. Ref made the call and I can guarantee you every single Dundalk fan would have screamed for a penalty had the teams been switched. It can't be that baffling to see it being awarded

On the game, Dundalk played well, particularly early on. They were ragged after the goal but composes themselves at might have sneaked an equaliser. They just got punished for 2 errors which happens when clubs make a step up in class.

Dundalk will definitely earn points in the Europa League. I'm fairly sure of that
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    For these type of incidents, time out video reffing would come in handy. No amount of live official eyes would or could come to a consensus. It looked frontal contact from where the ref was.

It's complicated, but maybe some else will explain all you have to is right click the graphic and say out loud "Go into my reply".

The stills have been grabbed from rte player highlights which I can watch courtesy of smartdns.
    I save the stills as lower quality jpg files onto computer desktop (anywhere will do)

In your message reply window, select go advanced
    scroll down to attachments, select manage attachments.

in the new manage attachment window, top right hand corner, select add files
    from there you go and select the graphic from your location
    once thats done you select open
    select upload files

then another little window opens
    tick the graphic you want to add into the reply

select Insert Online and if bob's your uncle, you will see the thumbnail in the body of the reply.

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    Sorry to be negative Dundalk fans but where will the Europa league group games be played if you don't turn this around next week?

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Dundalk will definitely earn points in the Europa League. I'm fairly sure of that
    Europa League only comes on the horizon in the unlikely event that we don't stuff Legia by two goals or more next week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    I save the stills as lower quality jpg files onto computer desktop
    I fell at the first fence but I think I'll be okay with the rest! How do you do this bit? Say I have the video paused where I want it, how do I save the image?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    We'll be playing our games in the Aviva irrespective of which competition we're in.
    I don't think this is correct, as nothing has been confirmed yet, however I would expect the stadium to be Tallaght, if as expected it is the EL group.

One thing with the nomination of a ground that you can't change it for one big match I think, almost sure you need to play all 3 games in the same stadium. There would be very few EL games that would fill Aviva, Man U obviously, after that you wouldn't get close to last nights crowd, unless Celtic drop out.

On the match itself, very composed display by Dundalk, at half time the thinking was we might get a result from this, the peno was a tough call, will need to have another look, but if it was at the other end????? No excuse though for switching off with the last kick of the match.

Overall I thought Dundalk gave a very decent account of themselves, the passing improved a lot and very few balls were given away, an important part of the match at this level, in the end Legia simply took their chances, still think we could have got something but 2-0 was a harsh scoreline, that's for sure.
    Last edited by oriel; 18/08/2016 at 2:18 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Jaysus.

Dundalk v Dinamo Tractorgrad would be a bit grim in the aviva.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    I fell at the first fence but I think I'll be okay with the rest! How do you do this bit? Say I have the video paused where I want it, how do I save the image?
    snipping tool or screenshot.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I use MacOS, an integrated application aptly named Grab, it grabs a screenshot and also can select sections of the screen to grab.
    If you use Windows OS, look for a screenshot utility application that has some flexibility or something else that does the job.

22. Thanks From:

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    I don't think this is correct, as nothing has been confirmed yet, however I would expect the stadium to be Tallaght, if as expected it is the EL group.
    For the play off round and CL groups a category 4 stadium is required and for the EL groups a category 4 stadium is also required. Tallaght didn't reach category 4 status for the play off so it stands to reason it won't if it is required for the EL groups. It was examined as a possibility for the play off but the amount of work and cost of upgrading it was too much. Now maybe we'd get special dispensation to use it but I can't see it.

But sure this is all moot anyway as we shall sweep Legia aside next Tuesday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    But didn't Rovers use Tallaght? I know they did work on it to get up to scratch is it just a matter of Dundalk not wanting to do the work on a ground they won't be using for league games too? Which would be fair enough but some EL games in Aviva would be awful.