Page 91 of 154 FirstFirst ... 41818990919293101141 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,820 of 3069

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Encouraging at least that Legia aren't in blistering form. One win, one loss and three draws from their 5 league games.

On the other hand will Dundalk be able to match the level they hit in the last 60 minutes against BATE is a big question.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    The key thing is to keep it tight and compete. We are looking at maybe 20k+ non-LOI spectators that need to be impressed enough with the standard of football on show to decide to take in some live LOI matches.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Just hope Dundalk don't bottle it now and go 2-0 down early on. Could be their equivalent of Rovers' RDS debut.
    Bottle it?? Sorry, stu but if they do go a couple of goals down early on it won't be because they bottled it. Bottling is what happens when you're the better team who's supposed to win but you don't because you can't handle the expectancy/pressure.

This isn't aimed at you at all stu, but I'm getting the impression that a lot of the wider public (mainly ppl who don't follow LOI) are getting really carried with Dundalk's chances of progression. Don't get me wrong, I hope to God they get a result. I'll be there in the South stand lower roaring them on whatever happens on Wed, but we shouldn't get ahead of ourselves. It's an enormous ask to beat another team over 2 legs who will have more quality and experience.

Even if they play the game of their lives (again) there's every chance they could lose, especially if Finn and McEleney aren't fully recovered. It would be a sickener though because it will just give more fuel to the barstoolers that LOI isn't worth their time.

I think it's the duty of us LOI folks to temper expectation amongst the crowd on Wed. A lot of ppl who show up may never have seen a LOI side before and will be expecting Dundalk to be at the level they usually see on TV.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Exactly we could replay the bate game another 9 times and possible 8 of those BATE would come out on top or the 1st leg ad we'd of lost by 2 or more.
    One of the key reasons we won the tie was that bate showed us no respect in the 2nd leg. They thought the job was done and when they needed to up it they couldn't as we were on a roll.

The key is preparation to give is the best opportunity. I believe the king will provide that and ensure we keep mistakes to a minimum and importantly that when Legia make a mistake or a lapse in concentration that we are able to capitalize.

Clean sheet for me is key. Need to avoid conceding the away goal even more so than scoring

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Is Gartland going to be back in time for the second leg?

Ya those last two posts make sense, everything conspired for Dundalk over both legs, but especially the goal just before half time and the subsequent second half, its fair to say that its an even bigger task. But all you can hope for regardless of the overall result, is that they give a good account of themselves, and hold their own in the home leg and therefore keeping the tie alive going to the second game. I think its most more important that those who go to watch the game, don't see a trouncing, whatever happens in the second leg. Out of sight more out of mind and all that.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 15/08/2016 at 1:17 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Philosophizer View Post
    Bottle it?? Sorry, stu but if they do go a couple of goals down early on it won't be because they bottled it. Bottling is what happens when you're the better team who's supposed to win but you don't because you can't handle the expectancy/pressure.
    Legia are big favourites for sure. But I think it's arguably fair to say that Dundalk would be bottling it if they let the occasion get to them and as a result went 2-0 down within ten minutes. I think there's a big difference between that and a big performance where they end up losing 2-0.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I think it's arguably fair to say that Dundalk would be bottling it if they let the occasion get to them and as a result went 2-0 down within ten minutes. I think there's a big difference between that and a big performance where they end up losing 2-0.
    It all comes down to each person's own definition of "bottle" I suppose. I expect Legia will be on top for most of the match, just like BATE were in Belarus and in the 1st half in Dublin, so if Dundalk are a couple of goals down early on I think it's more likely to be that they will have been opened up by higher quality players rather than them getting stage-fright. But the stage-fright is also a possibility I guess.

Anyway, back my main point, I just know there will be some Sky Sports heads in the Aviva whining, criticising and scoffing every time a Dundalk player misplaces a pass or makes a mistake (which certainly will happen at some stage). There was a few of them near me in Tallaght. We should try to persuade these types to get behind the players and offer encouragement even if Dundalk are not playing well. It would be really terrible if newly-acquired Dundalk supporters gave up on the team if they have a poor opening half an hour and go a couple of goals down.
    Last edited by Philosophizer; 15/08/2016 at 2:08 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Is Gartland going to be back in time for the second leg?

good news
    Big boost for Dundalk ahead of Wednesday's game with Legia Warsaw with manager Stephen Kenny declaring Brian Gartland fit and ready to play
    https://twitter.com/jamesdundalk/sta...66254604840960

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GCdfc View Post
    We are looking at maybe 20k+ non-LOI spectators that need to be impressed enough with the standard of football on show to decide to take in some live LOI matches.
    I honestly couldn't care less how we play if we manage to get into the CL group stages. This game isn't about entertaining the non LoI fans it's about beating Legia.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I'd like to build up some sort new support along the way as it would help the club in the future. For the people who normally sit on the barstools it would require a decent performance.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Yossarian is right. Wed is about getting a result. And besides, success is the best way of attracting supporters anyway. Always has been, always will be.

If Dundalk get battered for 180 mins and manage to scrape over the line they'll gain many more new supporters than they would in defeat, no matter how well they played.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Your first point, didn't really work for Ireland under trap in the first few years when he was doing a half decent job playing terrible boring football. People went away in their droves.

Your second point is correct, but even that can only last so long before people get bored of that too. All that matters for Dundalk is to get through, and for a lot of people who will be going on Wednesday. But there is a sizeable amount who will want entertainment too - thats not a concern of Dundalks - and will be put off by a lack of it.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I'd like to build up some sort new support along the way as it would help the club in the future. For the people who normally sit on the barstools it would require a decent performance.
    Success builds support and the best way to do that is to win this tie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,360 Posts
    9 seats available on Ticketmaster between four blocks 501, 502, 510, and 514.

EDIT: Block 516 gone on sale.
    Last edited by nigel-harps1954; 15/08/2016 at 4:08 PM.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
    Success builds support and the best way to do that is to win this tie.
    So why is the attendance at Oriel down? Apart from the u-12's who got free season tickets last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    So why is the attendance at Oriel down? Apart from the u-12's who got free season tickets last year.
    I think there is a degree of complacency with regard to our home attendances. Some people seem to think that we would win the league easily this season. I agree with your point that attractive football may entice some new fans but if we don't go through there won't be any significant increase in our support. However if we manage to get into the group stages of the CL then the event junkies of the Irish sporting public will come out to watch us but only in the CL games.
    I disagree with your other point that we need to impress non LoI fans with a certain type of performance. I think winning this tie should be enough of an impression for us to make.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    516 Posts
    Managed to talk 3 others in to coming along to the match with me, looking forward to this, did not expect a crowd of this magnitude either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Got a few of the last seats going in block 502. This could be very near a sellout.

I'm bringing a non LOI fan and his mate too.
    You've got no fans.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    184 Posts
    Same here. Bringing a non LOI fan and might even convince one or two others before Wed.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I'm buzzing now. After initially thinking these Polish lot would do it comfortably after the draw, their current form and lack of goals in the side really do fill me with serious hope. Their entire goal-scoring threat is basically centred around their Hungarian striker Nikolics who isn't particularly fast or anything other than a bit of a poacher (he's bagged 4 in 4 so far and he's got a hell of a record in his career, mind) . It's on.