Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 41 of 154 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast

Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    No if they beat bate they are into the group stages via the champiojs route.
    Not quite unfortunately. If we beat BATE we're into the Champions League play off round. If we lose its the Europa League play off round.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    And if they lose they are into the playoff

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya sorry i read something on rte.ie thayt confused me its still there actually. The champions route have a final playoff from the ten winners.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Ya sorry i read something on rte.ie thayt confused me its still there actually. The champions route have a final playoff from the ten winners.
    Never trust RTE when it comes to news relevant to LoI clubs!!

5. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya they said that if they win they are in the group stages that didnt sound right to me as i thought back to rovers so i went on the Wikipedia sight and the way i read it was the winners go through and dont have a 4th round which i thiught was a bery fair way of ensuring 10 champions to go through i just never looked at the table below :

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    To give 3 sloppy goals away, miss a penalty and still go through well we've rarely done it the easy way! Could have and probably should have had 2 wins. No pressure for BATE so helps a bit. Depending on EL Play-Off draw if thats where we end up and its a big prize again! Lots of very tired people, with both sore voices and heads in Iceland....

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    Absolutely delighted for dundalk. Definitely could've made it easier for yourselves tonight, think hanging on at the end could've been avoided. But bringing Benson on at half time really changed the game. Great to have the cushion of a Europa league play off but hopefully ye can have a good go off BATE now. Very impressive away support there tonight also very vocal, unlike the home fans.

Fingers crossed another two, or at least one of us or pats can get through tomorrow. Feeling very confident about us so here's hoping we can deliver. Tickets are selling fast by the sounds of it so should be a very healthy crowd at it and the same in Inchicore from what I've heard

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Are these really the champions ot iceland? I thought the Icelandics could play i said to the3 lads before the euros iceland football is decent and so is the national team. I was very wrong
    Hang on... hang on.

Are you saying you talked up Icelandic football without actually being at a game to judge for yourself?

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    880 Posts
    Took geysir at his word! Not intending to sound like gloating but if that is the best Icelandic domestic football offer there is no way that it superior to the top 4 in LoI currently. We made heavy weather of it but if we had been on form there wouldnt have been the nervy end!

12. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    To be fair, they did what few LOI teams can do and scored three times against Dundalk, so they're at least as good as Longford. Possibly even better.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Took geysir at his word! Not intending to sound like gloating but if that is the best Icelandic domestic football offer there is no way that it superior to the top 4 in LoI currently. We made heavy weather of it but if we had been on form there wouldnt have been the nervy end!
    KR were no great side last year either. They were a side that we should have put out, and on this years performances in Europe, we would. There's no reason to fear these guys whatsoever.

Anyway, it's rare that I'm delighted at a Dundalk result, but buzzing now from that result.

Hopefully us and Pats can do the same. I think Pats obvious problem is their defence. They'll probably concede which will make it difficult. It also won't be easy for us, but we do have the perceived easier tie (albeit they do have a budget of €25m) and a close to capacity Turner Cross. It'll be an interesting night.
    Last edited by Pablo Escobar; 21/07/2016 at 5:47 AM.
    [/B][I]P.Esc.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    You might be right, he scored about 4 goals against us in a week, as we played Sligo in our next game.
    Scored once in each game v City for UCD and Sligo in successive league games.
    ...Schwanholz, Herisau: a little bit of heaven...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ger121 View Post
    I always think the target is 1 point minimum. Below that is a bad year and above that is a good year. 2014 was a bumper score, yet no team got past 2 rounds. This season is an excellent one so far results/progress wise, yet the score is 1.250. Still min 6 games (maybe 8-10+) to go so that total could go up.

Am I right in thinking we've matched or exceeded the amount we are due to lose this year or was that 1.500?
    1.500 is what we are losing, 1.250 is what we're up to so far. Two more draws, or a single win will bring us up to that level.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    No, he scored twice for us against Cork (though not three as I said). That was his last game for us, so I presume Cork v Sligo was his next fixture.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Donie Forde View Post
    Scored once in each game v City for UCD and Sligo in successive league games.
    Is that all? I reallly thought he'd scored more than that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Fairplay to Dundalk.

Unfortunately for us, it likely means another moved fixture. We've been hit very badly with scheduling. We play Wexford tomorrow, 49 days after our last home match.
    Last edited by gufcfan; 21/07/2016 at 8:13 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    Absolutely delighted for dundalk. Definitely could've made it easier for yourselves tonight, think hanging on at the end could've been avoided. But bringing Benson on at half time really changed the game. Great to have the cushion of a Europa league play off but hopefully ye can have a good go off BATE now. Very impressive away support there tonight also very vocal, unlike the home fans.

Fingers crossed another two, or at least one of us or pats can get through tomorrow. Feeling very confident about us so here's hoping we can deliver. Tickets are selling fast by the sounds of it so should be a very healthy crowd at it and the same in Inchicore from what I've heard
    Expecting close to 5,000 at the Cross tonite, don't forget €20 for adults is expensive enough when you consider that it is only a Europe competition which can be difficult at times to attract fans who prefer the domestic league campaign.

St. Pats on the other hand can only expect around 2,500 max as unlike Turners Cross is not an all seated ground, Richmond has a Main Stand seating and open seating behind one goal.

Would they ever consider installing temporary bucket seats if they progressed to the next round?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    With €1.2m now, is there any plans to upgrade Oriel to allow it host the next rounds rather than move to Tallaght?

Obviously too late for this year (!), but you'd imagine they'll have European campaigns the next couple of seasons anyway. Daft to have to move the games completely out of the town and county.

The FH ground looked a nice tidy one which put most of the LoI grounds to shame.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    With €1.2m now, is there any plans to upgrade Oriel to allow it host the next rounds rather than move to Tallaght?
    It's pointless putting any money into Oriel with the ownership issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Thought that'd be a good idea myself, but possible issues with the ownership still, no?

Regarding prices, I think clubs generally tend to stick a fiver (or more) onto the price of European tickets. What are Pats and Dundalk charging, €20?