Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John O’Shea

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

John O’Shea

Watched JOS last night for United, and for the first time he looked like a half-decent centre half. In the past he has done a job as a spot-gap full back, but Ferguson hasn't trusted him at CH in the league or any big match. Brian Kerr tried him there against Switzerland in Basle and he was a disaster. Fergie spoke of JOS bulking up a little and that he was rearing to go. Well last night he looked stronger, a lot more assured, reasonably dominant in the air, even against Drogba (except one notable occasion). But the important thing is the Fergie trusted him at CH and in my opinion he passed the test with flying colours. This can only be good for the international team as Kenny can't go on forever.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The problem that JOS has is that he has never really nailed down a position. Yes, he decent last night at centre half but hes obviously not going to get in the team ahead of Rio or Silvestre for that matter. I've heard people on this site mention him as apossible midfielder yet I don't see this happening. JOS needs to try and make a position his own, maybe centre half, and then try and nail that - if that means moving away from United, so be it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that there is a position there beside Ferdinand for Silvestre O Shea and Brown to fight over. Obviously Silvestre is in pole position but I think that O Shea has all the attributes to be a good centre half but needs to keep his concentration up. that seems to let him down time and time again. That is why he play left back for us, as if you make a mistake there it does not have the same effect and he can use his skills going forward too. But Silvestre is by no means a certainty in the medium term.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I didn't see the game so can't comment. But I always think it's unfair to judge JOS as a CB on his performance in Basle. Nearly everybody was crap that day.

The problem is he needs to hold down a regular position so he can continue to learn. A move away from MUFC in due course might be the best option. Looking at him you'd think CB would be his best position & I'm glad to hear he did well last night.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy
    Watched JOS last night for United, and for the first time he looked like a half-decent centre half. .
    Yip, have to agree had a very good game, he won most headers(whats going on) and passed the ball well, seems to have added a bit of agression to his game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    Er . . . the one bit that sticks in my mind last night was him getting turned inside out, ending up on his ass and getting rescued by Heinze who cleared off the line. I don't think I'd want him CB for Ireland.
    Well said Tuff, thought reading previous posts I was watching a different game last night. Rating 6/10 and that's being kind.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superhoops
    Well said Tuff, thought reading previous posts I was watching a different game last night. Rating 6/10 and that's being kind.
    I think he's just set so low standard's for himself...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuff Paddy
    Er . . . the one bit that sticks in my mind last night was him getting turned inside out, ending up on his ass and getting rescued by Heinze who cleared off the line. I don't think I'd want him CB for Ireland.
    Yes one incident...

I thought he was impressive, don't forget he originally broke into the Man U team as a centre half and it was his impressive performances there that sealed his place as a first teamer. Silvestre imo is over rated so if he can perform well when asked there's a place to be had in that team.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I think he would benefit from watching Heinze and then trying to play like him! O'Shea doesn't have a defender's mentality. Compare him with John Terry or Tony Adams. He's not nearly aggressive enough. In my view he's not a defender.
    When he broke into the United team they were strolling to the title. I could have played full-back on that team and looked good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    He's playing central midfield for United against Boro today and scored a nice goal, 1-0.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He was excellent, imo, and his goal was a superb finish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    He was excellent, imo, and his goal was a superb finish.
    Aye, great game. While Miller may be the better technically than O'Shea, John showed today that there's no substitute for work rate. Miller's game is being so badly effected by confidence. The difference between him when he came on today and him against Anderlecht is enormous. O'Shea really looked confident today and the players sense that meaning he gets more of the ball. One of the best performances by him in a long time.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Ive been really impressed with John O'Shea of late. When Heinze arrived, I was worried that O'Shea would get very little football. However, he has still got plenty of games and seems to have matured as a player this season. He set himself high standards in his first season, but I think he is a more all-round player now, as he proved today. Great performance and a well taken goal by him. He seems to have improved his upper-body strength and has obviously reacted to Ferguson's demand for extra aggression. Rather than affecting his development, I think the fact that he has played in a range of positions has helped him develop into a better, more versatile player. In addition, I believe that his overall presence on the field has grown. He talks more to the players around him and seems more confident of his own role at the club. This is something which comes with age. Lets just hope that Liam Miller makes similar strides at the club.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I think confidence sums up O'Shea. Most Irish players seem to be big confidence players, even Duffer. I've never noticed Reid been affected by it though.

I agree about the aggression comment. He lost the ball with 3 players around him, United were 3-0 up and 2 minutes to play but that didn't stop him running his arse off trying to get the ball back. I've never really rated O'Shea but today he has really made me think twice.

Hopefully now that he's full of that priceless stuff Fergie will give him a game or two at centre half (the only position I can see him at long term).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I've never really rated O'Shea but today he has really made me think twice.

I have been a bit like that about him also, but last night I thought he had a very good game, took his goal well, and was getting right stuck in.
    Its crazy to see people be what society wants them to be but not me.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I reckon we'd be better off playing O'Shea in midfield and Kilbane left back as O'Shea is a better passer and Kilbane is better defensively.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    I reckon we'd be better off playing O'Shea in midfield and Kilbane left back as O'Shea is a better passer and Kilbane is better defensively.
    I would like to see him tried out as a striker. He can head and can shoot. He has a presence in the opposing box for free kicks and corners. If nothing else he may give us an option if we needed a big guy up front.
    Honest! I am not a secret Tim nor a closet Sham - I really am a Seagull.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I never had any major doubts about Josh. When he first came on the scene at Man Utd he looked the business. After a season he went downhill alright but that kind of blip has to be confidence or something like that.

I seen him play and he just kept it very simple but was very effective. He just needs one position and I reckon he will be right.

Good to see him score as well

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by carnstien
    I think Kilbane is playing too well for both Everton & Ireland at the moment to be considered as a defender.

If we were to use a 3-4-1-2 he'd be ideal for the LHS role with Duff being given a license to just get on the ball wherever he wants, but that's a real long shot!

I've always rated O'Shea as a footballer. I thought people have been overly harsh about his performances at left-back for Ireland, although I have recently conceded that he gives the ball away too much from this position. I was about 5 rows up from the touchline at the Croatia game and you could see that he just isn't comfortable passing with his left foot in tight situations. His defending has been decent though.

At the same game Finnan looked class to me. If Carr is defintely going to miss Israel, I'd like to see O'Shea deputise at right-back (where he played really well away to Poland) with Finnan playing left-back, Reid RHM.

thecorner
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    . While Miller may be the better technically than O'Shea,
    miller looks like hes not even related to a footballer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast