Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top 10 Most hated footballers with Irish fans!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts

Top 10 Most hated footballers with Irish fans!

http://www.balls.ie/football/in-ligh...ll-fans/328983

Saw this on Facebook and got me thinking that this would be a fun one to discuss amongst this group!

Henry the obvious one but I'm sure there's more out there and far better than the list that balls came up with! With little time to really think of it, I really really hated Toni Polster for a long time...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    When I read the title I thought it was a list of our own players that are regularly vilified. I wouldn't care too much (one way or the other) about the guys on that list there, the Israeli goalkeeper probably stands out alright. For purely heartbreaking footballing reasons I'd probably have Kieft and even Alba in there. I can't really remember Hakan Yakin being a cheat, just a good player that gave us the runaround a few times. Luc Nilis did a lot of damage to us in that playoff in the 90's also.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 30/03/2016 at 7:38 AM.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    The first player I hated in relation was Davor Suker for that last minute goal, but I was 9 so I like to think I've gotten over it.

The first I hated for duplicitous reasons was whoever got away with that throw-in that led to Nilis' goal in the second leg of that play-off. I can't even remember who it was now, but I remember getting given out to for cursing at the TV.

Edit: Man, so much time has passed I'm mixing up things. Suker's was 99 right?
    Last edited by NeverFeltBetter; 30/03/2016 at 9:12 AM.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    What about those two Austrian p++ks from 1996?
    I don't have a lot of love for them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    I wouldn't really hate anyone who scored against us, Suker, Polster, Schillaci etc, they were just playing the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of theirs, but I wouldn't hate them for it.
    However anyone who cheated against us is fair game. Dudu Awat and Henry are the prime candidates
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

6. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya Toni Polster pops up and scores and always didnt seem to have many chnaces but he popped up. Dodo A-**** is the next big one for me. Henry with his smug face.

Schillachi the dirty greasy Italian. But there were a couple of turks in that too. Maybe suker for that goal but hate in a more admiration probably. Though the croats hate him too, so maybe i hate him as well!"

Edit:I didnt read the first replies, and came up with those players. Which is kinda telling as now i read everyone elses and i can see the same names popping up.

There was a midfielder for Belgium I didnt like either at the time. Heartbreak can sometimes lead to hatred :P

And love and hate are two sides of the one coin that sits in SVDs pocket. So now he could be the first person to put an Irish player at the top of the list.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 30/03/2016 at 10:28 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Not a player... but the yellow capped douchebag

9. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Not a player... but the yellow capped douchebag
    He's been called much worse.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Dudu Aoate was the first name that came to mind. Everyone else is a footnote. Henry doesn't even come close to him for me.

Maybe that Macedonian who so theatrically dived after Jason McAteer gently brushed his studs against his chest...

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    And love and hate are two sides of the one coin that sits in SVDs pocket. So now he could be the first person to put an Irish player at the top of the list.
    Lost me there Paul. You talking about Whelan Dealin'? If anyone did put him on here, I'd be pretty upset as you'd understand.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

13. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I wouldn't really hate anyone who scored against us, Suker, Polster, Schillaci etc, they were just playing the game. Don't get me wrong, I'm no fan of theirs, but I wouldn't hate them for it.
    However anyone who cheated against us is fair game. Dudu Awat and Henry are the prime candidates
    Seconded on all this.

Fairly silly to include a player on a list just because they played well against us.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Fairly silly to include a player on a list just because they played well against us.
    You do realise this is a football forum - can you leave rationale at the door please?

For me its the two Jan's in Poznan in 91 - Furtok and Urban - although I never really forgave Packie either - we could have really done well in Sweden.

16. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I'm including anyone who shouted "hopp schwiiz" Basel 2003

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    For me its the two Jan's in Poznan in 91 - Furtok and Urban - although I never really forgave Packie either - we could have really done well in Sweden.
    If you're going to hate somebody for that campaign, it has to be Ray Houghton and his terrible miss at Wembley. That guy is lucky he has plenty of good will banked!

That Poland match was a strange one. Coming back to draw 3-3 meant they were still in contention going into the final round of fixtures, so it suited us in a way that they had something to play for against England. If we had held on to our 3-1 lead maybe England would have went there and won as well. The Houghton miss bothers me much more, winning at Wembley would have been amazing and realistically almost guaranteed qualification.

19. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    You know, i think i mentioned it on here before, but i always got annoyed by houghton when he was playing, i dont remember euro 88 properly, and 94 aside I have always had it that he ruined chances for us or made stupid mistakes. Revisionism through seeing and reading various accounts have me somewhat confused, but the example you gave has just reminded me why!! There are other examples too but i think i have mentally blocked them out. I remember Belgium, and thinking about fcuken time he did something right! I am pretty sure my brother and I were of the same opinion and his memory is better than mine on these things so I might ask him for more examples
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    He mucked in with at least one important home goal in WC90 qualification. Hungary at home I think.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Dudu Aoate was the first name that came to mind. Everyone else is a footnote. Henry doesn't even come close to him for me.

Maybe that Macedonian who so theatrically dived after Jason McAteer gently brushed his studs against his chest...

Lost me there Paul. You talking about Whelan Dealin'? If anyone did put him on here, I'd be pretty upset as you'd understand.
    Likewise, that glk was bloody annoying from start to finish, and i must be in a minority but i dont actually hate Henry, a lot of footballers would have done the same....

Also agree with Houghton on here, will never forget that chance against England, I think he could have at least got a save from it...... ......dont hate him for it though

Bonner was dropping everything on his last campaign as well.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He mucked in with at least one important home goal in WC90 qualification. Hungary at home I think.
    think he got 1 of the 3 against the north at home. cascarino and McGrath got the 2 v hungary in 89.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Henry is a class act, it's not as if he took off his shirt and did a lap of honour. Apart from that moronic clown of a manager Domenech, the French were decent enough.

I don't get these negative memories about Ray Houghton etc.
    Once you're heart has survived a Mick Martin cross field pass or a Mick Martin own goal, you can pretty much give a pass to any indiscretion by an Irish player (saipan exception applies).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    There are other examples too but i think i have mentally blocked them out.
    He had a one-on-one against Egypt in the World Cup. The keeper closed in him down quickly and made a good save. It wasn't a terrible miss or anything but chances were tough to come by the same day so it was one of the better ones. He hit the inside of the post when we beat Portugal 1-0, probably should have scored but a bit unlucky.

Actually, speaking of Houghton, himself and Alan McLoughlin were on an Off The Ball special from Lansdowne last night in the lead up to the match. I heard a small bit of it and they were discussing McLoughlin's goal up in Windsor Park. It was actually Houghton that was brought off for McLoughlin and they were having a little bit of a laugh about it, "just as well they brought you off Ray", kind of a thing. Houghton said that Jack Charlton actually apologised to him after saying that he shouldn't have taken him off, even allowing for the fact that he was proved right to bring McLoughlin on. I couldn't help feeling it sounded kind of petty, like his ego couldn't handle being the guy that was subbed or something. It also seems highly unlikely that Jack would apologise for anything, let alone something where he was completely vindicated! Anybody else hear it?
    Last edited by DeLorean; 30/03/2016 at 2:53 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    If events transpired differently against Bosnia in the second leg, then Emir Spahic would be a shoo-in.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast