Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alan Quinn

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Alan Quinn

Watched the Sheffield Utd v Villa clash on Saturday. Alan Quinn had a fantastic game. The guy has made great progress since joining Neil Warnock's team. If he keeps playing like that he could end up in the premiership. Another interesting player was Dubliner Derek Geary, who played well at right full. He was also at Shef Wed with Quinn and then joined Stockport.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Did Geary go off injured? I flicked over to the Leinster vs Bath game and then noticed that he wasn't playing anymore.

As I said on another thread this morning Quinn always impresses me.

He's busy, skilfull, can run with the ball, can shoot, can pass and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

When I saw him at The Valley in June Quinn constantly "added value" in possession whereas Kinsella and Holland merely gave unproductive wall passes EVERY time. I know it's important to keep the ball but at times Kinsella took the p1ss with the lack of ambition in his passing.

To use a rugby analogy, when Quinn gets the ball he tries to "take it over the gain line".

I think he's well worth a place in the squad and I think he's more suited to international football than Miller (as Eirebhoy also pointed out eralier I think).

He looked a lot better than established PL players like Hendry and I think he'd easily hold his own in a higher league.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Did Quinn play in the Holland friendly last year?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Did Quinn play in the Holland friendly last year?
    Yeah, played full match and played well.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Thanks. I was away for that game and still haven't seen Robbie's goal!

Just shows that Quinn is more than up for it. Better than Kavanagh do you think?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Geary didn't reappear due to injury according to the BBC. I agree with you about Quinn, what impressed me was his energy and passing ability. He moved the ball really quickly and accuratily and was always there for a return pass. He is tigerish in the tackle also. Not sure exactly what age he is but he starting to look like he real deal.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88
    Thanks. I was away for that game and still haven't seen Robbie's goal!

Just shows that Quinn is more than up for it. Better than Kavanagh do you think?
    I have Robbie's goal on the PC if you have any webspace.

Kavanagh is definitely ahead of Quinn for the central midfield role but Quinn is someone I'd like to have on the bench if we're drawing 0-0 with 20 minutes to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    I have Robbie's goal on the PC if you have any webspace.

Kavanagh is definitely ahead of Quinn for the central midfield role but Quinn is someone I'd like to have on the bench if we're drawing 0-0 with 20 minutes to go.
    I reckon after the next world cup Kavanagh, Cunningham, Roy Keane and possibly Holland will all retire, opening up 3 spots in midfield in the squad (probably Miller, Flood and Quinn all solidifying squad status) and one in defence (Dunne on current form)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Glenn Whelan is a holding midfielder isn't he? Hopefully he does well at a higher standard as we need someone for that position after the world cup.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Alan Quinn, when at Wednesday, was supposedly on his way to Spurs 4 or 5 years ago for 2 million, nothing ever came of it, he's about 25, 26 now...still time for him, but I don't see it...did Bolton loanee Joey O'Brien play for Wednesday or was he cup-tied???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SaucyJack
    did Bolton loanee Joey O'Brien play for Wednesday or was he cup-tied???
    Yeah, he scored.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy
    Yeah, he scored.
    Wasn't a cup game, just a normal League One game, Glen Whelan played too,
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 10/01/2005 at 3:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979
    Wasn't a cup game, just a normal League One game
    ahh, didn't know that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan Quinn is a very promising player. He really puts himself about in midfield. His enthusiasm is infectious. He's a little bit like Mark Kinsella in stature. Interestingly, Kinsella was in his late 20s when he emerged as an international-class player. The same will probably be the case with Quinn.
    On another note, the Sheffield Wednesday pair of Glenn Whelan and Joey O'Brien have really impressed of late. Think that goal was O'Brien's 2nd or 3rd goal since he joined the club on loan. He's only 19 and has made a huge impression at the club. With Bolton's midfield ageng, I'd expect Sam Allardyce to look towards Joey O'Brien in the near future.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Kinsella never was an international class player!!!!! just a stop gap measure. theres no way you can call him international class when u look at who the rest of the decent european sides have in midfield

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Alan Quinn is now 25. He looked a fantastic talent and was just about Wednesday’s best player when they were still in the Premier League. I remember the Spurs rumour, however it seems he has suffered the same fate as Kavanagh and his loyalty to Sheffield Wednesday when they were in freefall saw him playing his football in Div 2. Fortunately, unlike Kavanagh he’s still got plenty of time to make a further impact at the highest level. I’m sure he also had a fair amount of injury problems. The move to central midfield at Sheff Utd seems to have done him a world of good and he looked lively in the match on Saturday.

Hopefully Sheffield United will get promoted and our back up goalkeeper will be playing Premier League Football, maybe Geary will be good enough (sure he was playing left back, not right and that he usually plays on the left) and Quinn will be able to show what he’s got. My only concern is that he might be another Healy/Miller who performs in one off games or friendlies at the highest level, but can’t consistently reach those same levels.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livehead1
    Kinsella never was an international class player!!!!! just a stop gap measure. theres no way you can call him international class when u look at who the rest of the decent european sides have in midfield
    That's your opinion. Between 1998 and 2002, Kinsella was a very good central midfielder for Ireland. At a time when countries like Italy and Germany were struggling to produce genuinely world class midfielders, Kinsella was as good as much of what was around. In September 2000, Louis Van Gaal said that Kinsella was one of the best midfielders in Europe. While this may be a slight exaggeration, there is more reason for me to believe Van Gaal as opposed to "livehead1". I seem to recall Kinsella forming a formidable midfield partnership with Roy Keane and they outplayed the likes of Yugoslavia, Croatia and other "international-class" nations at Lansdowne. In 2002, Kinsella was part of an Irish team that had 60% possession against the Germans. He did very well in the World Cup, a stage where the likes of Viera and Totti failed miserably. Kinsella at his peak was also captain of a Premiership club.
    "Love many, trust few, always paddle your own canoe." Dillo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    anyone who has watched kinsella will know that all he does time after time is pass the ball square. louis van gaal may have said that but i also remember alex ferguson saying he would only pay 500k for robbie keane, give him £500 a week and stick him in the reserves! so ya know...maybe the pro's aint always rite. i think kinsella is only about 32 now and he left the premiership when he was 30. more of a journeyman than anything else, i rate matt holland in the class above kinsella, a lot similar about them but holland scores more goals at the highest level

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Kinsella, in his prime, was far better than Holland ever was, espically if you just look at their form in the green.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash/ED
    Kinsella, in his prime, was far better than Holland ever was, espically if you just look at their form in the green.
    agreed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast