Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: LOI Attendances 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Haven't got official figure yet, but around 1,000 or so in Finn Park tonight.

Fair play to the 20 or 30 Pats fans making the trip on a Monday night. Know just how difficult it is to get away for a game so it was good to see a few of them up.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,395 Posts
    Harps v Pats a disappointing 801 official.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Monday nights are a bad night for HARPS, i know most lads in my job didn't bother going, bet crowd will be bigger against Bray
    We are the SR the SRFC.......
    Part time Finn Harps too :)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    383 Posts
    Think we've been hugely unlucky with our home games so far, 2 were on a Monday night which knocked off a fair portion of away support and obviously home fans aswell ,and one was on Easter weekend,with an Ireland game the day before and a Donegal game on tv at the same time as well as atrocious weather.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Monday nights are a killer for all clubs.
    I know clubs seem to be in favor of them but surely not this early in the season.
    Can't see the point of it to be honest so early in the season.
    There are usually spare weekends later on in the season with teams out of cup competitions etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    420 at Waterford United v Cobh Ramblers as per sullywaterford's post on the other thread.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    281 Posts
    Thought it was around a 1000 last night myself but it wasn't a bad crowd for a Monday evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ForzaHoop View Post
    Monday nights are a bad night for HARPS, i know most lads in my job didn't bother going, bet crowd will be bigger against Bray
    Monday nights are bad news full-stop!

9. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Monday night last was bad news for me anyway as it entailed the highlights of Friday night's bad news.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by disgruntled View Post
    Monday nights are a killer for all clubs.
    I know clubs seem to be in favor of them but surely not this early in the season.
    Can't see the point of it to be honest so early in the season.
    There are usually spare weekends later on in the season with teams out of cup competitions etc.
    Our game was set by FAI. I very much doubt Harps had an input!
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Our game was set by FAI. I very much doubt Harps had an input!
    Don't know Mr A.
    As far as I know Monday night games are there because the clubs wanted it that way.
    I presume its to stop the season being extended with the added wages costs etc.
    There are blank weekends later on in the season with clubs out of cup competitions when these games could be played.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    68 Posts
    Don't know Mr A.
    As far as I know Monday night games are there because the clubs wanted it that way.
    I presume its to stop the season being extended with the added wages costs etc.
    There are blank weekends later on in the season with clubs out of cup competitions when these games could be played.
    The Monday night fixtures are in place so the Premier Division will end the same time as the first division. Which it has to for the play off system. Otherwise the first division club in the relegation/promotion play off would be without a game for 4/5 weeks and would still have to pay players in that time without having any gate revenue. There'd be a financial strain on the club plus a lack of competitive match practice for players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sulywaterfordfc View Post
    The Monday night fixtures are in place so the Premier Division will end the same time as the first division. Which it has to for the play off system. Otherwise the first division club in the relegation/promotion play off would be without a game for 4/5 weeks and would still have to pay players in that time without having any gate revenue. There'd be a financial strain on the club plus a lack of competitive match practice for players.
    Cheers for that but surely there are blank weekends later on in the season when most clubs are out of the Cup competitions ?
    In any case why does it have to be Monday.
    Surely Tuesday would be much better especially when some clubs have to play on Saturday night as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Cheers for that but surely there are blank weekends later on in the season when most clubs are out of the Cup competitions ?
    In any case why does it have to be Monday.
    Surely Tuesday would be much better especially when some clubs have to play on Saturday night as well.
    It doesn't have to be Monday. It's a midweek game and clubs have found that Friday - Monday - Friday works best. Clubs that play on Saturday usually go for Tuesday

Would harps have got less crowd this week on Tuesday with champions league on? Probably

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Also maybe someone can confirm thus but doesn't frank and Irene get money from uefa to not have domestic games on European nights (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday ).

I remember it mentioned when we moved from Thursday to Fridays as a reason

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    In a few weeks time all the major Soccer leagues will be finished.
    Why can't we wait until then to play our mid week games or is the annual tiddly winks championships on then ?

There are weekends every season when clubs are out of cup competitions & have no games.
    They still have to play their players even though they have no income.
    There are other options out there if clubs want to take them.
    Whats the big rush to get all the midweek games played so early in the season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    In a few weeks time all the major Soccer leagues will be finished.
    Why can't we wait until then to play our mid week games or is the annual tiddly winks championships on then ?

There are weekends every season when clubs are out of cup competitions & have no games.
    They still have to play their players even though they have no income.
    There are other options out there if clubs want to take them.
    Whats the big rush to get all the midweek games played so early in the season.
    You keep mentioning cup weekends but it's really not an option. You can't leave harps v Pats (postponed in April) until October because one/both are still in the cup? Get the game played as quick as possible

The planned midweek games are a pain but if clubs want a 40 week season (and they all do) and the players want a mid season break (and they all do), then there's no other way
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    You keep mentioning cup weekends but it's really not an option. You can't leave harps v Pats (postponed in April) until October because one/both are still in the cup? Get the game played as quick as possible

The planned midweek games are a pain but if clubs want a 40 week season (and they all do) and the players want a mid season break (and they all do), then there's no other way
    Sorry can't agree with you there Dodge.
    Yes by all means have mid week games but you don't have to get them all played in the first couple of months of the season. Wait a couple of months until the Champions League & Premiership are finished. Then the clubs can have any night they want.
    There are ways to avoid Mondays night games if clubs want them.
    The problem is that most of the clubs are totally dysfunctional & couldn't run the proverbial in a brewery.

The clubs ran the League of Ireland for years until they ran it into the ground. The FAI have no interest in running the League but we have to have a National league & someone has to run it.
    Its fine for clubs to complain about the way the FAI run the League but they won't do anything about it because most of them can't even run themselves.
    Always waiting for someone else to do it for them & its been that way for as long as I can remember it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I don't think what particular weeknight the games are on will make that much difference. If the regular games are going to be on Fri/Sat then Monday and Tuesday are the only real options. There is only one Monday night game scheduled in each round so that's three in total. The problems arise when postponed games have to be squeezed in.
    This issue is not going to disappear as long as the clubs want a 40 week season and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    110 Posts
    Sorry can't agree with you there Dodge.
    Yes by all means have mid week games but you don't have to get them all played in the first couple of months of the season. Wait a couple of months until the Champions League & Premiership are finished. Then the clubs can have any night they want.
    There are ways to avoid Mondays night games if clubs want them.
    The problem is that most of the clubs are totally dysfunctional & couldn't run the proverbial in a brewery.

The clubs ran the League of Ireland for years until they ran it into the ground. The FAI have no interest in running the League but we have to have a National league & someone has to run it.
    Its fine for clubs to complain about the way the FAI run the League but they won't do anything about it because most of them can't even run themselves.
    Always waiting for someone else to do it for them & its been that way for as long as I can remember it.
    I think you've misunderstood Dodge (I'm sure he'll defend himself anyway!) but I think what he's saying is that they need to get the postponed games played as quickly as possible, which is the way it should be.

Look at the Irish League up North this season, at one stage Carrick Rangers had about 6 games in hand because their home ground was unplayable for the best part of 4 months. They ended up having to play home games in Belfast.

If a match is postponed it should be played at the earliest possible time, waiting 4 months in the hope that they both get knocked out of the cup makes no sense. What if Harps had another game postponed, or Pat's went a few rounds in Europe and had to call off some games?

I think the UEFA Competition is probably why midweek fixtures get run off early in the season. It's a bit of an inconvenience but as Dodge says if the clubs just want a 40-week season and players want their 2-week summer break there's no other way (apart from 14-team league with 26 games).
    I phoned the speaking clock to hear a voice speak, it said - "At the tone you will be very much alone"

Page 10 of 42 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast