Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland Kits and Apparel

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I'd go with an XL tbh
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Went into Lifestyle today to collect another of those fabled tees after I bought it last week, after the one I previously got had a dodgy Umbro logo on it and there were a couple of beauts just in:

http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/re.../invt/57639330
    More jersey like in appearance than that other tee. But very nice.

http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/re.../invt/57625213
    This is much nicer in the flesh and isn't as dark.

http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/re.../invt/57616930

Jacket much nicer than the last one with no "Éire" on the back.

---

On the New Balance news. It was kinda inevitable given that Top Lion are distributors for both.

We're in need of a change anyway, Umbro missed a trick with our last couple after the retro beaut from 2011-12.

Hopefully NB see sense and do something along the lines of the 88 and 90 shirts to win us over early on.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Went into Lifestyle today to collect another of those fabled tees after I bought it last week, after the one I previously got had a dodgy Umbro logo on it and there were a couple of beauts just in:

http://www.lifestylesports.com/en/re.../invt/57639330
    More jersey like in appearance than that other tee. But very nice.
    Ooh, what's that like size and length-wise? Identical to the other?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Pretty much. It's more jersey-esque so a bit more give. But I'd get the same size.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Pretty much. It's more jersey-esque so a bit more give. But I'd get the same size.
    I went up the town and tried on both the medium and large sizes as the design is lovely, but I decided to leave it unfortunately as the medium was a bit too short for my liking and the large was a bit too wide/baggy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    They're making these in cleat form:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Really like all of those. Not much point in getting the green tee though given Bonnie tricked us into buying such a similar (yet inferior) version so recently.

The black (or maybe not so black) one is class I think, if not the most patriotic.

Really like the jacket as well and fully agree it's a step up from the last one - and no Éire definitely a major bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Really like all of those. Not much point in getting the green tee though given Bonnie tricked us into buying such a similar (yet inferior) version so recently.

The black (or maybe not so black) one is class I think, if not the most patriotic.

Really like the jacket as well and fully agree it's a step up from the last one - and no Éire definitely a major bonus.
    Surely you have more than one green tee already? You can never have too many.

The black tee is a defo. And tbh I'll probably end up with all three given how much I hate sponsored shirts.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    no Éire definitely a major bonus.
    Why? Are American tourists like "What's Eerie on the back of your shirt?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Surely you have more than one green tee already?
    Not really, a couple of jerseys. Having a few items is handy in a tournament setting but I wouldn't really find the need otherwise. The games don't roll around that often and I wouldn't tend to wear them in everyday life.

Think I might invest in that black one alright though and the jacket could be useful.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisLetang View Post
    Why? Are American tourists like "What's Eerie on the back of your shirt?"
    Ha... not quite. I don't think many Irish people even relate to the word to be honest. When I hear it I always think of Terry Venables saying it from some reason (although that might be in my head from the Après Match sketches).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I don't think many Irish people even relate to the word to be honest. When I hear it I always think of Terry Venables saying it from some reason (although that might be in my head from the Après Match sketches).
    I think the mild "stigma" or "cringe" (if you could call it that) surrounding usage of "Éire" to refer to the country (even though the term still appears on Irish passports, stamps and coinage too) has to do with it being perceived as more of a partitionist or specific term for the 26-county state than "Ireland". After the 1937 constitution was adopted, the British government insisted on referring to the 26-county state as "Éire/Eire" so as to distinguish from the potentially 32-county term "Ireland", use of which the British government regarded as an anti-partitionist or irredentist attempt by the state (obviously in tandem with the explicit constitutional territorial claim over the north) to lay claim to the whole of the island: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_...e.22_v_Ireland

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Not really, a couple of jerseys. Having a few items is handy in a tournament setting but I wouldn't really find the need otherwise. The games don't roll around that often and I wouldn't tend to wear them in everyday life.

Think I might invest in that black one alright though and the jacket could be useful.
    I've had this weird possession affliction ever since my mother never got me the 1990 shirt. I rarely wear these shirts outside of a match setting but alas...

Incidentally I have the shirt below. Hunted it down for months and eventually came across this spurious website that stocked it and bought it. I have attempted to wear it on numerous occasions but never do. I always end up with my 2001 Irish Permanent beaut.

Last edited by BonnieShels; 07/04/2017 at 10:19 AM.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I've had this weird possession affliction ever since my mother never got me the 1990 shirt.
    I had the 1990 away one at the time (well post WC90 actually because I had little or no interest when the tournament actually kicked off, my birthday is in August so I suspect that's when the purchase was made). I only watched the Romania game because I was bored at my grandparent's house and that got the ball rolling for me. I had full intentions of watching the Italy game as a result but I was brutally whisked off to Saturday evening mass by my aunt instead. The game was in injury time when we got back. Harsh.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    Incidentally I have the shirt below. Hunted it down for months and eventually came across this spurious website that stocked it and bought it. I have attempted to wear it on numerous occasions but never do. I always end up with my 2001 Irish Permanent beaut.

that jersey and the IP logo will always remind me of Anthony Foley.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,595 Posts
    I had the 1990 away one at the time (well post WC90 actually because I had little or no interest when the tournament actually kicked off, my birthday is in August so I suspect that's when the purchase was made). I only watched the Romania game because I was bored at my grandparent's house and that got the ball rolling for me. I had full intentions of watching the Italy game as a result but I was brutally whisked off to Saturday evening mass by my aunt instead. The game was in injury time when we got back. Harsh.
    that's pretty much child abuse.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    I think the mild "stigma" or "cringe" (if you could call it that) surrounding usage of "Éire" to refer to the country (even though the term still appears on Irish passports, stamps and coinage too) has to do with it being perceived as more of a partitionist or specific term for the 26-county state than "Ireland". After the 1937 constitution was adopted, the British government insisted on referring to the 26-county state as "Éire/Eire" so as to distinguish from the potentially 32-county term "Ireland", use of which the British government regarded as an anti-partitionist or irredentist attempt by the state (obviously in tandem with the explicit constitutional territorial claim over the north) to lay claim to the whole of the island: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_...e.22_v_Ireland
    Going slightly of topic but what do most fans call our team? I always refer to us as Ireland.
    On English TV & media we're always referred to as Republic of Ireland. Even the Sky graphics say 'ROI' when the actual FIFA 3 letter country code is 'IRL'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Going slightly of topic but what do most fans call our team? I always refer to us as Ireland.
    On English TV & media we're always referred to as Republic of Ireland. Even the Sky graphics say 'ROI' when the actual FIFA 3 letter country code is 'IRL'.
    Always always Ireland, never the "republic".

My cup at the Euros had Ireland on it incidentally.

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    You wore a cup to all the games? Hooligans?

I've never heard anything but Ireland either, unless the chips are down some ppl call the players "nasty buggers."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IsMiseSean View Post
    Both the FAI and IFA teams used the name "Ireland" prior to the 1950s, so FIFA decreed around the time that we were to be officially known as the "Republic of Ireland" and them as "Northern Ireland" in order to distinguish when the two competed in FIFA competition, but, in conversation, I'd only ever use "Ireland" myself to refer to us. I may use "Republic of Ireland" if I feel the need to use the official title for writing/publishing purposes or something like that.

You mention that Sky Sports and the English media refer to the team as "Republic of Ireland", but RTÉ do the very same.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    You mention that Sky Sports and the English media refer to the team as "Republic of Ireland", but RTÉ do the very same.
    I couldn't recall what RTE/Irish media use.
    I think RTE use 'IRL' for their graphics but it's usually just the UEFA graphics they use on their broadcasts.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast