Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 GE thread

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Danny Healy-Rae joins his brother on the Kerry ballot - they could be a bigger "party" than Renua once the dust settles!
    Dangerous move. Could split the "Complete Fecking Moron" vote.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I'd also lump SF in there too. Something about them in power simply terrifies me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm just terribly uneasy about it.
    They have a terrible reputation on the manifesto front, vague promises and all that, but I haven't had the chance to read this year's first. I did hear a promise on the radio the other day that wasn't accompanied with any sort of strategy, and that infuriated me as ever. The manifesto will be getting a thorough read on the bog this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    it can certainly be argued that on an overall basis the outgoing government delivered and got the country back on its feet having been to the brink of meltdown.
    It could also be argued that: a) the country would have recovered faster had we burned the bondholders and FDR'd our way through it, and apparently this nearly always trumps austerity; b) the government delivered what they were told to deliver by the troika, and the highest reward we should give them for that is stars for their foreheads; and c) we're not actually back on our feet yet, and in fact many economists thinks that we're back in a bubble.

For example the idea of burning the bondholders seems to have been a ship that had already sailed by the time they got in.
    The outgoing government made plenty of decisions on the subject while in government, and they are masters of our domain.

Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I'm having a real tough time deciding who to vote for because in all honesty the choices are so underwhelming
    And this is different from every other election how? Oh to be back in the day when I had "principles", and, you know, no children or house.

the biggest issue in this election for me should be our health service and who will have the best policies to fix what is essentially a 3rd world service
    Are you seriously comparing our health service to the likes of Uganda or North Korea?

I've been to A&E 4 or 5 times in the past 2 years or so, with my kids and my mum on one occasion, and on all occasions we were dealt with in the order we should have been, by people who cared and were good at their jobs, came out healthy at the end of the process, and it only cost money on one occasion (because my mother didn't get a referral). I've also been to SouthDoc numerous times and the service there was generally very good, and our GP has charged us a fraction of what he could have over the years, with our terrifying group visits.

The wait times are appalling, and need to improve immediately, I'm not sure they've ever been at the ~2 hour level, which I would consider reasonable. The beds situation is an absolute disgrace, and again is something that's been static as long as I can remember. And the amount of middle managers in the health service is positively disgusting, But the quality of care in Ireland is generally very good, and a comparison to the 3rd world is frankly ridiculous.

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I think I need to lie down, I gave dahamsta three thumbs up (spot on)

Thinking of doing Labour with 9.5 seats or less, and Sf with 24.5+, just waiting for my good mate PP to get back to me with some tasty odds.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Dangerous move. Could split the "Complete Fecking Moron" vote.
    Transfers! Transfers!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Looks increasingly like FG-FF is the only option:

https://irishpollingreport.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post

Are you seriously comparing our health service to the likes of Uganda or North Korea?

I've been to A&E 4 or 5 times in the past 2 years or so, with my kids and my mum on one occasion, and on all occasions we were dealt with in the order we should have been, by people who cared and were good at their jobs, came out healthy at the end of the process, and it only cost money on one occasion (because my mother didn't get a referral). I've also been to SouthDoc numerous times and the service there was generally very good, and our GP has charged us a fraction of what he could have over the years, with our terrifying group visits.

The wait times are appalling, and need to improve immediately, I'm not sure they've ever been at the ~2 hour level, which I would consider reasonable. The beds situation is an absolute disgrace, and again is something that's been static as long as I can remember. And the amount of middle managers in the health service is positively disgusting, But the quality of care in Ireland is generally very good, and a comparison to the 3rd world is frankly ridiculous.
    I accept comparing it to a 3rd world country was harsh,but when you live in the North west and see old people being forced to travel for 4 hours on buses to get cancer treatment or the absolute shambles our health service makes of treating people with mental health issues it is easy to have a paticular view on our health service and treatment that many, NOT ALL recieve.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Looks increasingly like FG-FF is the only option:

https://irishpollingreport.wordpress.com/
    Fianna Fail actually need the approval of a special Ard Fheis to approve going into a coalition, and it's unlikely, to say the least, such an Ard Fheis would approve a junior role in coalition with Fine Gael. Plenty of TD's would go for it, but the local membership would need some serious convincing.

I'm not sure there's any real benefit to FF of supporting a minority government either. Indeed, I don't think it's to anyone's electoral advantage to prop up Fine Gael/Labour in a likely hung Dail. It's easy to envision another election very quickly, but I'm not sure how it would turn out any different.

What is the process for a hung Dail anyway? Does Higgins just go to the party leaders one by one and ask them to try and form a government? I know that's how it's done in some European countries.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

10. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    I'm not really convinced about the current polls to be honest. I've read that undecided's are up at 30%, although they polling companies/ those commissioning them don't seem that upfront about what the current level is. Just something doesn't seem right to me about them - the underlying important issues don't seem to tally with the party figures. Remains to be seen obviously, but just my anecdotal evidence is that a lot of people are undecided, or at least unwilling to say, which way they're going to vote. A lot aren't too exercised about the election yet anyway.

The way the commentary is, particularly some of the (frankly ridiculous) social media commentary, I wouldn't be surprised if we have our own version of shy Tories - people who won't publicly commit that they think the current Government are doing ok.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Social media definitely skews more left-wing than the country. Sinn Fein probably has the most active Twitter usage of any party for one thing.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    Social media definitely skews more left-wing than the country. Sinn Fein probably has the most active Twitter usage of any party for one thing.
    It's not even the shinnerbots - there's a "like and share" cohort on facebook that are always outraged about something the Government is or isn't doing. You wouldn't blame the average voter keeping their head down with some of the stuff that's posted!

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    As Macy says, it isn't even left-wing, it's just outrage. Plenty of folk clearly right wing sharing crap all over social media
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Everytime I think I can't dislike Meehole anymore he goes and makes it so.

What a petulant cnut.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    If there's anything to be said for partition it's not having Joan Burton in my life. Who on earth thought that woman was cut out to lead a political party? She has one of those voices that would make you want to pour tar in your ears.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    If there's anything to be said for partition it's not having Joan Burton in my life. Who on earth thought that woman was cut out to lead a political party? She has one of those voices that would make you want to pour tar in your ears.
    I didn't watch the debate, but it's actually more depressing that it's about the sound of her voice, or even about a couple of hours debating time, as to who the electorate will or won't vote for - it should be about policy and record FFS.
    Last edited by Macy; 16/02/2016 at 9:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Watched the debate.
    Thought Stephen Donnelly started well but tailed off a bit - I get the feeling unless you are talking about the economy he is not great - needs more experience I suppose.
    Richard Boyd Barrett is a good speaker and has a clear message - he surprised me.
    Lucinda Creighton - I'm still figuring her out - a decent speaker but I disagree with her message fundamentally.
    Gerry Adams - disappointing - apart from the odd Punchline (no pun intended) I didn't feel he got his message across well. I'm not well up on Northern Ireland politics; but with them in power I don't get the impression that the place is falling apart like many would have you believe if they were part of the next government.
    Michael Martin – Didn’t do as well as the TV3 one – but certainly the most accomplished speaker – I’m surprised the others didn’t round on him more often – I have to admire his neck on lecturing others on Health policy.
    Joan Burton – not a great public speaker – but Labour are taking a disproportionate amount of the blame for the state this country is in I think – the whole situation is becoming frustrating for her and for them. They are fighting a losing battle now.
    Enda Kenny – you would think that the country’s political leader would dominate these debates – in truth only a bit part player and trying to say as little as possible. I must say thoroughly unimpressive, but there is nothing we didn’t know already there.
    An interesting debate ? or the worst game of the weakest link ever ? – I thought considering the potential for utter chaos with 7 speakers – Claire Byrne did a good job keeping order and I stayed watching even though I didn’t intend doing so.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I didn't watch the debate, but it's actually more depressing that it's about the sound of her voice, or even about a couple of hours debating time, as to who the electorate will or won't vote for - it should be about policy and record FFS.
    It's about her ability to communicate. If Irish people can't bear to hear her speak what chance has she got in Europe, or the USA when she is supposed to be representing our interests? Some people are born with one of those voices you could listen to all day. Bill Clinton is a great example of that. Then you get people like Ed Milliband or Martin McGuinness who as professionals have to go to voice coaching etc to allow them to better communicate with the electorate.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by backstothewall View Post
    It's about her ability to communicate. If Irish people can't bear to hear her speak what chance has she got in Europe, or the USA when she is supposed to be representing our interests? Some people are born with one of those voices you could listen to all day. Bill Clinton is a great example of that. Then you get people like Ed Milliband or Martin McGuinness who as professionals have to go to voice coaching etc to allow them to better communicate with the electorate.
    She isn't really going to the US and her English is perfectly fine for Europe. That's a complete red herring
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    She isn't really going to the US and her English is perfectly fine for Europe. That's a complete red herring
    Joan Burton has been in the US multiple times over the course of the last 5 years representing Irish interests, a few times around St. Patricks day for sure - I don't agree with BacktoWalsall regarding her voice but its not a complete Red Herring either. People have to be able to communicate effectively and clearly, but I wouldn't hold back a vote if someone was an effective politician just because he/she had a poor speaking voice. It's not a major issue, but you have to concede its not helping them now as this election will be a huge crisis for the party after the expected results.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I think Labour are in a now in a situation anyway. She could be a perfect orator and people still wouldn't give her the time of day. Instead, they don't like her and pick on the voice to make fun of her
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Lest you think i'm just another Nordie ShinnerBot Martina Anderson is another awful example of the nails on a blackboard voice.

Joan should have plenty of time to work on it from the start of next month though

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast