Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The 2016 GE thread

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Coveney comes across quite well I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    488 Posts
    I'm not suggesting there was anything untoward about any of those projects happening. But whether there was or not if you get that many photos in the local paper of yourself holding shovels and cutting ribbons it creates an impression that you are bringing home the bacon for Dublin.

It'll definitely be a free stater in SF. The DNA of shinners in the North is that Dublin is the capital of Ireland. Dail Eireann is the national parliament and that is where the leader should be. They won't have another leader from the North until their northern MPS are allowed to sit in the Dail

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I've read a lot of the posts here, and it's somewhat encouraging to read a lot of people with similar thoughts or feelings to what I'd feel myself.

I'm a constituent in Dublin South Central, and before that Laois/Offaly. I would never have been hugely interested in politics, and while I wouldn't have followed a family vote or anything like that, we did have a very strong connection to Labour Party and to the trade union movement through my father and grandfather; Labour-leaning is probably my background. Even though I was out of Dublin (vote-wise) for the guts of 10 years, I'd have kept an eye on what was going on locally.
    The first thing that concerned me about my constituency was the calibre of the candidates: Atrocious. They fell into two catagories: Inexperienced or weak links in their parties.

Collins (R2C)
    Smith (PBP)
    Ardagh (FF)
    O'Snodaigh (SF)
    Byrne (FG)
    Byrne (LAB)

Coyne (SD)
    O'hAlmhain (GP)
    Dargan (RA)
    Devine (SF)

I've been really enthused by the Social Democrats, to the point that I'd nearly consider supporting them formally. Every politician will have flaws, but for me how Shorthall, Donnelly and Murphy have gone about their business has been great to see. I met the local candidate a few times out and about and it was obvious to see that he's inexperienced. He appears to be prepared to go the circuitous route via the local elections - something a few of the other candidates didn't/hadn't considered, which was alarming.
    I feel sorry for Enda Kenny. There I've said it. He's not a leader in the sense that Haughey was, or in the way that Cameron is in England. He's definitely a chairman type. I think individually if you look at who he's appointed, they've worked. Howlin has been brilliant at DPER. Coveney is extremely well-regarded in Ag; to me Paschal Donohue has been excellent as Transport and Sport minister (however bizarre that partnership might be).

I really cannot see why they have suffered in the way that they have, or why those who voted for them have now left for either independents or FF? The single biggest positive change to my life, was introduced by the present govt, with the introduction of under 6's free gp care. My 4 kids have auto-immune issues, and the associated problems means were in the GP at least once a week. We're not rich, but we're over the means test limit. That single change has meant a huge amount to me, and is the difference between having some spare change at the end of the week or not. That's enough for me.

I do not feel sorry for Joan Burton, but do feel sorry for some of those in Labour. I despise her - for rational and irrational reasons. The rot was setting in with Labour as soon as they decided to govern. I don't begrudge them doing it, but once they decided not to back Roisin Shorthall when she disputed what Reilly was doing on moral grounds, then their hands were tied. Gilmore and Burton's greed/lust for power has killed the younger candidates who were always going to struggle in the face of a staunch left challenge in their constituencies from PBP/AAA/R2C. I've listened to enough soundbytes from people like Ciara Conway (who really gave a very good breakdown of her own personal plan for childcare), Joanna Tuffy - even O'Riordan at times - but they've been killed by the likes of Kelly and a couple of others. Fergus Finlay and someone else rightly pointed out on air and in print, that Labour need to completely rebuild, with Finlay in particular suggesting anyone involved in the leadership in the last decade be ruled out of leading the party. That would be a start. I can see Howlin acting as leader until the next general election is called this year, and they'll take it from there. I hope they can properly rebuild, but they have a huge battle now with People before Profit (in the urban areas anyway).

I was really looking forward to this election. I was anticipating something of a revolution in terms of seat outcome. However I was very upset at seeing the votes coming in. Part of me would have been excited to see what would happen with the Shinners and the left in charge. On the upside, I'm delighted Renua failed. I'm delighted the Greens are back. The country could do with a strong green party. I'd have no problem with a FG government supported by Social Democrats, the Greens and Labour. I abhor independents, no more so than in the motherland, where for some reason those two spastics could have elected a 3rd wheel such was the size of their vote.

I voted
    SD
    FG
    GP
    PBP
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

4. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Not that he needed it, but Donnelly was a good bit down my list due to a few issues I've thought he individually, and the SD's as a party, have been hypocritical on. I guess I would be the disaffected Labour voter they would be aimed at.

Personally, I won't vote for any party that says they'll get rid of Water Charges (which is different from doing something about Irish Water, if you believe that is a flawed organisation). It was a measure to broaden the tax base, it puts us in line with other countries, and is actually an equality measure within Ireland given the numbers that already paid for water through group schemes and well/ wastewater treatment systems. There's a large cohort of the anti water protestors who this is the only real contribution they've been asked to make!

I've yet to hear anything radical from anyone - there were very few genuine reforms offered. For example, whilst I am 100% a believer in the welfare state, but at this stage all payments (not just those "in work" benefits) should be taxable, with additional services (such as the medical card, travel pass) given a BIK value. This would actually help the (still vast majority) genuine claimants. Social Welfare should be merged with Revenue as well, so it has the same powers and burden of proof, get rid of ridiculous "Data Protection Issues" for departments sharing information. Making it taxable would also help get rid of the welfare trap if it does exist, as payments would be able to continue whilst people return to work. It would get away from the all or nothing that too often happens now.
    Last edited by Macy; 03/03/2016 at 3:48 PM.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Another thing: why has RTE, and also it seems the public, somehow found it acceptable to give airtime to Messrs Ahern, Ahern, Dempsey and Coughlan?
    While old FF as a group absolutely disgusts me, I have a certain amount of respect for the likes of Eamon O'Cuiv and indeed Sean Haughey, who continued to plough on in the wilderness, particularly when they themselves are seemingly disliked within the party. O'Cuiv actually contributed some decent balanced opinion at the weekend, when the easiest thing to do would have been to ride the wave like Martin and a few others.

When the proverbial hit the fan, Dermot Ahern, Coughlan and Dempsey despite being young enough choose to bugger off into the sunset and not seek re-election. Now that the tide has turned they decide to re-emerge. Disgusting, and the pussies in RTE facilitated it.

8. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    When the proverbial hit the fan, Dermot Ahern, Coughlan and Dempsey despite being young enough choose to bugger off into the sunset and not seek re-election. Now that the tide has turned they decide to re-emerge. Disgusting, and the pussies in RTE facilitated it.
    I am not sure it's the job of the national broadcaster to isolate voices because they screwed up in the past. Is everyone not entitled to a voice. If every politician who made a mess of things wasn't permitted on the airwaves, they'd be really stuck for someone to interview,
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I am not sure it's the job of the national broadcaster to isolate voices because they screwed up in the past. Is everyone not entitled to a voice. If every politician who made a mess of things wasn't permitted on the airwaves, they'd be really stuck for someone to interview,
    but these clowns made a complete mess of things and then hid for 5 years. now that FF are making a recovery in the polls they re-emerge to give us their nougats of wisdom. they are cowards

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Of course, and in the post you cropped to quote, I complimented their ex-colleagues for having the balls to keep going. But it was the absolute gougerist way in which they scuttled off stage left, and then strode back on stage right when the storm has passed.
    When you look at some of the high-profile personalities in Montrose and their connections to that party, it really is not a stretch to suggest they are Fianna Fail friendly.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    What I commented on was your criticism of RTE for giving them airtime. I agree with everything you and jbyrne say about them but that doesn't mean RTE shouldn't interview them now when they have dared to put their heads above the parapets again.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Coveney comes across quite well I think.
    That once may have been true. But Jesus, he's having an awful week.

Leo for Leoder.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Fianna Fail's O'Fearghail elected as Ceann Comhairle. Bit of a surprise, thought Maureen O'Sullivan would attract lots of transfers from opposition parties. For all the talk of Dail reform, Martin's FF were as well whipped on vote as Fine Gael and Sinn Fein.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    What's the latest?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Shadow boxing over. Enda resolves to have us Blueshirts crying into our porridge this morning. I hope he is being as cunning as I hope he is. I nearly got sick listening to the 7am news on Morning Ireland.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2016/0407/780...na-fail-talks/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Get the polling stations ready again folks.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I assume they can't call an election again until the Seanad votes, right? That's the 26th of this month.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    FF played into FG's hands.

I can't actually believe it. They wouldn't even wait a few days to pretend to mull over it. Deeeeeeeelighted!

NFB, not sure about that. Gonna check.

EDIT: I'm being distracted by it as I have loads of work to do. There is no connection to a Dáil dissolution of the Seanad. So an election can be called tomorrow (under Presidential acceptance of course). However it can't be held any earlier than 25 "working" days after it's called, at which stage the 24th Seanad would have been elected. But the order for dissolving the Seanad is usually done at the same time as the Dáil.

So yeah, it'll have no bearing. Enda will be Taoiseach next week. And that will be that.
    Last edited by BonnieShels; 07/04/2016 at 9:22 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    I assume they can't call an election again until the Seanad votes, right? That's the 26th of this month.
    No, the Seanad count would go ahead in the middle of the campaign, but it would immediately be dissolved, and a second Seanad election would be held 90 days after the second Dáil election!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    That sounds like an awful muddle.

Honestly, it seems like FG's bare-faced presentation of an equal partnership to FF means they are resigned to an election, since they know FF would never accept such a deal. And FG minority government doesn't seem like something FG is yet willing to completely commit to.

But that being said, the only change I see in a second election would be for both FG and FF to lose seats.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeverFeltBetter View Post
    But that being said, the only change I see in a second election would be for both FG and FF to lose seats.
    Would you see any one other party gaining significantly in a re run ?

Its hard to see a second election delivering anything more decisive going on how this one played out, would the country react significantly differently and who would be rewarded / punished if it did ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    I'm sure Sinn Fein would be in a position to win a few more, and SD's were reasonably close in a few other places outside of their sitting three in March.

I just think a lot of the softer FF/FG voters might get a bit annoyed at the last month of waffling and look elsewhere. They had the chance to make an agreement, and appear to have turned their noses up at the prospect. That doesn't scream electorally attractive behavior to me.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast