Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2016 GE thread

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    I’ve no issue with paying water charges – I have an issue with why they were introduced ( paying off unsecured bond-holders ) but they are necessary in the long term. I have no objection to SD’s putting forward this argument especially in the manner he does. You won't get that from a FF/FG manifesto thats for sure ( at least you didn't in the past ).
    It's not really about water. It's about the contradiction of saying getting rid of that, whilst opposing the cutting of other charges on the basis of it not maintain the widening of the tax base. Water charges were part of that widening of the tax base, whether you or he or the Social Democrats want to accept that or not.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    It's not really about water. It's about the contradiction of saying getting rid of that, whilst opposing the cutting of other charges on the basis of it not maintain the widening of the tax base. Water charges were part of that widening of the tax base, whether you or he or the Social Democrats want to accept that or not.
    Fair enough - I couldn't disagree more really - I like his financial matter of fact approach - he treats each item on its own merits and if we are not getting bang for our tax buck - then he will say so.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Didn't Donnelly say he didn't know if he had paid the water charges when he was asked at the launch of the party? I found that a bit strange, lol! What kind of answer was that. (not criticising him or anything......dont know enough about his party)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I think FG voters are very happy with the performance of their government. They pretty much got what they voted (bar a couple of social issues that Labour managed to slide past them). Their numbers will stay fairly similar
    Fine Gael's number of TDs will drop but I don't think by a huge amount unfortunately. I'm not sure of the situation in other constituencies but in Galway I see it like this,

In Galway West they'll probably hold on to their two seats but at the expense of a Labour seat. I can't see all 3 gov't TDs being re-elected. My guess would be 2 FG, 1 FF, 1 SF & 1 Ind.

In Galway East they'll more than likely lose a seat since it's now only a 3 seater. Labour won't win a seat. Lorraine Higgins is their candidate, her transfers could make a difference though. My guess 1 FG, 1 FF & 1 Ind.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Proof that social media is no substitute for shoe leather:

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland...nd-379899.html

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think FF might surprise everyone, a lot of mainstream people I talk to seem quite prepared to forgive.

I think the independent and FF vote may be the surprise this election.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 05/02/2016 at 11:21 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Idiots. Mainstream idiots.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    If my father is any indication, there are people out there who will happily give Fine Gael a #1 preference while slinging abuse towards Labour for their time in government.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Many seem reluctant to vote outside of a party. If we don't change our voting practices history will continue to be repeated. Really hope people do not but the stability over chaos argument.

10. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Most independents are out of the party system, and only left either on a specific issue or for past seat preservation or some selection issue. And most will be happy to prop up a Government in return for favours. I don't see the rise of the independent as the great white hope of democracy in Ireland.

12. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    I thought this was quite funny: https://twitter.com/Tupp_Ed/status/696828558510002176

"I chose “No opinion” on all the political issue questions for Dublin Rathdown and matched strongly with Shane Ross. "
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Most independents are out of the party system, and only left either on a specific issue or for past seat preservation or some selection issue. And most will be happy to prop up a Government in return for favours. I don't see the rise of the independent as the great white hope of democracy in Ireland.
    Seconded. In many cases they're the greatest prostitutes of all - support practically anything at national level to get what they need at local level.

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SocStudent View Post
    Many seem reluctant to vote outside of a party. If we don't change our voting practices history will continue to be repeated. Really hope people do not but the stability over chaos argument.
    I refuse to vote for a FF candidate, because the party they're a member of, and critically the party they'll vote with, destroyed this country.

I refuse to vote for a FG candidate because the party they're a member of, the party they'll vote with, made us pay for FF's failures, not the investors that fed it. And they did it because they were told to, not because they chose to.

I'm not even going to explain why I won't vote for a Labour candidate. Anyone that's still involved in Labour should be ashamed of themselves.

It doesn't leave me with a whole lot, but yes, I'll still go out and vote, because I'd be worse than them if I didn't. But no, I won't vote for anyone from those parties. Screw them, if they want to align themselves with a bunch of turncoats, cowards, idiots and pigs, that's their lookout.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Here's what I want to know: What would it actually take for the idiots in Tipp to not vote for Lowry? Do we need a carrot or a stick?

I say we move all the Lowry voters into Leitrim, and fence it off.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,337 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I refuse to vote for a FF candidate, because the party they're a member of, and critically the party they'll vote with, destroyed this country.

I refuse to vote for a FG candidate because the party they're a member of, the party they'll vote with, made us pay for FF's failures, not the investors that fed it. And they did it because they were told to, not because they chose to.

I'm not even going to explain why I won't vote for a Labour candidate. Anyone that's still involved in Labour should be ashamed of themselves.

It doesn't leave me with a whole lot, but yes, I'll still go out and vote, because I'd be worse than them if I didn't. But no, I won't vote for anyone from those parties. Screw them, if they want to align themselves with a bunch of turncoats, cowards, idiots and pigs, that's their lookout.
    Very much my own opinion on the matter too. I'd also lump SF in there too. Something about them in power simply terrifies me. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'm just terribly uneasy about it.
    I won't let it sway my opinions completely however.
    It helps somewhat for me, coming into a constituency that's new to me for the first time since moving to Carlow, that I don't know the candidates, and I can make a properly balanced decision based on whatever jargan or spin that impresses me the most.

One thing I know for sure, this Bobby Aylward fella is one smug looking b&stard in his posters. One of those faces that you'd just love to punch. It helps he's part of FF.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    FF, FG and Labour all ran in the last election on the broad basis that the deal agreed by the previous government with the Troika would be implemented and it can certainly be argued that on an overall basis the outgoing government delivered and got the country back on its feet having been to the brink of meltdown. On the other hand they consistently fecked up various things- Irish Water, cack handed handling of justice etc. Some of their biggest feck-ups were over promising in the campaign- but I suspect any party who doesn't will be slaughtered. For example the idea of burning the bondholders seems to have been a ship that had already sailed by the time they got in. They followed a largely FG agenda- and rightly so since they had far more seats. I find it bizarre in this country that we seem to expect similar or even more influence from the smaller party than the larger. I think history will be kinder to them than possibly the electorate will be- especially in Labour's case.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    893 Posts
    Here's what I want to know: What would it actually take for the idiots in Tipp to not vote for Lowry?
    Quite probably an extiction level event. Asteroid? Comet? Compulsory sterilisation of all Tipp males?

I say we move all the Lowry voters into Leitrim, and fence it off.
    As a Rossie I'd nearly welcome the asteroid rather than have that on the old homestead's border!!
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    342 Posts
    I'm having a real tough time deciding who to vote for because in all honesty the choices are so underwhelming,the biggest issue in this election for me should be our health service and who will have the best policies to fix what is essentially a 3rd world service,but in all honesty I have seen nothing from anybody that would fill me with confidence in regards to fixing or at least improving it.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    I'm having a real tough time deciding who to vote for because in all honesty the choices are so underwhelming,the biggest issue in this election for me should be our health service and who will have the best policies to fix what is essentially a 3rd world service,but in all honesty I have seen nothing from anybody that would fill me with confidence in regards to fixing or at least improving it.
    You need to avoid parties promising tax cuts so.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    Danny Healy-Rae joins his brother on the Kerry ballot - they could be a bigger "party" than Renua once the dust settles!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast