Thanked in
    131 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Indeed! > From the same site in the match report:

QPR Star Man – Conor Masterson 8 A mature performance from the youngster who capped his display by staying to clap all sides of the ground and even joining in a ‘You R’ss!’, which of course went down a treat for the many home fans still in attendance. If and it’s a big if, he can stay fit and maintain these performances then we may well have a big asset on our hands. He will face tougher battles than that of Patrick Bamford and as he grows will fill out his frame. But at just 21, to play like that in the Championship live on Sky against one of the best teams in the league, well done young man.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

3. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    The manager was impressed by his display also:
    https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/...-debut-display

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,681 Posts
    I only saw the last 15 mins and he had one very good carry well into the Leeds half but what stood out was his maturity / confidence. At no point did he look like he felt he was a kid in a man's game.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Very solid first half again from Conor, vs Sheff Wed in FA cup. On the ball a lot, keeping things simple, with one nice cross field ball. Dominating in the air for the most part. One excellent piece of defending when isolated on a 1 to 1, ensured Jacob Murphy had to go wide before he made a classy interception to a raucous applause from the QPR faithful. QPR conceded just before half time when their right back was asleep from a quick throw in, nothing Conor could do about it

7. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Solid second half as well. Did have a mixup with his keeper Lumley, from which Conor recovered well and saved a goal. 100% lumleys fault who should have stayed in his box to enable Conor to head the ball back to him. Overall, good performance from Conor. Hopefully he’s done enough to start again Tuesday night. I think he offers more than Leistner going forward, so perhaps Hall as his partner. The other qpr centre back Barbet also fit again I believe so hopefully Conor can keep his place.

On a side note, Manning was very poor defensively again. The second time I’ve seen him play. He certainly appears to have gone off the boil. If I was him, I would snap up any long term contract qpr are offering and stay another season in championship. He is nowhere near premiership standard at the current time, he has a lot of work to do

9. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Leistner off to Koln in Germany, a huge vote of confidence in Conor. The path is clearer for him now to get a solid run of games

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Got in today as late replacement done well it seems . Seemed to be unlucky to be droped a few weeks ago. Nice to see him getting a break

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Did well and all according to their fans forum and twitter. Including an excellent sliding block on Hogan in injury time who was going for his hat trick. QPR will be “safe” with one more win or so, really hope Conor will get a firm run of games as they develop him for next season

13. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Club captain Grant Hall has left the club after rejecting contract offer with immediate effect. Great news for Conor who should get an uninterrupted run of games now to close the season

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Starting his second game in a row for QPR this afternoon. Fingers crossed he can progress!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    interviewed this week on QPR's podcast: https://soundcloud.com/theloftcast/t...ockdown-lifted
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Subbed after 33 minutes, after starting in 5 man back line. Really not looking good for him at this stage to make an impact at a high level. Can’t say he hasn’t had chances this season. A number of QPR fans were questioning his legs prior to him being frozen out for the past few games. Dara O’Shea is going from strength to strength, albeit at right back. Nathan Collins has had a very frustrating season, banished to right back for 2 recent games, then whipped off at half time for the terrible James Chester in the most recent game having started centre back. Michael O’Neill really knows how to build a youngsters confidence. Fans haven’t been overly impressed by Collins in any case, has allowed opponents easily skip pass him too many times. Ryan Nolan is a forgotten man, played in relegation playoffs in Serie C for his loan club, and was dropped (perhaps injured) for return leg. He’s unlikely to make it at this stage, and hasn’t impressed me when I’ve seen him, again doesn’t look to have the legs and mobility.

At this stage, looks like Egan and Duffy going forward. Long playing solid for Burnley having had an unexpected run in the team. O’Shea, and possibly Collins if he can mature and get a run of games. There’s obviously a few younger hot prospects, but will have to see how they develop in coming years
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 11/07/2020 at 3:54 PM.

20. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    I see Masterson was subbed off for a striker. So, clearly there must have been a tactical decision made. Also, I would have little worry for Nathan Collins.

I don't think either need writing off just yet.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    I see Masterson was subbed off for a striker. So, clearly there must have been a tactical decision made. Also, I would have little worry for Nathan Collins.

I don't think either need writing off just yet.
    Of course it was tactical, hence I stated 5 man defense. Masterson had a clear run at centre back once Hall moved on, but QPR felt the need to move Cameron back to centre back, and play an unknown 22 year old defender from Sierra Leone ahead of him in recent games. And he is the first to make way in a tactical decision. QPR will bring in at least 2 centre backs over the summer, and Masterson clearly has failed his “test.” I’m not definitely writing him off, just presenting objective data as to why he is unlikely to make it at a high level (a top division and regular international football)
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 11/07/2020 at 4:27 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    "Unlikely to make it at a high level"- I think your post is riddled with confirmation bias. He has played a decent number of games for QPR. It is his first season at the club. It is his first season of senior football. He is 21. Geoff Cameron has played a lot of football centre half and is more experienced. The Sierra Leonian (Kakay) you refer to is 22 and has had loan spells so is far more experienced at senior level. I would say he is "unknown" because you are neither a Sierra Leonian or QPR supporter (correct me if I'm wrong). Is Kakay not a full back?

"Presenting objective data"- Anyone can espouse objective data. Being objective when selecting the objective data to espouse is a little different.

I think you are unnecessarily leaning towards writing Masterson off.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    "Unlikely to make it at a high level"- I think your post is riddled with confirmation bias. He has played a decent number of games for QPR. It is his first season at the club. It is his first season of senior football. He is 21. Geoff Cameron has played a lot of football centre half and is more experienced. The Sierra Leonian (Kakay) you refer to is 22 and has had loan spells so is far more experienced at senior level. I would say he is "unknown" because you are neither a Sierra Leonian or QPR supporter (correct me if I'm wrong). Is Kakay not a full back?

"Presenting objective data"- Anyone can espouse objective data. Being objective when selecting the objective data to espouse is a little different.

I think you are unnecessarily leaning towards writing Masterson off.
    Yes I believe he’s a full back. But there was talk of Masterson getting a run there a la O’Shea. Cameron was playing defensive midfield for the QPR games I’ve seen this year, but he was pushed back to cover Masterson. All I’m saying is Masterson has not established himself as a centre half at a club currently at league one standard skinned down to its bare bones, with only 2 fit centre halves, with Cameron playing as defensive midfielder mostly this season (granted he’s also a centre half). They will buy at least 2 new centre halves over the summer. At this stage, it is unlikely that Masterson who will be 22 when the new season starts will be a top player.

Im basing this on seeing him in 20 or so matches, and I do agree he looked promising in the first few games with QPR, but this was allowing for the leeway given to a youngster in his initial breakthrough (for example he was clearly shaky against Leeds and Bamford showed him up a couple of times). I haven’t seen him this side of lockdown but have read the two QPR forums and other reports and he clearly hasn’t pushed on. Perhaps my memory is foggy, so perhaps you can add recall bias to my confirmation bias as flaws in my argument.

I wrote Idah off early, and he’s proving me wrong thus far. Let’s hope I’m wrong about Masterson, but the signs are pointing in the wrong direction
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 11/07/2020 at 5:28 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    If there's one part of the team we shouldn't need to worry about its the defence. O'Shea is developing incredibly well, Collins is doing very well for his age and Masterson is getting first team games as well. Ebosele looks like he might be the next young defender to break through.

Today was just a tactical thing, I'd expect him to outlast Warburton at QPR to be honest so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on Warburton's ineptness.

That said he does seem to be a bit behind Collins and O'Shea despite being the oldest of the three. But he's playing a good amount of Championship football at 21 so he's doing fine for now.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    If there's one part of the team we shouldn't need to worry about its the defence. O'Shea is developing incredibly well, Collins is doing very well for his age and Masterson is getting first team games as well. Ebosele looks like he might be the next young defender to break through.

Today was just a tactical thing, I'd expect him to outlast Warburton at QPR to be honest so I wouldn't draw too many conclusions based on Warburton's ineptness.

That said he does seem to be a bit behind Collins and O'Shea despite being the oldest of the three. But he's playing a good amount of Championship football at 21 so he's doing fine for now.
    Masterson definitely needed to get league football earlier and liverpool held him back and he was also unlucky to be injured in his last preseason there when he likely would have gone on loan. He is such a lovely footballer and so comfortable on the ball I think he has a real chance given how most top flight teams now play and relatively speaking how few centre halves have that footballing ability. Physically he is not where he should be though and he really needs to put serious muscle on that lanky frame and he is the only one who can knuckle down and push himself to do that. No harm remembering where John Egan was at Masterson s age. To be fair QPR forums seem to think he shouldn't have been.pulled off today similar to stokes forums reactions to Collins been withdrawn against Leeds.

Ebosele has only been converted to fullback this season so i wonder how he will manage defensively in league football cause certainly underage he was an out and out winger and even emergency striker . He seems to have put on serious muscle though so he must be a committed lad .

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I'd agree with pretty much all of that. Similar to Masterson John Egan had played less than 20 games of league football at this stage of his career and almost all of those were in League 2. Obviously not every player kicks on the way Egan did but it's far to early to write Masterson off. The time to judge him will be in 12 or 24 months time. Hopefully he'll be an established Championship player by then, if he is he will again be ahead of Egan at the same age.

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast