Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Conor Masterson D QPR (loaned to Gillingham) b.1998

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Someone got into a panic over in YBIG because Jayson Molumby has been on the bench for a couple of games and subbed early for Millwall. You see some really over-dramatized conclusions being drawn and somebody made this post which I think sums it up well:

Young player dropped for a couple of matches = panic stations.
    Young player gets back into the starting 11 after a couple of weeks = all is well again.

Rinse and repeat....

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I'd agree with pretty much all of that. Similar to Masterson John Egan had played less than 20 games of league football at this stage of his career and almost all of those were in League 2. Obviously not every player kicks on the way Egan did but it's far to early to write Masterson off. The time to judge him will be in 12 or 24 months time. Hopefully he'll be an established Championship player by then, if he is he will again be ahead of Egan at the same age.
    Yeah, he was nearly 24 before he started getting regular football in The Championship. Even Duffy didn't get regular football at Championship level until he was 21, and that was on loan at Yeovil. So still time for Masterson to develop and hopefully achieve his potential.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I wrote Idah off early, and he’s proving me wrong thus far. Let’s hope I’m wrong about Masterson, but the signs are pointing in the wrong direction
    Do you think the problem, rather than being the players' problem, is maybe actually the fact you rush to judge players without allowing time to see how their development continues?

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Too many fence sitters on here as it is CD, we should welcome a maverick like Tommy. Let him live and die by the sword, what harm?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    I don't think there's any harm in someone getting interested by a new player, be it positive or otherwise. That's why we're here right? Otherwise there'd be no threads on up and coming players other than bare facts, and where's the fun in that...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Masterson came of the bench after 11 minutes yesterday due to an injury and by all accounts put in a decent shift. Hopefully he plays the last few games and progresses further in his development.

On the plus side according to the QPR fan forums they have hardly any money to spend on transfers in the summer break so now that they are safe and providing Masterson doesn't have a nightmare in any of the final 2 games then he should be in or about the first team again next season.

I do think this guy can be good but he does need a decent run in a team that is not leaking goals with some good, experienced defenders he can learn from. QPR have neither of those requirements at the moment.
    Last edited by youngirish; 15/07/2020 at 1:17 PM.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think a full season in the Championship playing regularly would/will be huge for Masterson. Going to Liverpool has cost him a year or two of development really, while Dara O'Shea was slumming it down in League 2 Masterson was coasting (i.e. wasting his time) playing under 23s. Injuries didn't help as well to be fair.

Basically I think his potential could be huge and his skillset is ideal for a modern day Premier League defence. But he needs to learn his trade like O'shea has done and a good run of games now will help to make up for lost time.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    479 Posts
    Totally. If my son can play he is going nowhere near a big club to learn his trade.... so straight to Manchester United!

12. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Scores today.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Scored after starting today against Millwall. Hopefully doing enough to keep him in the frame for next season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    By God, Masterson popped up with a goal! Only 6 subs on QPR bench. Let’s hope he can push on. Keep the humble pie in the freezer for another couple of years, but hopefully I’ll be eating it alongsides Idah’s pie!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Manning makes it 2-1. Great day at the office.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    And Molumby with the final goal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    115 Posts
    Any word on how Shodipo is doing? I noticed he's reappeared in the first team after lockdown.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Shodipo kept his fitness up during the lockdown and came back in good form. The feeling is that he was basically playing for his career at QPR and needed a good spell. Hopefully he has done enough to stay involved.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Pre-lockdown, there was a tweet from the club owner, Tony Fernandes, referring to Shodipo as his favourite player. Obviously doesn't count for much if he isn't doing the business on the park but there must be a will for him to do well.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Reading a few different forums to try and see the impressions on Masterson. Some QPR fans have him in the starting line up for next season. Others have him out on loan.

I think it's very clear he has a lot of work to do. But it is also clear that he is a good reader of the game and very comfortable on the ball. Strength, power and aggression are probably the missing pieces and Eirambler set out the excellent point above that he missed that season in League Two that Dara O'Shea got.

He is a very driven and determined young lad. Further, he comes from a solid background as his father is a football man but also has a successful professional career (Director at Irish Rail). They will have learned so much about his game this season that they wouldn't have playing under 23 football at Liverpool. I'm sure that the weaknesses identified will be easily turned into opportunities by them.

He is no Ryan Burke. Not yet anyway.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    For anyone interested in his performance today, I’ve provided some specific examples should you want to watch a replay.

Good things: As always he’s comfortable on the ball with pretty good distribution. Made some vital interceptions/clearances, and had a reasonable second half. And wasn’t at fault for any of the 2 goals.

10, 87, 89 minutes: dominating headers won from goal kicks
    47 minutes: good tracking and headed clearance
    60 minutes: firm challenge at edge of box
    82 minutes: excellent clearing header from cross

Bad things: as mentioned by others, some issues with concentration/ball watching, and nearly cost QPR 2 early goals today.

2 minutes: gets turned easily and gives cheap free kick away
    4 minutes: misjudges a header from long WB clearance, results in west brom one-on-one which should have been a goal
    6 minutes: let’s Robinson to come across him allowing a free header in 6 yard box which should have been another goal
    13 minutes: allowed Robinson cross in front of him again and would have been a tap in bar a deflection on cross
    16 minutes: simple through ball from O’Shea got caught between his legs flicking it on to left winger resulting in dangerous chance
    83 minutes: more of a collective defensive issue, terrible defending from free kick with multiple WB players having a potential free header, Bartley messed it up. Masterson was at the right edge of box; not the place for a centre back. Defending from set pieces has been an Achilles heal of QPR all season, so partly related to coaching as well.

Many weaknesses that I see (concentration, strength, agility) are imminently addressable to some extent and certainly experience will improve him. He does have an excellent attitude by all accounts and he will hopefully work hard to address these in off season and beyond. His first half performance is why I feel the way I do about him longer term, but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong. Hindsight is 20/20, but he stayed with the Liverpool reserves too long.

His approach to next season is crucial. Personally, I think he should work as hard as he can from tomorrow, see how preseason goes and see how many centre backs QPR bring in. I just can’t see him being fully backed for next season going on recent performances and QPR’s aspirations. He should then clarify with Warburton early if he’s first choice or now. If he’s not, then he should go to league one on loan until Christmas ASAP. He should not stay if squad player. He needs as many first team games as possible next season

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    For anyone interested in his performance today, I’ve provided some specific examples should you want to watch a replay.

Good things: As always he’s comfortable on the ball with pretty good distribution. Made some vital interceptions/clearances, and had a reasonable second half. And wasn’t at fault for any of the 2 goals.

10, 87, 89 minutes: dominating headers won from goal kicks
    47 minutes: good tracking and headed clearance
    60 minutes: firm challenge at edge of box
    82 minutes: excellent clearing header from cross

Bad things: as mentioned by others, some issues with concentration/ball watching, and nearly cost QPR 2 early goals today.

2 minutes: gets turned easily and gives cheap free kick away
    4 minutes: misjudges a header from long WB clearance, results in west brom one-on-one which should have been a goal
    6 minutes: let’s Robinson to come across him allowing a free header in 6 yard box which should have been another goal
    13 minutes: allowed Robinson cross in front of him again and would have been a tap in bar a deflection on cross
    16 minutes: simple through ball from O’Shea got caught between his legs flicking it on to left winger resulting in dangerous chance
    83 minutes: more of a collective defensive issue, terrible defending from free kick with multiple WB players having a potential free header, Bartley messed it up. Masterson was at the right edge of box; not the place for a centre back. Defending from set pieces has been an Achilles heal of QPR all season, so partly related to coaching as well.

Many weaknesses that I see (concentration, strength, agility) are imminently addressable to some extent and certainly experience will improve him. He does have an excellent attitude by all accounts and he will hopefully work hard to address these in off season and beyond. His first half performance is why I feel the way I do about him longer term, but I’ll be happy to be proved wrong. Hindsight is 20/20, but he stayed with the Liverpool reserves too long.

His approach to next season is crucial. Personally, I think he should work as hard as he can from tomorrow, see how preseason goes and see how many centre backs QPR bring in. I just can’t see him being fully backed for next season going on recent performances and QPR’s aspirations. He should then clarify with Warburton early if he’s first choice or now. If he’s not, then he should go to league one on loan until Christmas ASAP. He should not stay if squad player. He needs as many first team games as possible next season
    He needs a decent centre back to learn his trade from and he certainly won't find that at QPR. They have been shocking defensively since the restart.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast