Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Switzerland 25th March & Slovakia 29th March 2016 - Friendlies

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Just read it there - Alan Browne too I see. That's a very good plan. He dismissed any notion of negotiation with Delaney, saying he's 35 and Shane Duffy isn't! At least he's off to Wembley.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Not a bad squad selection, even if it an O'Neill 100-man special.

Guys like Green and Cox are not going to the Euros barring a major injury crisis, but it keeps things interesting for younger players coming in who do have a chance to impress. They may not make the Euros but Forrester, Doherty, Hayes et al have a chance to set down a marker. Clearly they've impressed when he's seen him, and that's why they get a call up.

And if a Carruthers, Mason or anyone else feel hard done by, at least they know there's a manager keeping an eye out who will call on those who impress. Ditto Jack Byrne, who I think was involved in training with the squad previously too.

Decent balance between exposing some to the international setup and focusing minds ahead of the tournament.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just read it there - Alan Browne too I see. That's a very good plan. He dismissed any notion of negotiation with Delaney, saying he's 35 and Shane Duffy isn't! At least he's off to Wembley.
    Too late for Delaney - I've a certain amount of sympathy over the lack of opportunity, but you can't retire for the qualifiers and un-retire for the tournament. Talk about cynical.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I agree totally SvD but has he actually un-retired? Or is that just based on Pardew & Dann's comments?

Maybe he's just being polite with Cox and Green inclusions, guys who were included in these squad/extended squads since the start, and will probably be dropped totally after this campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    I don't see what he had to lose in calling up any two of Mason, E. Doyle or Madden. Keane, Long, Walters and Murphy are the realistic striking options, one of whom might not even travel. Doyle, Stokes and Cox are the other three called up for this trip, one of whom also may not travel from US, one of whom is desperately short of match practice and playing in an atrocious league, and one is Simon Cox.

McGoldrick & Rooney would have been the ones in the frame to capitalise if places up front were to become available. Why not give the shot to Mason, Red Doyle or Madden?

They'd have plenty of chance to impress. Keane, Murphy and Walters are all well in to their thirties and you don't want to overexpose Long.

Ridiculous too calling up Forde when Stephen Henderson has been playing regularly for Charlton.

http://the42.ie/martin-oneill-damien...55864-Mar2016/

Critical opinion piece on Delaney situation.

I don't get the people saying Delaney's ability is being overemphasized just because he's been left out or he shouldn't be considered because he didn't play in qualification.

You pick your best players. O'Shea, Clark and Wilson are having dreadful seasons. He is better than Keogh. Duffy hasn't participated in qualifying. Nor has McShane.

He is the only PL defender emerging with any kind of credit. If O'Shea gets injured before summer, you want Delaney in there leading beside Keogh or one of the other two.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,095 Posts
    I agree totally SvD but has he actually un-retired? Or is that just based on Pardew & Dann's comments?

Maybe he's just being polite with Cox and Green inclusions, guys who were included in these squad/extended squads since the start, and will probably be dropped totally after this campaign.
    Big time. For all we know these lads are the David Mays of the squad and they pull extremely well with everyone and I'm not sure what would be gained by calling up someone equally unlikely to make the cut. Are they that much worse than the alternatives? OK, Green is in there. But Gleeson and Forrester are being afforded extended squat spots too. Rooney's injury gives Cox a mention in the extended squad but what are the alternatives? There are no young strikers or consistently good Championship performers to take his spot.

Re Delaney, SvD summed it up above. And, I don't think he's un-retired himself at all. Presumably, he'd have sought some reassurances to un-retire himself and then we're going around in roundabouts, are we not?

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts

Maybe not, though it seems it was being suggested he would by others. Sound like a bit of a fishing expedition.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    I don't see what he had to lose in calling up any two of Mason, E. Doyle or Madden. Keane, Long, Walters and Murphy are the realistic striking options, one of whom might not even travel. Doyle, Stokes and Cox are the other three called up for this trip, one of whom also may not travel from US, one of whom is desperately short of match practice and playing in an atrocious league, and one is Simon Cox.

McGoldrick & Rooney would have been the ones in the frame to capitalise if places up front were to become available. Why not give the shot to Mason, Red Doyle or Madden?

They'd have plenty of chance to impress. Keane, Murphy and Walters are all well in to their thirties and you don't want to overexpose Long.

Ridiculous too calling up Forde when Stephen Henderson has been playing regularly for Charlton.

I don't get the people saying Delaney's ability is being overemphasized just because he's been left out or he shouldn't be considered because he didn't play in qualification.

You pick your best players. O'Shea, Clark and Wilson are having dreadful seasons. He is better than Keogh. Duffy hasn't participated in qualifying. Nor has McShane.

He is the only PL defender emerging with any kind of credit. If O'Shea gets injured before summer, you want Delaney in there leading beside Keogh or one of the other two.
    The problem generally with this type of thinking is that it suggests picking a squad is simply a case of picking who's been in good form for the past month, and sticking them in, or just throwing caps/opportunities out - but that says nothing for the art of building a united, well-oiled squad who understand the motivations/instructions of the manager and can respond to them almost intuitively.

This squad has slowly come together after grafting through the qualifiers, growing in confidence and spirit throughout. Martin O'Neill's challenge is to enhance that confidence and spirit with fresh, deserving players while also balancing loyalty to players he trust. This process is even more crucial when it comes to picking 23 players who'll be travelling together in the intense environment of tournament play.

I fear your approach would risk dismantling that spirit entirely. Players need to trust the manager and vice versa, trust earned through hard work on the training ground and in games. That trust gets damaged when you lose someone for a young player who likely won't go to the Euros or (worse) a guy who wasn't bothered turning up at all.

This isn't about Cox or Green - I'm talking about the likes of Clark, Keogh and McGeady even, guys who've made big contributions and have proven themselves to be crucual for Martin O'Neill, even if their club situation isn't ideal.

And, while I would argue all day that Delaney's ability is a bit overstated, the fact that he wasn't willing to fight for a place and knuckle down like everyone else automatically rules him out. What would it say to the players if a manager was willing to overlook someone like Clark or Keogh for a guy who wasn't up for scrapping on the training ground for a place like everyone else?

You might argue it's tough cheddar, form wins out - but, like I say, it's not a simple, analytical choice. Personality, spirit, confidence and trust are all key factors here too. Bringing Delaney on board at this late stage would be a kick in the teeth for almost everyone.

10. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post

Henderson won't be within an arse's roar of the senior squad as long as Seamus McDonagh is there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    What's that about CD?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What's that about CD?
    They had a run-in at some stage. He's been overlooked for squads when playing regularly and no other Irish goalkeeper was getting a game.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Wasn't he on the bench for Bosnia?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Indeed he was, for both legs. Think Charlie may be wide of the mark on this one?

South London Press - Stephen Henderson: Republic of Ireland spot at Euro 2016 would be massive for me

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Henderson
    I got a good response from the goalkeeping coach [Seamus McDonagh]. He rang me when I got back and told me to keep doing what I’m doing.
    He said that by the time Ireland go to France you never know - because I’m the only one playing at the moment.
    It is a good chance to kick on this season. In the last three years they have had goalkeepers they have stuck with all the time. Regardless of my performances I wasn’t really getting called up.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Charlie can read between lines.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Or I can read what his father and uncle say.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Or both, don't play down your potential.

and fwiw, if one does have a regard for synchronicity, I'm just about to watch Rectify S2 Ep03 entitled Charlie Darwin.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Paul O'Shea always said I was an episode of Rectify waiting to happen.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'm confused (nothing new there says you)... was it before or after B&H that they said he wouldn't be within an arses roar of the senior squad while McDonagh is there? Do they post on a forum or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    MON said he's only seen Forrester play once (not sure if he means in person) but has got some good reports.
    Was Martin referring to the 2014 FAI Cup final in which he saw Forrester play or has he seen him since then for Peterborough?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    He didn't elaborate really, but I get the impression that it was a Peterborough game, possibly even on TV. I reckon it was probably either that West Brom game or maybe he went and watched him on the back of that. The first audio link here is what I heard.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    If that is the case, he's watched him play at least twice and not even realised it.

Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast