Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 61 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 2218

Thread: Andy Reid(b 1982)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    When did we start growing mentalists for fans? The internet has a lot to answer for!

(as well as a lot of answers for...)

The Mona Lisa is more in the frame than Andy Ried
    Last edited by blobbyblob; 15/10/2009 at 11:53 AM.
    Who is this guy, Trapper Tony?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Latest from Football 365 on the subject.....

Don`t Make Fatty Reid Into Martyr...
    The They Might Be Giants track 'I've no one to blame but my fat self' should be a song to resonate with Andy Reid and his acolytes. The growing view touted around elements of the Irish media and among some fans that Giovanni Trapattoni's cold-shouldering of the Sunderland man is more based on vindictiveness than any football logic, is both ill-thought out and unfair on the Italian.

That Reid is some kind of victim is an increasingly seductive argument given the rather unbeautiful football being played by Trapp's Ireland in this qualifying campaign (On Saturday night, Eamon Dunphy went so far as to call Ireland's display shameful, adding that there would be real Irish football fans in tears after such a performance).

The logic sees to be that an Irish side that has taken a functional, pragmatic approach to an unlovely extreme would surely benefit from the wit and vision of the Mackem schemer. Surely the talented, incisive Reid could fill the considerable hole left by the self-imposed exile of Ireland's most talented player, Stephen Ireland, and turn draws into victories? All the more so now that the player has reinvented himself in a manner surely to have drawn admiring glances from the marketing team behind Weight Watchers.

But to follow this line is to suggest that the great Italian manager is guilty of a serious lack of professionalism both in terms of his judgement and treatment of the player. But if a light is to be shone on anyone's professional outlook and capabilities, then it should be directed at Reid himself and not at the manager of the Republic of Ireland.

While Reid's new slimline look does him credit, as do his recent performances for his club, it also serves to reinforce the main criticism made over the years of the midfielder, namely that he was too overweight to be taken seriously.

The fact now that he has shed so much weight goes to prove that for the vast majority of his career, Reid's attitude to his own physique has been unprofessional in the extreme. No longer can the argument be made that Reid was just built that way - that we should have accepted his rotundness because that was just the way he was. We now know the truth.

If, as is suggested, Trapattoni's opinion of Reid went south after some late-night revelry by the midfielder while on Ireland duty, allied to the Italian's concerns over the player's physical shape and work rate, then it is hard not to side with the manager in having question marks over Reid's professionalism and approach.

Those who have supported Reid's claims even before the obvious improvements in his conditioning would do well to consider such issues when pushing for his reselection to the squad. Reid's exile was his own fault, nobody else's. The diminutive midfielder still has an awful lot to prove to Trapattoni, and while his efforts over the summer should be saluted, weight loss and a good start to the season are not enough to repair his image in the Italian's eyes.

What Reid now needs to do is to show that his remodelling is for keeps. He must maintain both his form and his physical conditioning. Doing both will show that he is a reformed, serious character. And importantly for his Ireland prospects, it will show to Trapattoni that he has learned the harsh lessons of being omitted from the Ireland squad. If he can do this, then Trapattoni should reward his efforts.

This does not mean that the Italian should reshape his system to accommodate the midfielder - but the onus would be on the veteran coach to at least explain to Reid that there will be times in the future where his ability will be required to aid the Irish cause, and thereby welcome him back to the fold.

Carrot and stick can work for Reid. Trapp's stick seems to have shaken Reid's laid-back approach to the game that has held him back from realising his real potential. Dangling a carrot now could reinforce the message to the benefit of the player, the squad, the fans and indeed the manager. After all, as Reid has shown in recreating himself - he's no longer averse to the healthy option.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    our 4 wide players
    Duff
    McGeady
    Hunt
    Lawerence

Is Reid significantly better than any of those?

He won't play centrally for Ireland under Trapp because his game is not suited, he wants battlers in the middle and pace/trickery out wide, neither is really Reids forte.
    I personally would have him in the squad for occasions when we need a goal & you could chuck him in behind the front 2 like Keane did in Bari, but c'est la vie, it's hardly the end of the world.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    our 4 wide players
    Duff
    McGeady
    Hunt
    Lawerence

Personally I dont think so,they all offer somthing that Reid doesnt have. Also Hunt and Lawerence have been excellent in their set piece delivery over the last two games.

Being left out of the squad could be the best thing thats ever happened to Reid, if he's shown this much improvement in a few months who knows how good he could be by next summer. Its just a pity someone didn't light a fire under him years ago.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    our 4 wide players
    Duff
    McGeady
    Hunt
    Lawerence

He won't play centrally for Ireland under Trapp because his game is not suited, he wants battlers in the middle and pace/trickery out wide, neither is really Reids forte.
    I personally would have him in the squad for occasions when we need a goal & you could chuck him in behind the front 2 like Keane did in Bari, but c'est la vie, it's hardly the end of the world.
    Its a pity 1 or 2 of those do not have out and out pace as this would keep the opposition defences much more on there toes and maybe take a bit of pressure off our midfield. With just two midfielders in there they have a lot of work to do which is why Trap likes workers in there.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Another assist for Andy Reid in the first half against Liverpool.

On current form, he's one of the best left wingers in the English Premier League, but yet Trap says he would just about make the top 40 of Irish players

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carrigaline View Post
    Another assist for Andy Reid in the first half against Liverpool.

On current form, he's one of the best left wingers in the English Premier League, but yet Trap says he would just about make the top 40 of Irish players
    Soccer Saturday said something along the lines of "new record for most games with consecutive assists". I think the number they said was 9 but I'm not sure. I'll do some research

Its not 9 anyway, he's only played 9 games. 5 consecutively in the league.
    Last edited by Closed Account; 17/10/2009 at 3:59 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    The baloon should get the assist instead of reid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSOorkAqSqw
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    he played "ok" overall, gave the ball away a few times and tried to pull off the hard pass a few times with it not working out, more often than not. Im not even sure if i would credit Reid with the assist. It was a deflected cross which fell into the path of Bent who hit it off a beachball/balloon which deflected it past Reina...

DELIGHTED that Liverpool lost again by the way... they proved today they are no more than a two man team.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    You're right Stu, Reid won't be credited for that assist.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Bruce drops a few revelations about the Andy and Trap divorce.

Trap, Andy and the idle olive branch

Bruce concedes he has not been asked to help soothe a clearly tetchy relationship between what he tellingly terms the ‘warring parties’.

But when pressed, Bruce suggests it is perhaps his player and not the manager who should be offering an olive branch in an effort to help thaw the frosty relationship that has followed a reported falling out in the wake of the World Cup qualifier against Georgia last September.

Since that point Reid, a regular under Steve Staunton, has not added to his collection of 27 caps.

"Whether Andy feels there’s an apology owing, you’ll have to ask him," Bruce said. "There’s obviously been a fall-out, that’s for sure, and whether that’s going to repair you’ll have to ask the warring parties.

"If I was asked my opinion then I’d give it to Mr Trapattoni or to Andy, but I believe there’s got to be an apology maybe somewhere because I think that’s what it boils down to."

Bruce added: "I can only go from personal experience, but he’s done fantastically well since I’ve been here. It’s not my job to pick the Irish national team but all he can do is to keep playing for us the way he has and keep that debate going."

Bruce admitted Reid’s weight had been an issue at club level.

"I know for a fact he’s never felt better. He’s now performing week-in, week-out. We all knew he had ability, but physically we all used to look at him and think ‘it’s not right is it?’

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    The baloon should get the assist instead of reid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSOorkAqSqw
    In days gone by, it was hard to tell the difference between Reid and a balloon

Also that video has been removed from youtube.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Out of all our possible opponents Andy Reid is more suited to the French style of play than any other. Has to be called up now IMO.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    Out of all our possible opponents Andy Reid is more suited to the French style of play than any other. Has to be called up now IMO.
    Explain your reasoning... because I don't necessarily agree with you that he's most suited to France.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Balls, that was the difference between me going to second in work fantasy league. Feckin beach ball....
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rambler14 View Post
    I'd argue the opposite, the way to beat France is to batter them with high balls & snuff out Henry & Ribery (& Benzema if he plays)
    It's a job for Caleb Folan up front with Keane coming from deeper.
    Lawrence on the right to give support to the full back (hopefully Finnan) with Duff doing a similar job on the left with O'Shea or Kilbane if O'Shea partners Dunne in the centre.

This might not be for the purists but we can be all fancy smancy once we get there, we will not qualify trying to out "play" the French.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I'd argue the opposite, the way to beat France is to batter them with high balls & snuff out Henry & Ribery (& Benzema if he plays)
    It's a job for Caleb Folan up front with Keane coming from deeper.
    Lawrence on the right to give support to the full back (hopefully Finnan) with Duff doing a similar job on the left with O'Shea or Kilbane if O'Shea partners Dunne in the centre.

This might not be for the purists but we can be all fancy smancy once we get there, we will not qualify trying to out "play" the French.
    I would definetely go down the Stoke route for these two games. With the added bonus of having McGeady keeping Ribery as close to home as is possible.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I reckon Trap will assess how the game is going, as he did in Bari, before deciding whether to launch big Caleb or not.

If Doyle and Keane are getting no change from the French defence on the floor, then it might be a chance for Folan. But I doubt it will be before half time and unless we are 1 - 0 down.

The good thing about Ireland under Trap is we are developing a number of attacking options. Lawrence from setpieces, Folan and the high ball, Whelan and long range shots, among other options.

We are not just limited to Robbie Keane being our main attacking outlet as in previous campaigns which is pretty easy to deal with for opposing defenders. Bring in Reid and let him pass it to Doyle or Keane? Again easy to deal with for defenders. We had Reid before in the team and we didn't set the world alight.

I can't seeing us going 180 minutes without scoring once at least.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 19/10/2009 at 4:43 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post

I can't seeing us going 180 minutes without scoring once at least.
    Spot on.

I think if we can concentrate at the back for 180 mins we have a chance.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Two words: Roberto Baggio.

Before the 2002 World Cup, there was a concerted campaign in the Italian media for Trap to recall Baggio for the Italian World Cup squad. At the time, Baggio was playing out of his skin for Brescia, even recovering from injury in record time trying to make it to Japan/Korea.

It was all to no avail. Baggio was not picked. When Trap makes up his mind, he sticks to his decision no matter what. If the far more powerful Italian press can't persuade Trap to change his mind, the Irish press are hardly likely to be more successful. And if Trap is willing to make do without a player of the calibre of Roberto Baggio...

Page 61 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast