Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Reid(b 1982)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drinkfeckarse View Post
    Fair point but is it coincidence that his better performance have come when he has looked in reasonable shape? I don't know about anyone else but there were times when I thought he looked noticably bigger than other times.

Anyway it's been done to death, at the end of the day he's a very good player for us who should be in the team when fit never mind the squad.
    Fair point but is it alos a coincidence that his bad form occured after injury

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Does anyone know if Reid has made any comments to the press about not being included in the squad?
    Did you ever notice that in every painting of Adam & Eve, they have belly buttons. Think about that...take as long as you want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeNiro View Post
    Any mention of any dropouts from squad that might allow Reid to get in? There's no doubt he should be there in the first place!

if i was Reid I'd tell staunton to stick his team up his b oll*x

He wont have to spend long in the wilderness anyway because that clown will be gone soon

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strangeirish View Post
    Does anyone know if Reid has made any comments to the press about not being included in the squad?
    HAven't heard anything, but he's hardly likely to say anything negative about it, it would only be giving Staunton a reason to not include him in the next squad
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts

Andy Reid

I only saw 35 mins of the first half of Charlton's game last night. Promising showing from Reid I thought given his lack of match fitness.

He rarely took his man on but was accurate in his passing. His first touch was good and he showed that crucial awareness when receiving the ball. He played wide left but frequently drifted inside, finding space regularly.

He gave the ball away only once that I saw, was a little slow to track back a couple of times and two corners didn't clear the first defender.

He had one great shot from distance which only narrowly went wide.

Anyone see the second half?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I didn't see the match but he was booked for a tackle in the 92nd minute after chasing back which is encouraging.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    he really is a sublime passer of the ball. he's just one of those players that will more than likely end up playing for ireland in a position where he really doesnt feel comfortable. he's no winger thats for sure.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I watched the 2nd half and also kept an eye on Reidy- having watched him a lot for Forest he is slowly showing glimpses of his class. Fingers crossed he gets back to full fitness and proving the critics wrong. Reidy was never a player who'd chase lost causes so always appeared lazy (he always had a bit of weight on him as well and the missus would call him umpa lumpa boy but what does she know??!!!) but he is very quick in possession of the ball, and his passing stands out from the rest if he gets into his groove.

Last night his control was spot on, his passing and switch of play went well and I only remember him wasting one free kick with 5 or so minutes left. If he stays clear of injury then Charlton will rely of his goals this season.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    What's with his weight / general fitness? Has he worked on that since he left Spurs or is it still an issue?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet View Post
    What's with his weight / general fitness? Has he worked on that since he left Spurs or is it still an issue?
    Sadly I think he's destined to go through life as one of the 'fatboys' and no matter what he does, his fitness will never be what it should be for a premiership/international footballer.

He was wrecked after 25 minutes last night, but fair play, he kept on til the end.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    He has the ability but not the application, Spurs were desperate for a left sided player but let Reid go because he is a fat, lazy, wasterel.... allegedly

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    I took a good look at Reid at the Czech game. At times he was only yards away from me. I really am not sure he's carrying fat. His chest is almost over developed from weights and his jersey hangs loose as a result.

Anyone who saw him as a teenager will have thought he has all the skill but not the size to make it. My guess is he's beefed up in the gym to compensate for this.

His match fitness is another issue entirely & that will only come if he stays injury free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It's impossible to be "fat" at a premiership club in this day and age and expect to get your game. ffs I have a weighing scales here in the house that can measure the percentage of fat, muscle and water in your body correct to 1 decimal place. As Stutts said, match fitness is another issue. If John Hayes can get through 80 minutes I'm sure Reid will be fine.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    He has the ability but not the application, Spurs were desperate for a left sided player but let Reid go because he is a fat, lazy, wasterel.... allegedly
    I don't know if he fat but he certainly does not have the pace or stamina that is expected of a top class player. He is better than McGeady but I cannot remember the last time he lasted 90 minutes of international football.
    http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    857 Posts
    i watched him lastnight and thought his passing was a notch or two above anyone else out there, his speed of thought when on it allied to his vision when picking the pass, and the ability to hit passes at angles which other players didnt/couldnt was impressive.

he was lacking legs though, wheather or not he is carrying weight or not, is he enough of an athlete for a prem midfield career?

im begining to think his game might be suited to a slower paced league, Spanish perhaps?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    I thought he played well last night. Hit the post with one shot from outside the box. Looked Charlton's most dangerous player. He was still chasing back at the end of the game but made one woeful tackle and got booked for it. We would have to surround him wth tacklers like Carsley and Douglas. Come to think of it thats not a bad idea. The good thing about Reid is he does carry a goal threat. Takes good free kicks and corners. And even though I thought he was off the pace against the Czechs that was due to lack of match fitness. I would definetely play him against San Marino. A very good judge of players Harry Rednapp tried to sign him before he went to Spurs. What I liked about his performance last night was his commitment. He chased and kept himself involved the whole time.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 17/10/2006 at 12:08 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Doyles fitness permitting I think Keane will play that Deep lying role. Reid occupied for the swiss game. I think we have to make room for him in the middle but I wouldn't play him, Duff and Mgeady in the same mid field four.

I think Reid is unique in the Ireland squad in what he has to offer so I'd actually play Reid and Duff either side of any two from Carsley/Douglas/SReid and the like. There was a period under Kerr were they were switching wings to good effect.

I'd introduce McGeady depending on how they're coping with Duff.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    How about playing duff behind the striker (Doyle or Keane)? With Andy Reid and McGeady on the wings and two water carriers from Carsley, Douglas, Reid, Kilbane etc.
    Would playing Duff in the middle when he is being double marked be more effective?
    Ive been thinking about it, when you are stuck up against the side-line double-marking is very effective denying u space, perhaps playing him in the middle might free him up a bit giving him options left and right.
    When he is on the left-side and is double marked he only has two options really, try to take on the player on the touchline where he will be covered by the second marker or else pass inside to the right.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Robbie Keane is at his best when he is playing in the role behind the striker. But I honestly don't think we could facilitate Duff, McGeady, A Reid, Doyle and Robbie Keane in the same starting eleven.

I could see possibly McGeady and Duff flanking Doyle, ah la chelsea last year, in Robbie Keanes absence, or I'm sure there's other tactical possibitlities depending on availibility.

But all available and fit in a first eleven, I think its leaves us a soft team. You have to balance the attacking/progressive players with a bit of graft and metal outside the back four. Carsley will graft but he won't clock up the miles during a game. An Oul pre-world cup colin healy wouldn't go amiss for me. Or maybe the player Steven Reid has the potential to be but still falls woefully short for my liking.

Brady said after the czech game the Wenger told him that the French expected a war when the played here last year, and never got it. Douglas and Carsley re-affirmed something I believe in last wednesday by there physical presence. I'm curious as to see what the B internationals have to offer in terms of midfeild "donkeys", outside of Douglas, Kavanagh etc.(Assuming Carsley is the main man and we're looking for a partner)
    Last edited by dr_peepee; 18/10/2006 at 11:19 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Reid looked good on MOTD last night.

Page 11 of 111 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast