Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: article in sunday tribune

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

article in sunday tribune

what yous think of paul howards article in tribune - generally just saying how Ireland has lost it's perspective on what sport means in Ireland etc

he talks a fair bit about the lack of atmosphere at Lansdowne too - puts it down to different reasons but mentions the fact that the players have lost touch with the fans

"...most supporters will tell you that it's far less fun following this team than any team of the past. They used to know all the characters......"

Robbie Keane actually gets a special mention for not doing media interviews etc unless theres a good price.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    This has too be a wind-up right??,I'm glad I don't read that paper,the journalist sounds like a right muppet.Why does he want "characters" on a football team.Would he rather we read about Duffer going down Burdocks for a fish supper the night before a game and then for a half of Guinness with the "fans" or about the proper preparations a professional squad should take.Is he any relation to Jack I wonder?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oconghc2

"...most supporters will tell you that it's far less fun following this team than any team of the past. They used to know all the characters......"
    I doubt if this guy has spoken to "most supporters" . Anyone I know thinks winning is the best fun to be had.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was watching a video of Ireland's qualifying matches for the 1990 World Cup a few weeks ago - the atmosphere at Lansdowne Road for those matches was noticably different.....the fans genuinely did seem to be enjoying themselves far more than they have done at any recent matches I remember.

I'm not sure about it being all the players' faults though - I think it's a lot more complicated than that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't think this issue has anything to do with the players. If you go down to watch them train in Malahide they'ill take pictures have a chat and sign autographs. There is however a problem is with how the FAI are selling football to the Fans. Football itself not only the Irish team and its 'Characters' have changed beyond recognition from the Charlton days and yet the FAI has not. It can't get to grips with this change and therefore the fans are missing out. Anyhoo the Tribune along with the Herald are muck so theres no point in getting worked up by what those muppets have to say...

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    This bloke's right. Sure I used to drink with the lads in many a foreign flea pit before the big games. Only reason they were picked to play instead of me was that I locked myself in the khasi. FFS, there's a reason for the sh*te atmosphere at Lansdowne Road and it's got sweet FAIreland(TM) to do with whether we rub shoulders in pub bogs with the players.
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    I think in the older days eg 1990 World Cup there was a novelty factor there.We weren't expected to qualify for World Cups.I was about 13 then and I remember the school finishing early for the Ireland games as we had no floodlights so games were played on midweek afternoons.The terraces were packed behind the goals at Lansdowne Road especially for the Spain game.I watched it on tv and the atmosphere was great.Now we are kind of expected to qualify for World Cups.Also ticket prices and all seater stadiums have affected the atmosphere as noisier,younger fans can't get or afford tickets now.You'll hear English premiership clubs fans saying the same as well.