Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro 2016 - now we've qualified

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    d) What is the solution at left back ?
    There is two ways to answer that - what isn't and what is....
    What isn't is Marc Wilson, Ciaran Clarke or John O'Shea.
    What is, can be answered a few ways:
    • A) Persist with Ward: very open to abuse
    • B) Persist with Brady: still cagey defensively, but changes the dynamic of the team playing from deep. Natural attacking instincts means the team is not as lop-sided with Coleman pushing on the right.
    • C) Develop Greg Cunningham.Accept his level, and work on him.
    • D) Change system to 3-3-3-1. Employ three cb's (any from O'Shea, Keogh, Clark, Wilson, Duffy), employ Brady & Coleman as wb's and then work from there.
    I think a huge factor in the left-back conundrum is the fact O'Neill has decided on more or less his best midfield and it doesn't feature any wingers. In that light, you need either Brady or Ward at left-back because, as you mentioned, it gives balance when you've got little other natural width. Like them as LBs or not, they're both quick and naturally athletic, like Coleman, where Wilson or Clark aren't really.

2. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    The old adage of never changing a winning team, or picking your best players? Keogh to me never looks too far away from a calamity, but he's been good the past two months for us. I'm a big fan of Clark. I think both have been central to us not hoofing the ball away blindly as much, with both looking to involve full backs and midfielders as their preferred first option. I don't think leadership is as much of a problem with this squad, hence O'Shea not needing to come back immediately.
    I really would like to see Duffy given some game time in the friendlies.
    h) You name more.....
    I'd like to see him really overhaul the fringe elements of his enlargened provisional squad before the Euro's. The reason for this is due to the WC group we're in. It's a huge opportunity for us to get to two tournaments in a row, or 3 out of 4. A point in Belgrade, the double-header against the communist states, and a point in Vienna sets us up very nicely for the visit of Wales in March 2017. It's relevant because there are precious little friendly dates left for trying out these players. We've the Swiss in march - surely one more game will be added there. Then possibly another two in the run up to the Euro's, followed by one just before the Serbia game in September. Not too much time.

The likes of Duffy, Cunningham, Arter, Judge, mccarey, Henderson, Egan possibly, Doherty, Carruthers, Forrester all merit a look in the next while. Dare I mention Bamford?

I don't see why he should include the likes of McShane, Pilkington, Cox, etc when we have other options that are untested.
    Excellent point and represents my biggest gripe with our management team at present. In general, the team selection has been pragmatic and effective. I'm not Murphy's biggest fan but he serves a purpose. Furthermore, the substitutions are quite positive and McClean and Long are really suited to being brought in as early impact players.

So, while the team is being developed, I don't think the squad is being developed and there is a hesitance to involve young players in the squad. This is in spite of the fact that MON has really bedded in Brady and Hendrick as nailed-on starters this year. All the names above are probably relevant and I've named a few more myself who could do with being involved. An example on this front would be- why do we persist with Adam Rooney in extended squads when he's never going to be involved and Joe Mason sits at home on his hands?

Also, now that we've qualified, who could do with a move in January?
    1. If Randolph doesn't get more games at West Ham then maybe his agent could make the most of his improved profile resulting from the last few matches. Given that he was doing well in the Championship, it's hard to see where his next move could be for. Abroad?
    2. Not exactly paramount that Judge moves in January as we've selected Championship players enough of times but if he gets regular PL games in the second half of the season then he'll really put himself in contention.
    3. McGeady, goes without saying. Anywhere. Championship wouldn't suit him so any top division anywhere.
    4. What of Robbie Keane going on one last loan to try and put himself in the picture before the Euros? Stranger things have happened. Proving himself in the PL again on a short-term loan would go a long way. Remember his loan to Villa in 2012? He was hardly dropped for 3 years after. Unlikely though.
    5. Josh Cullen to the Championship on loan? Pre-season progress has stalled at West Ham. Difficult to see how a 6 month impact would push him into the plans but he seems to be almost standout for the under 21's of late.

There are a few players that moving to the PL might make a big difference for and some who getting into the first team frame might make a difference for but these are big ifs. They would have to be McClean-style bolters for 2012 but who knows? That wasn't expected either. Richie Towell moving to the Championship or PL and blazing a trail like McClean and Doyle looks most obvious for me.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Not altogether seeing what Elliot has done to merit a place in as many people's squads as he has done. Granted, we don't great choice in keepers with Randolph (has done well - but has gone from a regular the last five seasons to a bench-warmer this season), Westwood (performing very well for Wednesday by all accounts, but not getting a look in at all for country), Given (hasn't really let us down since his return, but not getting his game at club level is an obvious concern), Elliot (4/5 games a season not enough to prepare for a major finals) and Forde (not getting his game in the third flight)

Worth noting Keane is actually having his best season for the LA Galaxy (25 goals in 27 games). The MLS isn't a great standard, but I think there's no question but that Keane is worth his place in the squad.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Ireland have hugely benefited from this being a 24 team tournament in France. Apart from the fact that they would have been eliminated already under the old system where just two teams qualify, the group stages in next summer's tournament will eliminate just eight teams from twenty four. And, as we all know, in the knockout stages 'anything can happen'. I think we were incredibly fortunate to qualify, but I think the pressure is off now, and we might actually do quite well. O'Neill might even begin to trust his players to play a bit of football. I don't think we'll repeat the failing of four years ago.
    There's quite a while to go until next summer - some new players may emerge to state their case for inclusion. Great servants though they've been, sentimental reasons would be the only criteria to bring Keane and Given to France.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    I think we were incredibly fortunate to qualify
    really? we finished 3 pts ahead of next placed Scotland in our group taking 4 pts off the world champions along the way. we came within a late Richard Keogh header of qualifying automatically. we then well beat the highest ranked team in the play-offs. we were also the only non seeded team to come through the play-offs. some great fortune there ok!

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Yeah, agree with that.

We were looking highly unlikely to qualify at the mid-way stage, but we did come through the group with (effectively) a game to spare. But that's not incredibly fortunate; that's just football.

Yes, there were some last-minute goals in there, Georgia beating Scotland was a huge lift (neither of which was incredibly fortunate), and we scored goals against Scotland at home, Poland away and Bosnia at home which were either offside/handball or never penalties, which was the only part which was incredibly fortunate.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    really? we finished 3 pts ahead of next placed Scotland in our group taking 4 pts off the world champions along the way. we came within a late Richard Keogh header of qualifying automatically. we then well beat the highest ranked team in the play-offs. we were also the only non seeded team to come through the play-offs. some great fortune there ok!
    I agree with you which is why it annoys me when people say Jack's team was fortunate to qualify for Euro 88 when Scotland won in Bulgaria. The fact is that Bulgaria were not good enough to beat Scotland and thus finished with less points than us. Scotland were not good enough to beat Georgia this time and finished with less points than us. That's football as pineapple stu says.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Lot of people saying we wouldn't have gotten through if it wasn't a 24 team tournament - which is true - but if it was a case of only the top two going through, would the Poland game have been different? We went into that game with a play off spot guaranteed, so there wasn't the same pressure. Had we needed a win, or a draw, to stay involved, it would have been a very different game.

Few mentioned of Towell, Byrne, etc being late additions to the squad. Just remember - Andy Reid is due back in a few weeks!
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Not altogether seeing what Elliot has done to merit a place in as many people's squads as he has done. Granted, we don't great choice in keepers with Randolph (has done well - but has gone from a regular the last five seasons to a bench-warmer this season), Westwood (performing very well for Wednesday by all accounts, but not getting a look in at all for country), Given (hasn't really let us down since his return, but not getting his game at club level is an obvious concern), Elliot (4/5 games a season not enough to prepare for a major finals) and Forde (not getting his game in the third flight)
    For a tournament I don't know how important it is to be playing games. There will be a break after the season with plenty of friendlies. By the time the 1st game comes around I don't think having been 1st choice for ones club offers any significant advantage. But even at that Elliott is likely to play 30 Premier League games between now and then with Tim Krul out for the rest of the season.
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Thing will Elliot is he's 29 and has only played 150 games in his career. In the past five years, it's just 24 games. I just don't see that he's that great an option for us. And I know there's no real stand-out option at present.

Didn't realise Krul was out for the season; that might change things alright. Unless Newcastle get a replacement in on loan - or start Darlow, the other sub keeper, when he comes back from injury.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    490 Posts
    Elliott had a worldie the other day against Bournemouth, so he should be safe enough for now. If you can find them it would be worth having a look at the highlights. He mad a string of top class saves.

http://www.espnfc.com/club/afc-bourn...ies-lose-again
    Bring Back Belfast Celtic F.C.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Highlights here -

A couple of good saves alright!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Kingdom, isn't Wales also a communist state? That bird with the lovely accent REALLY hates the Tories. I suppose you could be a moderate fascist and hate the Tories though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Just remember - Andy Reid is due back in a few weeks!
    He completely slipped my mind. Hopefully, he can play himself back into contention.

Roy Keane said Arter and Juge will be given opportunities to impress, whilst players like McGeady, Gibson and Pearce need to think about getting more game-time at either their present clubs or new clubs: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...quad-1.2433826

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He completely slipped my mind. Hopefully, he can play himself back into contention.

Roy Keane said Arter and Juge will be given opportunities to impress, whilst players like McGeady, Gibson and Pearce need to think about getting more game-time at either their present clubs or new clubs: http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/socc...quad-1.2433826
    I think Andy Reid's days in an Ireland jersey are over. I could be wrong and hope i am because I'm a big fan but surely it's too late for him
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    It's relevant because there are precious little friendly dates left for trying out these players. We've the Swiss in march - surely one more game will be added there. Then possibly another two in the run up to the Euro's, followed by one just before the Serbia game in September. Not too much time.
    Is the Switzerland game on March 25th the only scheduled friendly at present? It's not actually on the FAI website's fixture list, nor is it mentioned on Sky or the BBC.

Any worth in a 'B' friendly to have a better look at peripheral players?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    It's on FIFA's calendar!

It absolutely is worth having a B Friendly. I'd have a few of them myself to be honest.

Westwood
    Christie Duffy Pearce Cunningham

Arter Gibson Byrne

Bamford Mason Judge
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Hard to see what you'd learn about Gibson, Westwood or Christie from a B game. Surely you'd use it to identify alternatives rather than confirm what you know. Might as well throw McGeady in as Gibson.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    You wouldn't learn much about Westwood, but you would have started a relationship between the should-be starting keeper, and possibly starting centre-back for the next campaign. The reason I'd put Gibson in the middle of the pitch, would be as glue for the other newbies to keep some order.

Systems and partnerships, that's all.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

26. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post

Yes, there were some last-minute goals in there, Georgia beating Scotland was a huge lift (neither of which was incredibly fortunate), and we scored goals against Scotland at home, Poland away and Bosnia at home which were either offside/handball or never penalties, which was the only part which was incredibly fortunate.
    That's quite a LARGE part, though. As someone who remembers the incredible bad luck Ireland used to have in the 70s and early 80s, this sudden good fortune feels very odd.

28. Thanks From:

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast