Thread: Murphy confident Cahill will stay with Cork next season

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Murphy confident Cahill will stay with Cork next season

From todays Examiner

This whispering about Ollie leaving is beginning to annoy me. I for one can't see City winning anything without ollie .

By Bill George
    CORK CITY’S dynamic left-winger Ollie Cahill will still be turning on the style at Turner’s Cross next season if manager Liam Murphy has his way.
    Shamrock Rovers were reported to be interested in Clonmel-born Cahill, 26, who is out of contract at the end of the season.

However, Murphy yesterday revealed that he had already spoken to the flying winger about an extension to his contract. He expressed confidence that Cahill would play for Cork again next season.

“Ollie has indicated to me that he is quite happy to stay with Cork and I have no reason to doubt him. This is not the time to be discussing the terms of new contracts, we are too busy trying to accumulate points in the League to allow any other matter get in the way,” he said.

Shamrock Rovers manager Damien Richardson said he was not focusing on recruiting new players or planning for next season. He said his team were too busy concentrating on their quest for the Carlsberg FAI Cup and the Eircom League titles. The drive to complete development of their new stadium is also in full flow.

“Work re-started on the stadium last Monday after we had received a substantial grant from the FAI. Everything is geared towards having it ready for the start of next season,” Richardson said.

He expressed satisfaction with the quality of the work.

“The playing pitch is beautiful and ready to use right now,” he said.

“It is a sand-based pitch and we have established access to a well under the surface so we will always have plenty of water on hand to help the grass grow.”

Richardson, who worked with Cahill when he was manager of Cork City for a couple of seasons, paid tribute to the winger.

“Ollie Cahill is the type of player I would love to be able to sign, but all our money is in the stadium.

“Because of our financial constraints we will finish the season with the staff we have. I said before Christmas that had we the opportunity to acquire one or two new players we would have had an exceptional squad, but the money was not available,” Richardson said.

“Like all managers I am always interested in top-class players and my hope is that in the near future Shamrock Rovers will again be able to compete for the top players. But right now that is pie in the sky and I must deal in reality.”

Cahill is recognised as one of the top players in the League. He has scored 28 goals in the 180 matches he has played for Cork over the past five years. This season he has scored six goals in 20 matches.

“I don’t have to tell you how important Ollie Cahill is to us and I think any player would be silly to want to leave the club now when we have an exciting young team developing fast,” manager Murphy said.

“But if a player said he wanted to leave then Shamrock Rovers is one of the clubs I would suggest to him.

“There has been a lot of publicity this week about Carlisle United and their manager Roddy Collins wanting to sign Irish players. It is a disgrace that players can be approached before the end of the season.

“It unsettles and distracts them. I would counsel any player to keep his options open. He might be impressed at what a manager tells him now, but what guarantee is there that the manager might not be gone before the ink on the contract is dry?”

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    “But if a player said he wanted to leave then Shamrock Rovers is one of the clubs I would suggest to him.

“There has been a lot of publicity this week about Carlisle United and their manager Roddy Collins wanting to sign Irish players. It is a disgrace that players can be approached before the end of the season.

“It unsettles and distracts them. I would counsel any player to keep his options open. He might be impressed at what a manager tells him now, but what guarantee is there that the manager might not be gone before the ink on the contract is dry?”
    What the hell is he on about there???? If you don't want clubs approaching your players then ensure they sign new contracts as they can only be approached in last 6 months of their contracts!! Some players have to make a living through so its obvious they'll explore their options to ensure they have a job at the end of the season.

http://www.forastrust.ie/

Bring back Rocketman!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Contracts

Surely contracts for key players such as Ollie C should have been sorted out long before they are due to expire, even if it is to protect your investment?
    don't worry, they couldn't hit an elephant at this dis......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anybody notice that he said that Ollie was "happy" at City? That must be a first for the Gunther out brigade
    As I say, we're just young & a bit nieve.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by scottyshedender
    Talking to the guy a year ago in Doyles, he was saying if he was lleaving City he would go to England, he said he would never join another Irish team, he said he couldnt do it
    he said the same in one of the papers last week cant think which one though either the echo os star
    soccer isn't a matter of life or death its more important than that!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Any club would like to get their hands on Ollie when he's on song, but that's a big when...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Originally posted by Troy.McClure
    Anybody notice that he said that Ollie was "happy" at City? That must be a first for the Gunther out brigade
    Now Troy, he's hardly going to say that it will be a struggle to keep him etc is he?

And from what I've read on the paper, I reckon Ollie is on his way out. He is using ambiguos statements as to how he wont sign til we are out of the running for the league. To me that sounds like stalling, but i spose at least he hasn't signed a pre contract agreement with anyone (which he is tottally entitled to do I think).
    City nknew his contract was coming to an end, so they should have nipped it in the bud months ago, not leave it til now.

IMO Ollie will leave, unfortunatly, but it will be bacause no axction will ahve been taken to stop him, making him look like the bad guy.

Board OUT!!!!
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Got a mail from a friend. His friend is a Carlisele fan and he says Roddy has his eye on the situation.............

he's about the 8th player from the NL RC is after

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    hearsay and conjecture i know but its one to think about.............

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I've been saying since Ollie first started getting abuse on this forum that Ollie is without a shadow of a doubt the best player the club has had for years. In fact he must be one of the favourites for EL player of the year this season. It would be disasterous if we were to lose him. I think this Sunday all the fans should let him know how much we want him to stay. Has anybody got any "Ollie sign up" chant ideas?

As for Roddy Collins' raping of the National league, I'm starting a new thread on the EL forum to see what members think about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    he may be raping the league but many players will get the exposure they deserve
    j'accuse!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    he may be raping the league but many players will get the exposure they deserve
    j'accuse!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    ollie is one of the best players at city- on his day. the guy is just too inconsistent for my liking. when he turns it, he's the best in the league in my book, but even yesterday, he was totally anonymous for most of the second half.